do you patch test new spray tan clients?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stampy

Reaction score
Hi, just wondering how many spray tanners patch test clients who have never had a tan before? Everyone I've done before has had lots of tans in the past but I have a 'newbie' coming up and am thinking maybe I should do a test. What do you think?

I have never patch tested for allergies - people who very sensitive skins would be very aware of the consequences of such a treatment and ask about it when making the booking - of you'd pick it up on your consultation, albeit too late to go ahead with treatment then!

I have patch tested a lady with chronic vitiligo though to see if it would help disguise the pigmentation probs - it worked very well and we went and did her whole body. didn't sort it completely but it really toned down the areas that why hypopigmentated.

I too have wondered about this, i have never patch tested anyone before when doing a spray tan, but like stampy, would maybe consider it for a newbie.

Hi, just wondering how many spray tanners patch test clients who have never had a tan before? Everyone I've done before has had lots of tans in the past but I have a 'newbie' coming up and am thinking maybe I should do a test. What do you think?
Hi,
I was taught during my training that you should patch test at least 24 hours before, usually on inner arm or inner thigh.
I was told that insurance may be void if no patch test is done and they had an allergic reaction. But if they insist that they don't need one, I have them sign a discaimer on their consultation sheet. Then on further tans ask them if anything such as medication has changed since their last visit. It is a bit of a faff, but when they have been a couple of times you know they are OK. Always patch test on under 16's and get parental consent. You can download a really good consultaion tanning form from Spray Tanning Hope this helps lol x :hug: :hug:

hi ya yeah I have always patch tested new clients if they have never used a spray solution or self tanned. i have never had anyone allergic yet but it is best to do a test first. I am also an aromatherapist so I do patch tests for that on a regular basis as clients can be ok to the potion one month then the next month they could flare up with blothches so my training has always taught me to be careful and thorough with clients skins etc and patch test.
I also write the results on my consultation forms.

Thanks for your responses everyone. I think when a client has never used tanning products before I will go and do a test just for piece of mind but I appreciate all your comments!

Latest posts

Back