Do you expect or want flowers on Valentines?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fab Freak

Reaction score
I have just been asked by a colleague if I have had any flowers yet for valentines and my answer was no and I don’t expect any.

Mainly because I think the price you have to pay for flowers on one day of the year is ridiculous and to be quite honest I’d rather have some when I least expect it.

So this made me wonder how many of my fellow geeks either…..

are you disappointed if you don’t get flowers today?

Or are you okay with not having a bouquet delivered on Valentines?

:Kissing: :hug: :Love: to you on all on St Valentines

I don't mind, the most we do is cards. I think valentines day is a bit overrated it seems to be the more someone spends on you the more they love you!

I'd rather have flowers, meal etc when I least expect it makes it nicer as its more romantic :Love: instead of feeling like you should do it because the shops say so :irked:

The whole idea of being romantic is that you do it because you want to and love the person not because people tell you to.

The whole idea of being romantic is that you do it because you want to and love the person not because people tell you to.

I completely agree. Hubby and I just get a card for each other....but only a cheap one..not a huge teddy bear covered padded monstrosity! :lol:

I agree, flowers are so expensive on V day, and normally the quality is poor too and they don't last long. However I was hoping to go out for a lovely meal tonight. I said to my b/f weeks and weeks ago that we must book up a table or we'll never get in anywhere like last year, and he winked at me and said it's all sorted! So last night I asked him where are we going and he said he hadn't booked anywhere. Now, I thought, he's double bluffing ......... but he's not :cry: and I so wanted to go to Fat Olives in Emsworth, it's my fave, real 5 star cooking just perfect for a Taurean in lurve!! So I've got to go and see if Jamie Oliver can rustle us up something in Sainsburys. ....and I'm going to buy myself some flowers while I'm there!!!!

Still he's bought me a pressie which I shall get tonight so maybe he can still redeem himself.

I'm not heavily into the whole Valentines Day thing - but we swap cards and a present, not necessarily romantic. We've both got each other CD's this year :lol:

Although yellow roses are my favourite (so much so I have a tattoo of one :wink2: ) and I found a single one :Love: with my newspaper this morning, either my paper boy has a thing for older women, or Hubby loves me lots!!

Happy Valentines Day Geeks :hug:

Trin
xx

I got flowers! And I love getting them on valentines day! Although I do think V day is overated, I do get swept up in it!

Anthony came home on Saturday with a huge bouquet of lilys (my favourite) with pussy willow and it's the most beautiful bunch of flowers I've ever had!

Then he cooked us swordfish steaks with roasted vegetables in a balsmic vinegar dressing - absolutely gorgeous!

We drank champagne and then ............

......................................................x-rated action - hooray!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ive just had 12 red roses delivered - they are gorgeous and as not had any for a while I was v chuffed. Altho - I did know they were coming cos had told hubby that I was going to see my Mum today (who lives 1hr away) and was told i couldnt go out today!! So did have an inkling as to what was going on. however, still love them! Few of our friends have been going thro really bad times at mo, relationship wise, so just makes you appreciate your loved one even more.

I'm with you lot - not really bothered that much these days, this year we both agreed not to even bother buying cards, and then we went and forgot it was Valentine's Day anyway until we heard it on the radio! LOL

Sean's very good, for years while I was still living in the UK and travelling over to Ireland every month, he'd meet me at the airport with a huge bunch of flowers, never forgot, even when he was skint he'd be there with my flowers!

These days he'll treat me (for no reason) when he gets a bit of extra in his pay packet, and I think the unexpected surprises are the best! As an example, I lost my gold watch back in October (I think), I was heartbroken because it had been my treat to myself when I sold my house and moved over here. Neither of us really had any spare money to 'waste frivolously' on a new one for me so I just thought I'd have to wait until we'd saved up a bit, but then just before Xmas he phones me up saying "Go buy your watch".... he'd just been told he was getting €500 extra that week and the first thing he did was phone me to tell me I could go choose a new watch that week! Awwwww! He's not the worst! :Kissing:

JackieMc said:
I'm with you lot - not really bothered that much these days, this year we both agreed not to even bother buying cards, and then we went and forgot it was Valentine's Day anyway until we heard it on the radio! LOL

Sean's very good, for years while I was still living in the UK and travelling over to Ireland every month, he'd meet me at the airport with a huge bunch of flowers, never forgot, even when he was skint he'd be there with my flowers!

