Do you go with your gut feelings?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blossom

Reaction score
About 3 years ago when I was starting out I went to a shop which sold nursing/beauty tunics, and other equipment. I had phoned after viewing their brochure and they had got 3 in for me to try on in different sizes.

The shop entrance was in a back street which surprised me. Looked like a well stocked shop but no customers. A man politely greeted me by name and asked me to follow him. (He locked the door after I went in to the shop:eek: :eek: . By now I'm thinking this is weird, heart pounding). He made to lead me up a narrow staircase so that I could "try on the tunics in the fitting rooms on the first floor". Well I had my toddler with me at the time and was taking absolutely no chances, I said to him "I just need to grab something from the car a second" and dragged my little girl soooo fast to the door, unlocked it and was out, stuffed her in the car, jumped in and locked the doors. I was off without seatbelt or anything. (I'm a bit quivery just re-living it actually).

I still think about that sometimes. I had to just get out of there, every fibre of my body was telling me something was up.

Have you ever heard of a shop that works like that? Where one person is manning it so they have to lock you in (OK the key was still in the door) and go upstairs with you while you try on?

I'd be interested to hear what you make of this. Also if you have had anything happen to you where your gut feeling made you act the way you did.

Thanks for reading.

I don't know whether that place was genuine or not, but I do know that if you were uncomfortable, you did the right thing by getting out of there. I think to an extent you have to trust your instincts when you're in a situation like that. I'd have probably reacted in the same way as you.

Better safe than sorry! Especially as you had your child with you.

I don't know whether that place was genuine or not, but I do know that if you were uncomfortable, you did the right thing by getting out of there. I think to an extent you have to trust your instincts when you're in a situation like that. I'd have probably reacted in the same way as you.

Better safe than sorry! Especially as you had your child with you.

I do wonder if I over-reacted - I don't care, but I do wonder. The shop's still there . . .

Trust your gut...........it's never wrong. Whenever I've made wrong choices in my life, I've always looked back and admitted to myself that I knew it was the wrong decision but I chose to ignore it.

I always trust my gut feelings. I have a situation in my salon at the moment and I have had a 'gut feeling' about this for a while. I am now starting to open a complete can of worms over the last few days. I usually get a hunch when someone is being dishonest or disloyal, but like Brow Queen said sometimes we ignore it - i think i don't want to believe things sometimes!

i think you did the right thing if you felt uncomfortable but i can't help but think that maybe he locked the door behind him because he was in the shop on his own and while he was dealing with you upstairs anybody could have come in and robbed the place? That could give you piece of mind that something horrble wasn't going to happen afterall. Having said that he should of said why he was locking the door really.

have you seen this shop or the guy in the news lately? LOL

would write to this person explaining how you felt as im sure if he is genuine he would apreciate some feedback and make changes as this cost him a sale, and could cost him more in the future

YOU ABSOLUTELY DID THE RIGHT THING. Trust me. God gave women instincts because he made some men such b@st@rds.

I totally believe in gut feelings or instinctive feelings.Most animals still have theirs and go with them and we are but animals but we often choose to ignore them to our detriment.
Ive always instilled the importance of listening to your gut feelings to my children especially in terms of trusting adults or situations where other people are trying to get you to do something.Ive always said to them if it doesnt feel right even if you dont know why, dont do it because your instincts are telling you you could be in danger.

I agree with what everyone else has said. I always 100% go with my gut instinct. Mother nature gave it to us.
You did the right thing. :hug: xx

I think better to be able to talk about your gut instincts rather than ignore them and maybe not be here now to tell the tale.

Sorry if I seem meladramatic but you just cant take chances with things like this.It could have been perfectly innocent and probably was but I wouldn't have taken that risk not for all the tea in China:green:

I havn't been in a situation where it's directly affected my own safety but I wish I had intervened when I had gut instincts over a lady living above me years ago.

She was making strange noises for a long time,and I thought she may have a special needs person with her or something.I wasn't happy and said as much to my then boyfriend.

He didn't want me to go up to her flat,told me it wasn't my problem,when I suggested it could be her.

Anyway 2 days later police knocked on our door and she had had a fit and banged her head.She had died.I will never forgive myself,tears in my eyes thinking about this now and I was only 19 at the time.

Wish I had followed my gut instinct I can tell you.

I think better to be able to talk about your gut instincts rather than ignore them and maybe not be here now to tell the tale.

Sorry if I seem meladramatic but you just cant take chances with things like this.It could have been perfectly innocent and probably was but I wouldn't have taken that risk not for all the tea in China:green:

I havn't been in a situation where it's directly affected my own safety but I wish I had intervened when I had gut instincts over a lady living above me years ago.

She was making strange noises for a long time,and I thought she may have a special needs person with her or something.I wasn't happy and said as much to my then boyfriend.

He didn't want me to go up to her flat,told me it wasn't my problem,when I suggested it could be her.

Anyway 2 days later police knocked on our door and she had had a fit and banged her head.She had died.I will never forgive myself,tears in my eyes thinking about this now and I was only 19 at the time.

:hug: to youxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

You poor thing, what an awful thing to carry with you. It was her time, I am sure she wouldnt want you to feel guilty about it.
Lots of hugs
Rachel

Latest posts

Back