Do you feel a useful member of the Geek community?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Am I a useful member of the Geek community?

• Yes, I always try to start a thought-provoking thread!

Votes: 1 1.8%
  • Yes, but I'll usually try to use my knowledge to answer someone else's posts.

Votes: 28 49.1%
  • Not sure. I'll always search any answer I need first but always try to make some contribution.

Votes: 24 42.1%
  • Not really. I'll just answer people's posts for something to do.

Votes: 2 3.5%
  • No. I lurk, read posts for my own benefit but never answer any.

Votes: 2 3.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

hotnailz

Reaction score
The reason i've asked this is because I always feel like a spare wheel when I come on here. :cry: (not because the people are unfriendly....quite the reverse!:hug: )
I love coming on here and either trawling the forums or, if I want to know anything specific, I'll use the search option. In fact, the search option is so good, I don't think I've ever posted a valid question on this site - i've usually always found the answer on a previous thread!! I'm always a bit nervy posting a new thread cos I think people will be rolling their eyes!!
How do you feel when you log onto SalonGeek?

I dont feel i have that much to offer tbh which is why i subscribed to to the community so that i could put something back (if that makes sense)

logging on is like having a box of chocs, you never know what you will find.

You may think that you are having a really bad day and then come on here and someone else is having a bad day too so you dont feel so bad, some geeks cheer you up when you are feeling down, make you laugh and also tell you off for being soooo silly.

It's a place to come and share important things too, it's my working enviroment, as I work from home I get the banter on here, the questions and the answers too.

Every time I come on I learn something new, it might be nails related or skin or hair, It's a mine of USEFUL information and it keeps me from my housework.

To be honest I come on hear to learn, network, find out what's going on in the industry etc.

If I can give a little help to someone once in a while then I do.
I don't consider myself as being one of the most knowledgeable geeks.

But yeah, it's nice when you know you've helped someone!:)

its great for training techs although, for experienced geeks its probably a bit annoying when new geeks ask all the same questions, then they disappear never to be seen again!
Sometimes i feel nervous asking and maybe misunderstand someones reply and think iv peed them off, but it is the written word and sometimes misread, like texts!!!
All in all im so glad i stumbled on this site!!:)

I hope i am useful?:green: but who knows !!

I come on here to SAP new information & techniques....i feel i give... as well as take.

I have made some SUPER mates on here to:hug:

However....i do tend to shy away from MEATY debates....anything that too over my head technical.

I feel exactly the same as you Jane. I hope that in recent weeks I've been a bit more helpful than I have in the past.

It's all down to knowledge and experience. I don't always feel confident enough to answer someone's question, so someone else will and I turn out to be right a lot of the time. Need to take a brave pill!

Have made some fab mates on here, and hope that if I'm a bit pants on the threads I'm quite helpful in the journals. :hug:

Well being a relative newbie I'm not very useful at all - but I do try!:o:lol:

I log on every day (sometimes more than once!) and learn something new from most posts that I read, and I read everything.:eek:

If I feel I do know something and can help then I will post.

Can't wait til I'm one of those geeks which are able to help other newbies 'cos you've all been wonderful.:Love:

My role on the site is as an Educator. It has always been my role. But as with most teachers, I learn allot form my students too.

I certainly give more than I take, but then again that is also my role and I don't expect it to be any other way.

I enjoy every minute. I also like to stir things up a bit when it gets a bit dull around here. :lol:

The main forum was always for education ... factual education so if you aren't sure of your facts, then it's best not to answer technical questions.

As for new ones asking 'the same old thing' ...,. it's only the same old thing to you, for them it is a NEW thing. I never mind answering the same questions again and again and if others get bored of the same old same old, then move on and don't look at those questions. Leave them to the likes of me who does not mind answering the new ones. that is what this site is for. :eek:

Good question Hotnailz!

Well being a relative newbie I'm not very useful at all - but I do try!:o:lol:

I log on every day (sometimes more than once!) and learn something new from most posts that I read, and I read everything.:eek:

If I feel I do know something and can help then I will post.

Can't wait til I'm one of those geeks which are able to help other newbies 'cos you've all been wonderful.:Love:
Well Missy~ You are one of those geeks who help others. You may not realize it but you helped me in the skin (mineral makeup).:hug:

Everyone on here is so very helpful. When I came aboard about a month ago, I was scared and felt out of my depth.
Running with some really big dogs here. Everyone here has for the most part made me feel welcome.

Always remember, There isn't any question that is a stupid question if You are going to learn from it. Knowledge is power and no one can take that away from you.
No one is going to roll their eyes, and if they do, you won't see it ;) Post your questions, post your knowledge. You never know that the answer you give may be totally different from anyone else's, but it might be the answer that the poster is looking for.

I would like to think i use the site appropriately,it's all about a balance of give and take imo .

I try my best and am extremely greatfull to everyone who gives their time,knowledge and support to make this what it is :Love:.

I am also very grateful for the advice the people on this site have given me :hug:. I hope to someday have the knowledge to return to others! (might be a while):eek: !

I enjoy every minute. I also like to stir things up a bit when it gets a bit dull around here. :lol:

Aw when was that? I must have been out that day!!!!! :green: :lol: :green: !!!

I always think the geek site is like a huge party!

You get the real party goers who just get on and have a ball, throw their handbags on the floor and have a good bop around them and don't care how daft or daring they look :green: (okay okay I'm really showing my age at that handbag comment!!).

