Do you have to have Matching Gel and UV Light?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Genoc

Reaction score
I'm learning Gel Nails at present, and im just wondering do all the suppliers have a UV light with each nail system? as im purchasing trial kits, but dont know if i should be buying a new light for each system, will the results be different if you dont?

Sorry if its a dumb question, but we all have to start somewhere!
thanks Gemma

Hi Gemma
It's not a daft question at all! I'm sure many don't know the answer.

No you don't need the branded lamp (the sun can cure the gel as some people have found out to their cost!!)

BUT..........the advanced, high quality gels have been developed with a specific curing time that is initiated by a certain wattage of UV light. If you use a different lamp the cure may be too slow or incomplete (problems!) or it may be too fast, in which case you client will go through the roof with the pain!

Also, if you have any problem with the gel the supplier will not offer much support if you have not used the exact method they recommend.

If you are buying a good quality gel than it is worth buying the best lamp for it and one that will give you the confidence you need.

Good luck
Marian

Many thanks Mum,

Well im learning gel nails, had a rio kit and its ok, but i think could be better. so im attempting to get some trial kits, and was just wondering if i needed to get a lamp for each product. I guess if i find a gel i quite like, then i will invest in the lamp.

thanks Gemma

hi

One of the best ways to try out all the new products is to attend one of the trade shows. There are 2 coming up, excell in london and g-mex in manchester.
Go with your nails bare and have trial nails done on yourself. Not all the companys exhibit though but you will get a good idea.

Hiya Genoc,
The only system I know of that requires a special lamp is Brisa by creative Nails. If you get a good quality uv lamp (not Rio Lol) it will work with all the makes of gel (except Brisa)
Hths

Sadly, there is not a single lamp out there that will work with a large variety of gels. That is because every light emits differing levels of UV light (UV emissions are different than Wattage as some 4w bulbs emit more UV light than some 9w bulbs) and every gel requires differing levels of UV light to cure.

Sure, any UV light will cure any gel... but one of the most important aspects of gels is to fully cure them. Some gels suffer dramatically through overcuring, all gels suffer dramatically through undercuring. The vast majority usually undercure gel and that can lead to virtually every type of service breakdown possible. Even though the gel looks and acts cured, you really have no idea if it is if you are not using the manufacturers lamp/gel/instruction combo.

Hope I havent confused the issue at all... there is so much I could write on this topic and much has already been written, try a search for lamp in the Main forum and see if you find any more info to help.

Hope this helps ;)

Welcome back Sam, what I mean't was that while she is just trying out gels to see which system she likes, She could use any uv lamp. When doing client she would have to invest in one to match the make used. Sorry if it didn't make sense. :rolleyes:

Hey Lesley, thats what I thought you meant.
I just wanted to make sure that everyone is aware (as I wasnt really until a couple years ago) that your lamp choice is paramount to getting long term results with the gel line you use. Using differing brands of lamps and gels is very similar to using differing brands of powders and liquids. Yes, some say you can do it, but the scientific reality of it is you really cant do it safely and effectively.

Latest posts

Back