Do you have a telephone voice lol ?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

~Emmsybabes~

Reaction score
I have just phoned a client and got her voicemail...so I panicked a bit as you do lol....then came the dreaded beeeeep...
So I left a message,
I realised I had all of a sudden turned in to Colleen McLoughlin lol.....where the scouse accent came from i don't know hahaha....

Do you have a telephone voice?
why does it happen though :green:

Also apparently I have a "nail" voice....when I start talking technical nail stuff lol...apparently my voice changes to "posh" and I start using my hands a lot to talk :lol:

lol yup i have one too :lol:, i narmally talkk like thiis (trying to make it sound like what i sound like )
but when i client phones i am like "ooh helllooo, oh yes we offer premium services " hahaha :lol:

I haven't really noticed that I have a phone voice but lots of people say I sound posh on the phone - just goes to show that they dont know me :lol:

And yes - I do think you sound like Colleen Mcloughlin - in the flesh! :lol:

I haven't really noticed that I have a phone voice but lots of people say I sound posh on the phone - just goes to show that they dont know me :lol:

i've been told this as well, i can't say i've ever noticed it myself

Me too - but I really try not too.
It comes from my old job, I used to spend all day talking to really snobby people.... so had to develop a 'posh' phone voice - which did my nut in, but I was very good at! Lol

Now I try to sound neutral.... neither common or posh - just friendly, polite and professional.
That way, I can limit a new client's negative preconcieved ideas about me... Like
'oh, she sounded quite common - better hide the silver!'
or
'Better make sure I hoover, dust, wash the dog etc - coz she sounded like a bit of a snob!'
Lol.

I definitely have a telephone voice .... wish I was just as articulate all the time actually.

I sure do! It's ridiculous, I get this crazy accent that I can't quite pin point, but and the tone of my voice goes higher and higher! I have no idea why lol :)

yes, apparently I sound like a 5 year old!!!! this was confirmed one day when I used to work from home. I answered the phone and a lady asked if she could speak to my mummy ... I said erm I think it's me you want :o

Lol!! I do have a telephone voice, its ridiculous really, Im Welsh and I go into Scouse and Manc all in one conversation, I dont know why I do it, I think I concentrate too hard on how Im speaking! Hubby just laughs at me.

My Mum has got the poshest phone voice ever, it sounds like you are in conversation with the Queen!! Shes Welsh aswell and hasnt got a posh voice!!

hi, I hate answering the phone since having a few calls to ask if I do extras as massage is one of my treatments, and I just never know what to say in return, i feel myself going very red ha ha ( i dont do extras)also afew people has asked to speak to mummy!!!!!! and then you get you dont sound older enough, then when they meet me its oh god you are so young to be in the industry (im nearly 40) i do get embarrased as I hate saying how old I am. I will be glad to get a salon then a receptionist can take the calls, and sound much better for the business. :)

apparently i have a posh sounding phone voice.....then when they see me...it spoils the whole illusion pmsl :lol::lol:

I always over exategarate hello which end up coming out more Hal -low ! I also talk way to loud and forget my prices :o

I used to get really stuck as I work from home so never know if the call was a personal one or a client so the conversation used to go

Me: Hal - low :)lol:)
Client: he..llo? (in a wierded out voice)
Me: hello
Client: Err is this AJ Nails
Me: Yer :)rolleyes:)
Client Or err ... (then they would ask their question)

I discovered a real easy wasy to end this awkwardness ...

Me: Hello
Client: Hello Is this AJ Nails?

Me: Yes ... How can I help?

ROFL I mean how much better is that? :smack:

One question while we are on this topic actually, when they begin the conversation by asking for an appointment time I always respond well what is it your after :confused: anyone have a better non naff way to word this?!

Ami

lol

Last night at college one of the other students told me I had a voice that should be doing phone sex!!! :eek:

I have a phone voice and what my sister's call my smarty-pants voice. That's the voice I use when I talk nails or B.S.! My mom's phone voice is very much a phone sex voice... When have our friends call her cell phone just to hear it. "Hiii thiiiss is Baaarb, leave aaa messsage and I'lll get baaack to you aaasss quick aaasss III caaannn" When you read it you have to shimmy you shoulders real slow! It's really funny.

My kids say I "put on" a different voice for clients - what, one that doesn't shout and squawk about mess and clearing up and shrieking about homework lol? I sound like a proper adult - instead of a madwoman :lol:!

One question while we are on this topic actually, when they begin the conversation by asking for an appointment time I always respond well what is it your after :confused: anyone have a better non naff way to word this?!

Ami

I always answer the phone with the name of the business and good morning, that saves them having to ask lol, if they ask for an appointment time, I simply say something like "yes of course, is that for a new set or for a rebalance?"

I was asked if i do the sex line numbers once,as i have a husky deep voice i am told:eek:

However yes i do have a telephone voice....ask zo zo....LMAO:lol:

Oh boy do I ever have a telephone voice.

I was a receptionist, telephonist and secretary for over 13 years and had to have what employers call a "good speaking voice".

My own accent is purely Essex and both my daughter and husband, being scottish laugh at it all the time and go on about ASBO's (?) and then laugh even harder when I answer the phone with my "posh voice".

Trish :hug:

My Mum is the worst - she answers the phone 'Yo! Carmel here.' OMG. I'm always at her about it. She's not allowed to answer my phone when she's visiting - imagine what clients would think - that they'd rung Rocky Balboa on estrogen.

Latest posts

Back