Do you ever worry about germs?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AmyLove

Reaction score
I've been looking into doing beauty or nails and I was just wondering if you ver worry about germs from clients? I have OCD so I am a bit of a germaphobe so I'm wondering if maybe working with hands and nails could trigger it? Do you ever worry about germs or touching clients hands? Sorry if this seems a silly question! :o

As long as you are personally hygienic then there are no issues. You can get the client to wash their hands, sanitize their hands and also there are hygiene sprays to use during manicures. If you wish you can also wear gloves.

No matter where you are you will be in contact with germs so as long as you work to maintain the highest standards of hygiene then you will be ok :)

I've been looking into doing beauty or nails and I was just wondering if you ver worry about germs from clients? I have OCD so I am a bit of a germaphobe so I'm wondering if maybe working with hands and nails could trigger it? Do you ever worry about germs or touching clients hands? Sorry if this seems a silly question! :o

It doesn't seem a silly question, it seems a sensible question and for you experiencing OCD, a very valid one. Hygiene is an important part of the treatment and you can take all the necessary steps to reduce any risk of cross contamination between you and your clients. You will learn all about this if you decide to continue in looking into training. :)

yes - im obsessive about scrubbing my hands before and after every customer - believe old fashioned hot soapy water and a nail brush and not sharing towels goes a long way to keeping germs at bay

if a customer has very dirty hands ill get them to give them a scrub but now im typing this im thinking really I should get them all to do it if its going to be a treatment that involves touching hands

Both I and my client use CND COOL BLUE hand sanitizer before every nail service ... I Wouldn't dream of not doing it. It is just second nature to me now.

I think we all worry about germs, it's part of our job and this is why we all (well good techs anyway:) take action to make our work environment as germ free as possible.

If you do everything right, I would go as far as saying that our work environments are cleaner than anywhere else.

So as long as you yourself follow good sanitation practices and ensure your clients do to, you will be fine.

I trained as a nail tech in january this year & was mortified to learn what the nail tech I'd used over the years had potentially exposed me to. I'd only ever gone to the same girl simply because her application work seemed faultless. I had nothing else to compare her standards with.

Since my training however I've learnt alot from this same nail tech as to how I shouldn't treat a client with regard to germs & contaminations.

As previously mentioned, washing hands, cleansing spray, proper cleansing of tools, towels changes etc etc all play their part in protecting both the client & yourself.

Yes and no.

Yes because I want to ensure that i create a safe and clean environment for myself and my clients and I don't want to risk spreading anything.

And no because I use the correct products which support a clean working environment which means I don't have to worry about it.

If you don't worry or think about it then you're an nss (can't remember what we're calling them now :o) who is endangering his/her clients and, quite frankly, shouldn't be in business.

Valid question.

One point I would make is that you should avoid touching your face until you have given your hands a thorough wash post-client. ( I'm not really a germaphobe, but it's the first thing when I do whenever I go home wherever I've been, shopping etc)

Also, sorry if this is preaching to the converted, the hand washing needs to include all areas of the hand, not just the palms.

Valid question.

One point I would make is that you should avoid touching your face until you have given your hands a thorough wash post-client. ( I'm not really a germaphobe, but it's the first thing when I do whenever I go home wherever I've been, shopping etc)

Also, sorry if this is preaching to the converted, the hand washing needs to include all areas of the hand, not just the palms.

Absolutely DP, taking extra care over the any dry areas as germs grab the dry areas and cling on! When we do our regular hand hygiene tests you can see under the ultra violet light, where the skin is dry and the coating that we use has not washed off properly.

Hi can i ask, when you do a dry pedicure, for example :
Microplane, then Callus peel treatment (or similar callus remover) then Gelish on toes would you spray the feet first with something? (because you can't soak feet before a gelish)

I know to use gloves whilst doing a pedi but I had a lady in who had been at work all day and her feet weren't in the best state, I gave her callus a once over with the microplane then put Gelish on her toes.