These days he'll treat me (for no reason) when he gets a bit of extra in his pay packet, and I think the unexpected surprises are the best! As an example, I lost my gold watch back in October (I think), I was heartbroken because it had been my treat to myself when I sold my house and moved over here. Neither of us really had any spare money to 'waste frivolously' on a new one for me so I just thought I'd have to wait until we'd saved up a bit, but then just before Xmas he phones me up saying "Go buy your watch".... he'd just been told he was getting €500 extra that week and the first thing he did was phone me to tell me I could go choose a new watch that week! Awwwww! He's not the worst! :Kissing:

:cry: awww thats lovely...what a darling

It would be nice if my other half did get me flowers or something but I am used to him not worrying on valentines day as he also thinks along the lines that why just do something because its valentines day he would rather just suprise me when he feels like it which isnt very often anymore lol-nevermind iot does wear off after a few years of being together. But I am just used to that now lol. But I was really shocked when he actually wanted to do something this year and he is taking me out to a nice restaurant. I am not too bothered about flowers just as long as he shows me he cares and perhaps thinks to get me a card on valentines day. Its the thought really to show that he is romantic. Its definately a turn up for the books that he wants to celebrate it this year though!!! Yeahhhh :lol:

No I never get any flowers but maybe thats because :p I don't really appreciate them but I do get a lovely pressie and card.

I did send some lovely flowers to my mum.

Sal said:
I got flowers! And I love getting them on valentines day! Although I do think V day is overated, I do get swept up in it!

Anthony came home on Saturday with a huge bouquet of lilys (my favourite) with pussy willow and it's the most beautiful bunch of flowers I've ever had!

Then he cooked us swordfish steaks with roasted vegetables in a balsmic vinegar dressing - absolutely gorgeous!

We drank champagne and then ............

......................................................x-rated action - hooray!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wayda go Sal, looks like you got your man well trained. Our fist ever valentines day herman sent me a little parcel to where i used to work, inside was his last rolo!!!!! that was 8 years ago and i still have it LOL

I like flowers and meals unexpectadly (wrong spelling i know, mi brains mashed today) it makes you really appreciate each other, we now make a point of turning tv off and sitting at the dining table with a bottle of chamagne and a nice meal, it beats going out!!!!

Amanda

We have always bought cards but this year we have have not as hubby is out of a job in 2 weeks he has done 22 years in the Army now needs to find a job!
Also we are painting the whole house througout and buying new bedding, curtains, and all the bits and bobs and as we have 5 kids there is a lot of money being spent so we thought we would save a few penny's.
I really do not mind not having for V day.
Carolyn xxx

I actually don't like cut flowers on any given day. There's just something about it that unsettles me.

I realise Valentine's Day is about fun but I really don't rate it personally. If someone insists on presenting me with anything, I prefer it to be a living plant.

Well he redeemed himself! Got a bottle of my favourite Jo Malone perfume, their packaging is a present in itself. Yummy! (and Jamie did us proud too)

Lily said:
Wayda go Sal, looks like you got your man well trained. Our fist ever valentines day herman sent me a little parcel to where i used to work, inside was his last rolo!!!!! that was 8 years ago and i still have it LOL

I like flowers and meals unexpectadly (wrong spelling i know, mi brains mashed today) it makes you really appreciate each other, we now make a point of turning tv off and sitting at the dining table with a bottle of chamagne and a nice meal, it beats going out!!!!

Amanda

Yes I think there is something more special about eating in together.

Awww, that's so sweet about the last rolo - I'm like you Amanda in that I would have kept the rolo too. I am such a sentimental sloppy person, I am the type who keeps bus tickets from a special night out!

i too think flowers are to expensive especially ones that get delivered, rob got me pride and predjudice on dvd (i have the vidoe but i am a jane austin saddo)
i buy myself flowers everyweek from the supermarket when i do my shop.usually lillies

joannerowsell said:
i too think flowers are to expensive especially ones that get delivered, rob got me pride and predjudice on dvd (i have the vidoe but i am a jane austin saddo)
i buy myself flowers everyweek from the supermarket when i do my shop.usually lillies

I guess it depends on a variety of factors in an individuals life as to whether flowers are desired on valentines day.

Joanne - I think it's great that you get yourself flowers every week and this is something I decided a long time ago that I would like to do. My mum does it and I love the way flowers really do brighten up a room.

However, buying flowers for myself is currently a luxury I can't afford, so when I do get them it means a lot to me - they are a rare treat!

i love getting flowers whenever but especially on valentines! however not red roses as they cost a fortune! i cant believe how much they put the prices up on valentines! matt got me a beautiful bunch of flowers and a card and we ate in together (i always find that eating out for valentines is cramped , the food is not as good and the service is awfull, they are too busy trying to get you out and get some1 else in!)

a friend of mine recieved a massive bunch of flowers at her work with a love letter written in french (yes she is french) but it wasnt from her boyfriend! she is yet to figure it out, how romantic! the boyf had a touch of the green eyed monster he-he!

I love flowers esp Lillies i had them for my wedding, three large Cala Lillies. I like getting them too, but more so unexpectadly rather than them thinking well its valentines so i best get them.

Amanda

Latest posts

Back