Do you let staff decide which treatments they prefer or am I being harsh?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beautygeek_11

Reaction score
i just want your opinion on this one guys. i have a junior who i have offered to send on an advanced waxing course to upskill her and give her more confidence in waxing.

she says she doesn't like the idea of Brazilians and would like more experience first ( which surely is the whole point of the course.

what is your thoughts? how would you react?

Advanced waxing usually only covers hot wax intimate waxing so will not help her with experience using warm wax on legs, bikinis, underarms and face.
I can see her point in wanting to be a competent waxer first before learning Brazilian waxing which is on a more sensitive and difficult area!
Maybe give her a few months then learn the advanced waxing?

waxing is a scary treatment for a newbie. So many things can go wrong, you can bruise , lift skin, burn , take too much eyebrow off, but undoubtably the most scary part to wax is the bikini area. You have to be in control of the situation and act confident and give good clear instructions to your clients or it can be very stressful for both parties.

It's not really fair on your therapist to throw her in at the deep end , but it would be even more unfair on your clients :)

waxing is a scary treatment for a newbie. So many things can go wrong, you can bruise , lift skin, burn , take too much eyebrow off, but undoubtably the most scary part to wax is the bikini area. You have to be in control of the situation and act confident and give good clear instructions to your clients or it can be very stressful for both parties.

It's not really fair on your therapist to throw her in at the deep end , but it would be even more unfair on your clients :)

all the above us true but surely the exact reason I am sending her on an professional and advanced course so she can learn the advanced techniques so she can feel competent isnt really the deep end... she is a level 3 therapist so not just a newbie. she has had several months in salon with regular strip waxing also with amble support x

Direct quote from the HABIA Code of Practice for Waxing Services, Page 12 Intimate Waxing
'Staff must not be forced to carry out these treatments if they feel uncomfortable'.
That's it.

she is not being forced but if you come into beauty with a fear for learning something new then its going to be hard to progress or ever be confident

I worked on my own for years. I've waxed everything except intimate. When people asked me if I did intimate waxing I would laugh and say "No! Would you? ". Fast forward a few years - now been waxing well for 14 years and I feel that we ought to offer intimate waxing. I tried to persuade my daughter to train but she refused. A level 3 therapist with a lot of experience but she really did not want to do it. The result was that I did the training. I love doing the treatment and I love that almost without exception, clients return.

There are now 3 of us in the salon and I'm still the only one trained in intimate.

You can probably force your girl to train in intimate, but if that was the case would you actually want to let her loose on clients?

There is a knack to making ladies feel comfortable while they're wearing no knickers and having their public hair ripped out by the roots. If she really disliked the treatment she could do your business more harm than good.

Vic x

o
I worked on my own for years. I've waxed everything except intimate. When people asked me if I did intimate waxing I would laugh and say "No! Would you? ". Fast forward a few years - now been waxing well for 14 years and I feel that we ought to offer intimate waxing. I tried to persuade my daughter to train but she refused. A level 3 therapist with a lot of experience but she really did not want to do it. The result was that I did the training. I love doing the treatment and I love that almost without exception, clients return.

There are now 3 of us in the salon and I'm still the only one trained in intimate.

You can probably force your girl to train in intimate, but if that was the case would you actually want to let her loose on clients?

There is a knack to making ladies feel comfortable while they're wearing no knickers and having their public hair ripped out by the roots. If she really disliked the treatment she could do your business more harm than good.

Vic x
thanks for your reply. im the opposite ive being doing brazalian waxing from I was 18 . I didn't like the idea of it but I got on with it and really it isnt that bad.

I dont think its the actual procedure that is fearing her rather that she feels the fear to learning anything out of her comfort zone. gelish scares her.it we all limited our potential to "I think I wouldn't like that" we wouldn't get to far.

she is a lovely girl and I want to encourage her as much as possible but people have to be willing to take a step of faith in this industry. its a big industry that demands alot of us. I feel this us what people don't realise when they decide to be a beauty therapist.

I have no problem with the idea of performing intimate waxing. It doesn't gross me out or anything.
But I can totally empathise in wanting a lot of experience and competency in body waxing before going onto intimate. The idea of messing up on an embarrassed clients most sensitive area is horrible!