Then you get those who need a helping hand all the way, they can't even go to the loo on their own. :hug:

Then you get those that sit at the edge like wallflowers, so wanting to join in but don't quite have the bottle to get up. Then suddenly their fave song comes on and awaaaay they go!!! :Grope:

Then you have the party poopers, those who do nothing but moan and pick fault and are never happy unless they are being negative and making sure everyone feels as bitter as them. :irked:

Then you have the gatecrashers ... they get banned!!! :lol:

Hmm I think I fall in the raving handbag boppers brigade, although sometimes I'm happy to be a wallflower, take a breather and let somebody else jump in and have fun!

I always think the geek site is like a huge party!

You get the real party goers who just get on and have a ball, throw their handbags on the floor and have a good bop around them and don't care how daft or daring they look :green: (okay okay I'm really showing my age at that handbag comment!!).

Then you get those who need a helping hand all the way, they can't even go to the loo on their own. :hug:

Then you get those that sit at the edge like wallflowers, so wanting to join in but don't quite have the bottle to get up. Then suddenly their fave song comes on and awaaaay they go!!! :Grope:

Then you have the party poopers, those who do nothing but moan and pick fault and are never happy unless they are being negative and making sure everyone feels as bitter as them. :irked:

Then you have the gatecrashers ... they get banned!!! :lol:

Hmm I think I fall in the raving handbag boppers brigade, although sometimes I'm happy to be a wallflower, take a breather and let somebody else jump in and have fun!

Lol...that's a cracking analogy Sass!:green: I'm definitely a wallflower! (but sometimes need someone to go to the loo with!!)

I usually feel like a bit of a spare part. I feel unable to critique as I really don't know what I am looking for in a good nail yet and there is so much i still don't know.

However since starting my thread on nail trauma with my nealy sliced off finger tip I feel like I have made a difference as even the experts are learning from my nail with stiches in it!!

Aw, Sas, we've always had so much in common:lol::hug:

I ticked the middle one as I don`t really know!
I feel a bit like you Jane, as I normally find what i`m looking for by searching!!! I try not to rant often and try to be encouraging to newbies as it wasn`t too long ago that I was there!
I will answer techy questions if I am confident in my answer, but I find some days there is lots to say and others I can`t think of a damn thing!! :)
All I know is that I probably wouldn`t be doing what i`m doing now if it wasn`t for this site, its been mt best friend, my tutor and at times like a bible (not that i am religious but you get my drift) so thanks Salongeek :hug: x

The reason i've asked this is because I always feel like a spare wheel when I come on here. :cry: (not because the people are unfriendly....quite the reverse!:hug: )
I love coming on here and either trawling the forums or, if I want to know anything specific, I'll use the search option. In fact, the search option is so good, I don't think I've ever posted a valid question on this site - i've usually always found the answer on a previous thread!! I'm always a bit nervy posting a new thread cos I think people will be rolling their eyes!!
How do you feel when you log onto SalonGeek?
When I first joined the site I was all take, take take, but then that's no different to the majority of members when they first join, we come here for help and advice and we're fortunate enough to have some of the best in the business to help, advise and guide us... and all FREE OF CHARGE :green:
After a while we begin to help and offer advice, more often without realising it, we tell people about our experiences and it might be something they've not come across before so even if we're not offering specific advice our queries get answered and in turn it helps a lot more members who wouldn't have necessarily asked that question.
NEVER STOP ASKING QUESTIONS :D

Have you been on another planet while Geeg has been selecting one of her wooden spoons? LMAO :lol: :lol:

I feel like being quiet some days (albeit not very often lol) and on other days I try my best to offer help, even if it's just a link to another thread that could be of some use to the member with the query.

I started off being quite a naive newbie tech when I first joined the site, I've gained a heck of a lot of knowledge and somewhere along the way I felt brave enough to reply to someone else's problem, then the sky was the limit, if I knew the answer (or one of the many answers) I'd reply to the best of my knowledge, even if it only helped a little bit, a little bit is better than none at all, right?

There's nothing I love more than seeing a thread with lots of different replies, all of which are of help to the member who needs help and advice, we learn through others and if we only learn a little bit each day then it means we're more knowledgeable than we were the previous day.
It's all good stuff :D

As for new ones asking 'the same old thing' ...,. it's only the same old thing to you, for them it is a NEW thing. I never mind answering the same questions again and again and if others get bored of the same old same old, then move on and don't look at those questions. Leave them to the likes of me who does not mind answering the new ones. that is what this site is for. :eek:

Brilliant words Gigi!
I'ts so true when you think of it that way, personally I don't mind the same question over and over , as we get different replies and I like reading them ,

I hovered for a bit before posting for the first time,
I read and read and read, until I got gozzy eyes,
I have tutorials printed off in a file,
I have Nail tech books ,
and a pile of scratch mags that I could do with a spare room for!
but I still have a million questions that I need to ask,

I try to help if I think I can, It will be something I have came across
or something I have read, been told , etc... but thats how we all learn,

as I told my daughter the other day when she was crying and stressing over homework ,
she didn't want to use a calculator, she thought that would be cheating..
and I told her...

"Don't be daft, nobody ever just KNOWS an answer, you have to LEARN an answer, whether that be from , reading,
asking somebody else, or searching in google!!!
Now you can sit and struggle for hours on your own, getting into a state,
or you can ask for help and learn from it."

Her teacher backed me up all the way, and said
"Find out your answers by whatever means possible, just take it all in and work hard to learn from it , and expand on it"

I would like to help a lot more one day, but I need to learn myself first :D

Had to put not sure......

Reason? - I try and help by passing on my knowledge but generally start new threads which I would hope, are deemed to be interesting :lol: as I do not always have the time to read all the posts, so apologies for that :lol:

I don't always get involved in a lot of the debates as usually it will have been already discussed and my thoughts will have been voiced by someone already!

To be honest, I love testing my brain cells and researching and learning something new (like my foot binding thread :eek: )which I can share with you all :hug:

Latest posts

Back