Do you have to pay back Tax Credits money?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pinkmummy

Reaction score
My husband will be pleased to hear this as he had a final demand for over £1000 for overpayments of WTC that dated from 2003 before we lived together, and its the first he has heard about it!:confused:

Thanks for the info, ive been paying back an over payment of 6k at a rate of £20 a month.

I had to give them details of my mortgage, how much i pay, how much outstanding, also how many cars were in the family, registration numbers and value, how much i paid out for tv, phone, broadband etc.

It was so very personal but they said if i didnt pay it back (even though it was there fault they paid me it) they would use the cars as payment then look into equity in my house!!

It scared me that much i complied with them and send a cheque each month now :eek:

I find the tax credits system an absolute nightmare:irked:
I have had a total of 3 overpayments billed to me in the last 5 years!!
I have appealed against them all and 2 of them were quashed but I still have to pay back one lot of £1000. The trouble is I have not got a clue how the overpayment happend as this outstanding amount dates back to about 4 years ago:irked: Why do they do this????
Why do they inform you YEARS AFTER the overpayment?????
My argument is you fill in the forms correctly and send them off and then they calculate the payments and start paying you! If they cock up the payments thats their problem! How the how should we know what they should be paying us, we have done our bit!!! My argument with them just goes on and on........ dont think it will ever be sorted as I will not back down!!:cry:

OMG tax credits.. i agree nightmare.. after i split with my ex etc wont bore ya all... lol i was hit with a bill for just over £2000, which i debated and they told me it was my responsibility if i was over paid.. i was like..how the hell am i supposed to know !!! got mine down to £240 heheh .. but good to know that some people might be getting theirs back.

Sara
IHBC Beauty Therapist.

Hmm Same! when i split with my Ex i too was hit with a MASSIVE tax debt that rather then try and fight.. I just pay off weekly.. something to do with capital gains.. no idea what it was or meant.. but the thing is.. if i lived in a housing estate with god knows how many kids, was on welfare and living off the system.. i would be better off then saving my pennies.. buying a house and doing it up so its worth more then when i intially bought it!!!
No offense to housing estates.. I lived in one for years, but the desire to own my own house was huge.. and instead of being rewarded for getting off my but and working.. making a go of it.. i was charged for it.. :irked:

Pips, Gemmamarie and little roo, print off the article I've put on the 1st post and take it to the Citizens Advice Bureau. See if they can advise you if you can stop the payments or get anything back. I'll bet unless you approach Tax credits people in the correct way they'll be loathed to give you anything back.

I have been fighting the IR for the last 18 months as they say I owe them almost £3,000. Have received a letter this week telling me that if I don't pay up by 3rd october they will start court proeccedings, now that is scary. Might just pay a visit to my CAB to see if they can do anything.

I have been fighting the IR for the last 18 months as they say I owe them almost £3,000. Have received a letter this week telling me that if I don't pay up by 3rd october they will start court proeccedings, now that is scary. Might just pay a visit to my CAB to see if they can do anything.
Take a copy of that info with you. It might help.:hug:

Latest posts

Back