Do you know how to price your treatments? Are you charging enough?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Probably not want you want to hear but I don't believe you've completed your training yet to be worrying about prices.

Training does take hours and hours of PRACTICE for no money before charging anything more that product costs (not for building a client base!)

Mani/pedi takes a lot more than 1 day before charging. It, again takes hours and hours of practice with many different people.

Slow down. If you want to be successful and able to charge a good price, keep practising more and maybe take a course that involves more than 1 day for mani/pedi

Good luck

Souz fab thread and perfect timing for me!

I have been researching for the past couple of months the excat costings of all the treatments I plan to do mobile in the coming months and boy does everything add up!

One needs to factor everything down to the reward card given to clients!
I've actually broken down my costs by each product ,piece of equipment , literature given to clients tax (so I can put aside), hourly wage and a % to re invest in future training courses or an extra service/product range.

The only part I'm struggling with is travel costs as I will be mobile.
For instance if it cost me £4 petrol on a return journey for a service, how should I budget it?as I'm guessing that I would add £4 for each service as I budget.
However some may have 1 spray tan =£4 and some may have tan, mani pedi etc so my costings would cover £12 in petrol ... Does that make any sense?

mummyme, can i ask how you have trained in acrylic without having done your mani/pedi??it just seems a little bit backwards?

as i stated at the beginning you need to take into account how much products are, which products you use for each treatment right down to wipes etc and how long you take to do the treatment. There is no point charging the same as someone else if they can perform the treatment in half the time as you and at the same standard as obviously they can do 2 treatments in the same time you could do 1 and so they are earning twice as much! You say you were charging £10 for gellux and say that takes you an hour and the product cost is lets say £5 and consumbles/insurance/electric etc on top then you arent even earning an hourly rate?

We are lucky at CND as they have already worked out how many treatments we can get out of each pot/bottle that we use so its just a case of adding it all up.

I dont use gellux but the principles are the same for all treatments/products

1. price of each product divided by how many treatments you get from a pot
2. add that to an hourly wage for yourself
3. add a percentage for lighting or petrol and car insurance if you are mobile
4. cost of consumables
5. beauty insurance, cost divided by weeks that you work and hours
6. add extra for your profit

Brill thread & I need all info that goes into this!

I have been researching for the past couple of months the excat costings of all the treatments I plan to do mobile in the coming months and boy does everything add up!

I've actually broken down my costs by each product ,piece of equipment , literature given to clients tax (so I can put aside), hourly wage and a % to re invest in future training courses or an extra service/product range.

For instance if it cost me £4 petrol on a return journey for a service, how should I budget it?as I'm guessing that I would add £4 for each service as I budget.
However some may have 1 spray tan =£4 and some may have tan, mani pedi etc so my costings would cover £12 in petrol ... Does that make any sense?

im not mobile myself but off the top of my head i would say that you have to estimate how many miles you will do for business over the year and times by mileage rate divided by how many treatments you can do in a week roughly and add the same amount to each treatment.

Great stuff, thanks souz for a fast reply :)

Great stuff, thanks souz for a fast reply :)

no problem, whenever i start a thread i check it all the time as i know what its like when you want to get on and you want the answers asa!!xx

The two training providers I decided between didn't require a mani/pedi course before the Acrylics, however as I was told it would be of benefit, I felt it right that I did the course. So I paid for this separately in order to have something else that would help benefit me.

Mum, I appreciate your feedback and I have seen in the past that lot of geeks have no time for us geeks that did one day courses but some of us have no option, I am a full time mum of 5 and have a disabled husband and 2 children with extreme special needs but at the same time I wanted to show my kids that mum goes out to work and I didn't feel college was right for myself or my family at this time, also a couple of years back I did a 2 yr part time hairdressing course which was useless, so I decided to pay privately for these courses. I don't pretend to be a qualified technician although on paper I am qualified and I also know I have a long way to go before I'm anywhere near the standard of some of the ladies on here, but that's why I'm on here to ask for help and get ideas. I am not worried about prices but I am working some days for £2 a hr in fact not even that as I haven't even earned back the cost of my courses or products but after 2 months of Gellux, clients rebooking and good feedback yes I feel that I should put my price up for this. I also didn't just charge silly prices to build clientele it was to gain experience and of course I have done that but yes we all have to build clientel in some way and using my clients as models at model prices I have done that. All I was asking was for some advise as I have clients asking what my prices will eventually be!

