Do you do too much??

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pazzy

Reaction score
My question is;

Do you do too much for your customers?

I mean - do you put yourself out for them? Do they expect too much from you?

Say, its your day off and they are going somewhere really special and they broke a nail - but your knackered...do you do them - because its a one off - or maybe you wouldnt because they will expect this all the time?

I know when you first start off - you do - go to them on a Sunday...stay late for them...go really early etc.

Do you think when you do this they appreciate you or take you for granted?

Or have you fell out with anyone because you said 'no' to them and you had a genuine reason why you said 'no'.

Im just curious as to what everyone thinks, because most of the above has happened to me...sometimes its damned if you and damned if you dont.

im afraid i dont anymore!!!
i work 9 til 6 if they cant get to me then then theyll have to go elsewhere!! sorry lol
when i have been put on the spot to do a repair or suchlike, and i cant fit them in i reccomend other techs in the area, to go to,
i think some clients, expect me to cancel another client so i can fit them in, this i wont do!!

I think its something people do whilst they get established, you feel you will lose the business if you don't. I have a friend who works from home hairdressing and at times I have thought cripes you are being a bit blunt there when he has had a client ring up wanting fitting in at short notice. As he said though all his client know his working hours and theres plenty of them, if they can't get organised its not his problem. Easy for him to say I suppose hes booked up 5 weeks in front:eek:

The thing is with well established hairdressers - they wont take any crap - say what they think and the customer respects it - they wont risk their crowning glory with another hairdresser.

But with beauty/nails we spend so long with our clients on a personal level they think they know us so well they can in fact become our friends.

I have had clients say they expected me to do them a favour because they had been with me so long...its not fair really.

I go out my way all the time, like yesterday morn i was doing 2 repairs 8am cos one of my clients was going away for the weekend!

i have lost a client cos i couldn't drop every thing to repair her nail. It was my only day off in about 5Weeks and i was at the metro shoppin... she expected me to go home get my box and go to hers and do her nail. Its her loss not mine cos the girl that does her nails now is a horrendous nail technician.

From now on if i know i am too busy that day i dont work till 10pm gettin every one fit in i just say am fully booked and offer them another day!

x

The thing is with well established hairdressers - they wont take any crap - say what they think and the customer respects it - they wont risk their crowning glory with another hairdresser.

But with beauty/nails we spend so long with our clients on a personal level they think they know us so well they can in fact become our friends.

I have had clients say they expected me to do them a favour because they had been with me so long...its not fair really.
Hi pazzy, I know exactly what you're saying.

My clients see me as a friend,some have been with me for over 4 years and tbh it can be hard saying no...

I will go in if it's a wedding make up or something really important,but I know some that wont.I personally want to be there for my clients on the special occasions when possible.Everything else...other than wedding make up,I will try to book in before the big day.Make- up we cant get round though

I am good friends with some of my clients,I try to keep things on professional level but some you just click with:)

The problem is the more we do the more our clients expect...it's a vicious circle tbh,one that I have found myself trapped in many times.

if i can squeeze them in i will but i have had clients tutt cos i could not which i thought was rude...i think we all work hard and professionaly.... and need some credit!!!!!!!!!:green:

My question is;

Do you do too much for your customers? I do enough but know where to draw the line.....

I mean - do you put yourself out for them? To a point but not above and beyond Do they expect too much from you? Yep, but they're clients!

Say, its your day off and they are going somewhere really special and they broke a nail - but your knackered...do you do them - because its a one off - or maybe you wouldnt because they will expect this all the time? No, if it's my day off I wont do it. I tell all my clients my working hours and when I don't work, I tell them to ask if they need me but not be offended if I can;t do it!

I know when you first start off - you do - go to them on a Sunday...stay late for them...go really early etc.

Do you think when you do this they appreciate you or take you for granted? A bit of both tbh! They do appreciate it but also assume that if you have once you will again....

Or have you fell out with anyone because you said 'no' to them and you had a genuine reason why you said 'no'. Not fell out with anyone but I have turned away business. I turned down someone who offered to pay me double last New Years Eve, but we had friends coming for the evening so I said no....

Im just curious as to what everyone thinks, because most of the above has happened to me...sometimes its damned if you and damned if you dont. Ah, but that's the joy of working with the general public, lol!

I set my stall out clearly with all my clients - I tell them all I don;t do weekends but I do evenings instead. I always say never be afraid to ask me if I'm free because I'm not afraid to say no (with a smile on my face of course)!!!

It's easy to fall into the trap and hard to get out of! Although it can work both ways. Some clients try to take the mick and expect you to bend over backwards for them all the time. But I had one lady who was a new client. She wanted a luxury manicure on my day off because she was going away for a very special event early the next morning. So I put myself out and went round to her flat to do the treatment, but made it very very clear that this was a one-off. She's since become a good regular client and I know she's been spreading the word about me to her friends.

So it can work to your advantage sometimes to put yourself out for a client.

I find the more you do the more people will take. It's sad really I'd put myself out for anyone... but I find more often than not it's not appreciated. However that won't stop me doing it! guess I'm a sucker for punishment !

Well my thread was actually a bit of a spin off from the perfectionist thread in the nail forum...

that your giving so much to our clients (which to be fair they are paying for it - why shouldnt they recieve the best treatment possible?)

but also feel that when you get a new client and they say 'wow my last therapist didnt do that etc' you kind of feel they must/should be thankful they found you and cherish you...but I find the more you give - the more they take...

Its more frequent with nails - because if they loose one nail - for them the world has come to an end.

My hairdresser would never go out of her way for me...(and I love her to bits but she just wouldnt - does that mean I respect her more???)

We have to have so many personalities...its quite tiring.

Thanks for the replies so far.

When i first started and was a mobile at the time, I'd go out of my way for everyone & work all hours.
These days, I have stopped being mobile for all but 1 client and that's because it suits me.
What annoys me most is when clients think they can ring you/text you late at night, sunday mornings when I'm still in bed and stuff like that.

I used to go out of my way for clients, but not so much now. I have learn't to say 'I can't do that today, but can do it on this day or that day, I'm fully booked I'm afraid.'
Sometimes I'll say I'm fully booked even if I'm not because I feel like they are using me, and I'm not having that these days! It does not do them any harm to realise they are not the only person who's nails you do!:lol:

What annoys me most is when clients think they can ring you/text you late at night, sunday mornings when I'm still in bed and stuff like that.

I leave my phone off for most of Sunday and only put it on early evening to see if any of my Monday clients need me...... Mine all say 'sorry to bother you at the weekend' but do it anyway, lol!!!

I do tend to squeeze people in during weekday evenings - I figure I'm out anyway so being a bit later home is neither here nor there really...... But my weekends are precious to me and unless it's worth my while to work a saturday (generally a multiple wedding appt with multiple £'s attached) I don't do it......

Latest posts

Back