Do you give nail biters long nails?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I always advise against long nails on a biter.

Explaining that they have to learn to use their hands a new way (show them a few examples of how nails get in the way, like wiping counters and hiting backsplashes, opening drawers, scrubbing pots, etc) and how every time they bash them, they will cause lift and breakage and then they odds of NNO's become slim because they bash them about. I do the whole spiel on how I was a biter.. etc.. ALSO how as biters, we often put our hands in our mouths without realizing, applying pressure....which can cause lift.
Then explain that a full set of 'short' nails looks MUCH nicer than long ones with 1 to 4 broken.
etc etc
I show them pics of clients hands that started short and gradually got used to them and now sport lovely NNO's.

IF they still insist, and come back all banged up to hell and back, I make a deal with them.
I tell them "see, they're banged up because you're not used to them. It's natural that you get breakage and lift like this when you've never had anything at the end of your finger before. You could hit the ends of your fingers on anything no problem BUT now, we have nails and theyr'e crashing into everything. How about we shorten them, and see what the difference is at your next appointment. How about you trust a former biter, and you'll see that there will be less damage. If I can go from biter to long nails, you can too! I KNOW that you can do it. If you still want them longer, I'll extend them free of charge"
And so far... I've won that battle. Not a single one went back to having them longer, and they are all slowly growing them into lovely nno's.
Most are so pleased with themselves that they didn't break any, they keep them shorter and get used to them. I make sure to praise them profusely when they've returned with less and less damage, slowly getting used to them. A little free art here and there as a "congrats gift".

My "reformed biters" are my best and most loyal clients.

Try that route, and see how it works.

:hug:

Latest posts

Back