Do you have a problem with product odor??

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

geeg

Judge Gigi-Honorary Geek
Reaction score
Thought I would share a few tips with all of you Liquid & Powder users who may :?: :?: I say MAY because it is not the case with everyone - be producing a more than necessary amount of odor in whatever setting you are doing nails - salon, home, booth etc. Do you have any to share with us?

An odor problem or an excess amount of odor is completely avoidable if you work with good habits and an understanding of WHY you are causing it.

First of all, how long is that dappen dish open while you are working? I am assuming that we are all working with a covered dappen dish right? (Pumps are not a good idea for monomer) Maximum of ten minutes? It is NOT the dappen dish that is causing the problem.

1. How often do you wipe your brush whilst working and where do you wipe it?
2. Where and into what do you throw your waste materials?

The answers to these two questions form 90% of where your odor comes from AND if you make the appropriate changes, I guarantee you will reduce the odor in the work place by 80% :!:

Monomer liquid is expensive - so don't waste it by wiping it out of your brush to acheive the right mix!! Make the right mix first time every time by getting to know your brush, how much liquid it holds and making the correct size bead every time. :shock:

Avoid wiping your brush (when you have to wipe it) on a tissue or paper. The paper just spreads the liquid area larger as it absorbs and creates a tremendous amount of odor. Instead, use a gauze or other lint-free pad that has been slightly dampened with sanitising solution and place it where it is easy to wipe your brush on. Because the pad is already slightly damp, it draws the liquid from your brush into the pad and traps the odor. A second benefit is that you are less likely to lean in it with your wrist whilst working!! :(

Lastly ... always store your waste materials in a METAL bin (trash can). Plastic bins are porous and just let the odor seep out of them and into the room. Using a metal bin alone will reduce odor significantly. :p

Very informative and timely... great topic as well!
In school we were taught to place any smelly stuff into a small ziplock bag to keep odors down. Does this not work because of the plastic? I did not know that plastic could not hold in the odors..
I tend to wipe my brush before I go for more. Is this not neccesary? I am worried about any extra acrylic that is on my brush contaminating my pot of monomer..
Any thoughts?

Hi Christie,

Thought we'd get round to talking one of these days! ;)
There is nothing wrong with wiping your brush before you go for more - or to reshape etc. But if your mix ratio is right, most of the time there will be no need to wipe off excess. Still nothing wrong with that type of wiping or to reshape your brush etc.

What I was really refering to was the habit of - loading your brush - then deliberately offloading excess monomer before picking up the powder :!: Don't know who started this practice (actually I do!) , but I see it alot and it is very costly, wasteful, and helps to create a very unpleasent atmosphere in the working vicinity.

Equally wasteful is the one where you place the bead on the nail and then wipe excess out of the brush before starting to press and smooth the bead into place. If the mix is correct there should be no excess to get rid of. Actually this wiping thing becomes an automatic habit which is a good one to start to break.

Fraid ziplock bags are not effective at eliminating odor for long - only tidying up. :p Most all grades of plastic have some porosity and the lower grades such as used in bags and bins and shampoo bottles etc are the most porous.

Odor is as bad a problem as the technician makes it really. It is easy to minimise it.

I have enjoyed your posts very much and the pictures of your work. I have much respect :salute:

'avoid wiping your brush (when you have to wipe it) on a tissue or paper. The paper just spreads the liquid area larger as it absorbs and creates a tremendous amount of odor. Instead, use a gauze or other lint-free pad that has been slightly dampened with sanitising solution and place it where it is easy to wipe your brush on. Because the pad is already slightly damp, it draws the liquid from your brush into the pad and traps the odor. A second benefit is that you are less likely to lean in it with your wrist whilst working!! '

:huh: wont wiping the brush on sanitising solution on the lint free pad contaminate the brush and comtaminate products :(

as im also working from home ,i have been trying out my cnd products :D and find they do smell a lot,(im used to odourless), i have done all the things mentioned above and still have a linering smell which is very strong :? . this morning i went down stairs and could still smell the products :x .does any one else have these problems who work from home,(i even had the extractor on in the kitchen and the conservatory doors open),i could live with the smell but its my boy friend and daughter its not nice for them.especially as my little nail room is upstairs next to the bedrooms.so they would off moaned even more if i had done upstairs last night :? i want to praticise now but they will moan about the smell, does any one of little extractor that is cheap and works well ,or who would be the best people to see at olympia about them .

I work from home at the moment in my dining room which is part of my lounge so very public place as far as the family goes. I only pour out enough monomer to do the service I am doing and then all waste is placed in a metal bin. I empty the bin at the end of the day so it is not there all night. I have a Fuminator which does help with the filing dust and odours.

If the smell gets too bad then I will open a window or door or burn some aromatherapy oils.

As I work from home and not in a salon doing nails on the hour every hour the smell never seems that bad.

The odour is there to protect us I think - when it is too strong, it gives the brain the message I'VE HAD ENOUGH TAKE A BREAK.

hey thanks for the info, all this time I have been using a wire basket as a trash can :oops: I will start hunting for a metal one as I haven't seen any around in ages. You really wipe your brush on gauze? Do you buy it in bulk somehow cuz I am thinking if you buy it in the band-aid isle by the box you are spending a small fortune! Thanks for the post!

"back in the day" I used to use paper towels and you are so right, the odor was much stronger. For 2 1/2 yrs now, I've used towelettes (TT) and they are very strong and soak up the odor. The 1st class I took from one of her educators went through an odor control segment which detailed the closed trash can and a pop top container for the towelettes after use. No matter what system I use, I still follow those rules and I've noticed a big difference in the odor. I use an "el cheapo" air machine that I bought from Eckerds and I tell ya, I have virtually no odor with the lines I use. I enjoy odorless acrylics but the set up time is slower. Therefore, I'm using both. (traditional & odorless) Thanks for reiterating the odor control rules!

Blessings!

i did all them things .used a metal bin with lid closed ,only poured out enough monomer and put a dappen lid on ,then when i finished with monomer soaked it into some kitchen roll and put it in the metal bin.but it still really smelt some im gonna need an extractor or something whats the best sort to get, any advice would be great so i can get some thing from olympia,but i dont want to waste money on a rubbish one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back