I too started from a star nails acrylic and gel course - one day a week for 14 weeks - i had to use my holidays from the job I was in at the time 13 yrs ago.!! you didn't need a Manicure cert like most courses now, I went on to do a VTCT mani & pedi cert eve courses at college - and then got made redundant so supported myself to do Nvq L2 & L3 with my payout ... Being made redundant was the Best thing that ever happened to me,
In my opinion I got a lot more understanding of the industry and a&p doing my nvq's... But I understand how hard it is to want to make the switch and having to do part time courses.

One of the things we provide is a cost of service sheet which I feel is essential if you're going to work out how much you need to charge.
Ask your suppliers for this!

Could you please advise how you work out an hourly rate? I understand working out product costs etc but do you just pick a rate you want to take from it? How is tax worked out around this? I just worry that I won't have enough to pay tax at the end of the year so currently not taking much out for myself (although most of my money is going back into my business to get set up at the moment). Xx

When I first started out, I went round the local salons for pricelists and set my prices a little bit higher. Then I worked out all my costings and decided to go higher still!
This got me the clientele that I wanted.
Without wanting to sound snobby, I don't want clients that expect something for nothing. Clients will pay for a premium service and I have invested too much money in training and products to offer it for less.

Could you please advise how you work out an hourly rate? I understand working out product costs etc but do you just pick a rate you want to take from it? How is tax worked out around this? I just worry that I won't have enough to pay tax at the end of the year so currently not taking much out for myself (although most of my money is going back into my business to get set up at the moment). Xx

yes you can pick an hourly rate for yourself, it doesnt mean you will take it until you are able to and as for tax, try putting a little away each month then you wont have so much to find. Eventually you will know how much to put aside.

Hi
With regards to hourly rate I just decided what I wanted to be paid per hour, so for instance if I was being paid £20 ph.
If I did an eyebrow wax (15min) then I would add my hourly rate of £5 to my ebw costings.
If I did a pedicure (1hr) I would add £20 to my costings for pedis.

With tax I no the first 9 1/2 k profit is not taxed so anything after that will be taxed..

I'm not sure if this is the correct way to do this but I plan to put 20% off each service aside in a savings account for the tax man, and if there's any left after April then I shall go on a course or buy a new range of products etc.

I've also added 20% on my service to cover this so it Dosent eat into my wage or product costs.

Thankyou that's really helpful. I do have an accountant but I feel a bit silly asking him loads of questions - I suppose I shouldn't that's what he is there for! X

Thankyou that's really helpful. I do have an accountant but I feel a bit silly asking him loads of questions - I suppose I shouldn't that's what he is there for! X

if you have an accountant, use him thats what he is there for. He willl have so much more knowledge than i can give you!! and if you learn anything really interesting let us know!!

You could say on your price list that for every 'extra' service you book per appointment, you get $xx off. This way, when a client books multiple appointments, you take the travel costs off. The added benefit is that psychologically, it will appear to the client that they are getting a discount when they book more than one service so they are more likely to that = more business for you!

Also, when you calculate your travel costs, don't forget to include auto insurance/depreciation, etc.

Great thread as I just yesterday sat down to try and actually work out my prices for when I get going properly.
I listed all items I use for my gel polish service and then started to work out how much... I use gelish and I know you get 45-60 applications per bottle but doesn't anyone know what I should divide the cleanse, ph bond, foundation and top it off by?

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Excellent idea gambletroy! I think that's Excatly what I'm going to do xxx

I'm thinking of booking on a CND course this summer, can I get cost per treatment beforehand or do I still need to be qualified? What costings etc do you think I need to do at this very initial stages? And where do you start? I don't know the costs of anything yet! :( Had hoped to do a business plan to be sensible as well.

Latest posts

Back