Hi can i ask, when you do a dry pedicure, for example :
Microplane, then Callus peel treatment (or similar callus remover) then Gelish on toes would you spray the feet first with something? (because you can't soak feet before a gelish)

I know to use gloves whilst doing a pedi but I had a lady in who had been at work all day and her feet weren't in the best state, I gave her callus a once over with the microplane then put Gelish on her toes.

The first thing I do before even doing my client's consultation for their treatment is give the feet a good spritz with Mundo hand and foot sanitizing spray and wipe over with cotton pads.
Just before the treatment, especially if it's a dry treatment such as Shellac, I go over the whole foot with CND Cool Blue, or the Mundo hand gel.

The first thing I do before even doing my client's consultation for their treatment is give the feet a good spritz with Mundo hand and foot sanitizing spray and wipe over with cotton pads.
Just before the treatment, especially if it's a dry treatment such as Shellac, I go over the whole foot with CND Cool Blue, or the Mundo hand gel.

Thanks for the info. I would have never thought of using hand gel on feet! dunno why tho :D

So you do the spray first then the gel too. Do you have to use both or would one suffice?

Thanks for the info. I would have never thought of using hand gel on feet! dunno why tho :D

So you do the spray first then the gel too. Do you have to use both or would one suffice?

I just use the mundo spray on my hands and then the clients hands/feet prior to every treatment.

I think if germs is one of your OCD issues then perhaps you need to think carefully of ways you could do beauty and nails without your OCD being triggered. You must remember that you do touch people and things that people touch thoughout your daily life - and if that does not worry you then doing nails and beauty may not. You could try polishing a friends nails - maybe putting their make up on too - and see how you feel - whether it triggers problems.

If it does, then you could wear gloves. Wearing gloves will remove all contact with the client and hopefully that will eliminate the 'germ factor' for you. Maybe choose the therapies and treatments where you would naturally wear gloves. Massage may be out, but waxing, pedicures and I am sure other treatments would be fine with gloves. I am sure manicures would be fine too.

I have OCD but germs is not one of my triggers so am fine. Have you undergone any treatment? If you see your doctor cognitive behavioural therapy is quite effective and also ssri medication. I have a very low dose of seroxat daily and its unbelievable the difference it has made to my OCD. If you want to pm me I could give you more info.

What I would say is try not to let your OCD stop you doing anything - follow your dreams - you may have to do things a little differently - but go for it!

x

Hi Amy,

Great question and as mentioned by others Mundo is fantastic and keeps my mind at rest! I only ever do dry treatments, so I always sanitise my hands first, and then either use the Mundo Hand Gel or Hand & Foot Spray on my clients.

Mundo also have a wide range of other products which keeps your salon germ free! I love the File & Abrasive spray as there is no other product out there like it, and it makes sure your files are free from any germs that may have been picked up.

Also to note Mundo is actaully a hospital grade product tested to Level 2! Which not many other beauty hygiene products are! It's good to know these things so that you can be sure you have a safe enviroment for you and your customers. :D

Hope you can overcome your worries and get going with the rest of us :hug: x

I tend to wear gloves for doing pedicures you can use latex or nirile, its perfectly acceptable and i think that clients quite like the idea that your being hygenic.... the same goes for doing manicures i have seen alot of videos on you
tube with people using gloves and i don't think it comes across as weird. Mundo do great santisers and a spray to spray your nail files with, barbacide to put your tools in etc..... Remember though that when your going to file nails you will get nail filing/dust this can be largely eliminated with an extraction fan under your nail table, but the dust can settle on your chest but if your clipping peoples toe nails you will have to deal with picking those up at some point and tidying up. There is only so much you can do with what is available, sprays. gloves etc.... but the rest really comes down to relaxing and relenquishing control, because otherwise its going to be very difficult for you to do anything... im afraid when your working with people in the beauty industry there is skin, hair, eyelashes nails involved and the shedding thereof

Latest posts

Back