Do you pay for a lunch break? Employers and employees, I need your advice please!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thankyou so much Geeks, you've all been incredibly helpful and given me what I wanted; both sides of the story.

I am going to pay her from 8.45 each day until 5pm. She will have a 30 minute unpaid lunch break guaranteed every day but for the most part I will book her out an hour and she will have the other half paid therefore will be expected to use that time to make sure she has cleaned down and set up for her next client whilst still ensuring she has a half hour break. If she works 5 minutes over 5pm then fine, up to 15 minutes and I would be paying her. It is swings and round abouts to an extent, I want to be fair, I want this girl to stick around.

She is also on a target, as well as a basic rate, so if she chooses to take a client it's good for her pocket as well as mine.

On a slight tangent: The therapist will also be taking a percentage of sales. How do you determine what they have retailed against your normal sales? Obviously if she sells to a new client then fab or if she is selling to a client of hers brilliant but what if, for example, I have clients of mine popping in all the time just to pick up what they have run out of that I have technically sold them? How do you differentiate or is it simply who puts it through the till?

I've told my girls if they sold that product even if I took the money they must speak up and tell me, I hated that as a junior, I sold tons of products at the basin and the stylists would take the commission!!!

Can I ask a question off topic, I am leaving my job this month,i still have holidays i have not been able to take, should i be paid for them?

Sent from my SM-G900F using SalonGeek mobile app

Yes

If a client walks in off the street and buys some products, the commission goes to whoever does the transaction but if I spend half an hour doing a complimentary make up consultation and the client leaves but returns three days later and spends £200 then that commission is MINE!!!

It is sort of mutually agreed really x

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

Thanks Guys, that's what I had in mind! :)

Can I ask a question off topic, I am leaving my job this month,i still have holidays i have not been able to take, should i be paid for them?

Yes, definitely!!

I am an employee.

We get 30 minutes before the first client to set up if we are on the early shift. This is paid. We don't get paid for any extra time at closing time though (which makes no sense?)

We always have a one hour lunch but it's not paid, apart from Sundays when we get 30 minutes, again unpaid. In my opinion half an hour is not enough for a lunch. specially if you have to go out and buy your lunch then come back and eat it. I find if a client is late and I'm running late then half an hour can turn into a 15 minute lunch, which leaves me in a rushed, grumpy mood for the rest of the day.

My staff must be work ready at start time , no good strolling in at 9 am when first appointment is 9am , I pay from start time. Has for breaks i give 20 mins every 4 hours , which I pay , but tbh when we are busy staff do not take the break , they just nip out in between clients for a ciggie or Sarnie , I pay until end of set shift, if they go over (every 15 mins) they can have time off in Lou or money. This works well for me and my staff are happy xx

If you have earned them (worked the hours to accrue your holiday entitlement) yes. They should be paid to you. Or ask to book your holidays in your notice period.

Xx

Latest posts

Back