If she's anxious about learning any new skills, take baby steps and send her on a Gelish course and let her develop her confidence gradually. It's not likely to be as terrifying as intimate waxing might seem to her at the moment.

A good manager mentors and encourages their staff to progress at their own pace, offering support and encouragement along the way. Staff in turn, will develop new skills and build their confidence and become a valued member of the team.

Forcing someone to do training in intimate waxing when they're still a relative newbie is akin to bullying and is more likely to lead to resentment and resistence. Do you really want to manage staff through fear?

Does she do a lot of regular bikini waxing at the minute? If not maybe try booking them all in for her to build up her confidence in bikini waxing then in a month or two approach the subject again, but more so in a 'you're doing really great with the waxing how would you like to try the advanced training'. She probably just feels like she's only just getting to grips with regular bikini and doesn't want to bite off more than she can chew.
If she's already doing a lot of bikini waxing then there's really no reason why she should be anxious and you need to talk to her and find out why.

Intimate waxing is not just a one day course and suddenly you're a pro. It takes a lot of practise and getting used to before you can be let loose on a paying client.

To a certain extent, I disagree with EmmaLF...I , along with many geeks on here, were either waxing novices, or non confident waxers...a day course with Kim Lawless changed our lives!! Seriously! The confidence she give you is unreal!
Yes, practice is needed, but the confidence is there..
Why not suggest some 'refresher' training in normal waxing with Kim, then a bit later on, ask your young lady if she would like to do the intimate training..?

That way, you are not criticising her existing skills, but enhancing them, and she may well be more inclined to go for the advanced as she will know Kim and how she trains etc.. ?

If she's anxious about learning any new skills, take baby steps and send her on a Gelish course and let her develop her confidence gradually. It's not likely to be as terrifying as intimate waxing might seem to her at the moment.

A good manager mentors and encourages their staff to progress at their own pace, offering support and encouragement along the way. Staff in turn, will develop new skills and build their confidence and become a valued member of the team.

Forcing someone to do training in intimate waxing when they're still a relative newbie is akin to bullying and is more likely to lead to resentment and resistence. Do you really want to manage staff through fear?

I feel this reply is a little out of context and harse if im honest. bullying really?

you are right to let them progress at their own pace but they need to take steps to get their. beauty like hairdressing requires a natural flair and skills and a willing attitude. its no different to any other industry its called expectations. I guess I expected her to be willing to learn something new and gain a new technique with a new brand I wouldn't call that bullying I'd call that trying to progress the skills of a therapist . for now we have left it and will address it down the line again. thanks

To a certain extent, I disagree with EmmaLF...I , along with many geeks on here, were either waxing novices, or non confident waxers...a day course with Kim Lawless changed our lives!! Seriously! The confidence she give you is unreal!
Yes, practice is needed, but the confidence is there..
Why not suggest some 'refresher' training in normal waxing with Kim, then a bit later on, ask your young lady if she would like to do the intimate training..?

That way, you are not criticising her existing skills, but enhancing them, and she may well be more inclined to go for the advanced as she will know Kim and how she trains etc.. ?

I spent 2 months doing in salon training to improve her waxing techniques so she is more than capable with waxing just needs speed which can take years. I thought doing a full range of bikini waxing would make her see if I can do this I can do any waxing as this is what happened me all those years ago.

Does she do a lot of regular bikini waxing at the minute? If not maybe try booking them all in for her to build up her confidence in bikini waxing then in a month or two approach the subject again, but more so in a 'you're doing really great with the waxing how would you like to try the advanced training'. She probably just feels like she's only just getting to grips with regular bikini and doesn't want to bite off more than she can chew.
If she's already doing a lot of bikini waxing then there's really no reason why she should be anxious and you need to talk to her and find out why.

Intimate waxing is not just a one day course and suddenly you're a pro. It takes a lot of practise and getting used to before you can be let loose on a paying client.

thanks for your reply. i totally agree I've been doing advanced waxing for 10years so I get it.

I can only control my end and help her along. her fear is something she needs to work on if its going to be holding her back.

Latest posts

Back