Do you polish the back of the nail?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blossom

Reaction score
When you do a polish, do you reverse the hand and paint whatever there is showing above the finger of the back of the free edge?

I wasn't taught to do it this way but one of my clients has been requesting this the last couple of times and today informed me that there's no going back, she loves it so much now.:irked:

Who does it this way then? I believe I read somewhere that Jessica teach to do this.

Personally I find it a pain in the bum atm and a bit of a fiddle, especially as she's a bit shaky . . . maybe I'm just not used to it yet. :rolleyes:

Just wondered who else does this if anyone and what you think of it. :)

sorry never heard of it. I dont use polish much though besides when I water marbel.

Never done that! Polish the distal part of the free edge yes, but the underside too, surely that looks a bit odd?

Not me either..,.

Yeah, that's the way that Jessica do it. I do tend to do it and it is a pain at first but you get used to it. Some people don't like it though ~ it can make the nail look a bit 'thick' if you know what I mean. Not many of my clients have that long nails that I can paint the underneath though, mainly just do the distal edge as mentioned before. It really does make the polish last soooo much longer! xx

I agree painting the distal edge makes the polish look better for longer, but not the underside. . . . I don't particularly like the look of it, it looks a bit odd to my mind. I think I remember my mum saying she used to do hers like it years ago . . . my client is about her age too, come to think of it lol

When i did Jessica training at a spa this was taught....i questioned the importance of this....apparently it strengthens the nail,and its a "jessica" thing....hence one of the reasons why i loathed to take it on.

I just couldnt figure it out,and its just too much "faff" i feel:rolleyes:

i guess you should paint the underside first really, so that you dont get brush marks on the top side at the end if that makes sense.

I dont paint the entire underside, just cap the free edge. My polish lasts 2 weeks, any longer I'd be losing clients cuz they wouldnt need to re book lol.

i saw a picture once in scratch where this had been done and i thought it looked nice...

i saw a picture once in scratch where this had been done and i thought it looked nice...

was that the fancy french shoe person thing? christian laboobleytaboble or someone? lol. Black and red?

think so...cant remember now...

Yeah, def. do underneath, then the 8 to 10 strokes (only if using Jessica) and then seal it in (or cap it if you prefer). I agree, I personally wouldn't do it on my own nails cos it does make them look a little strange. I tell my clients that they should have their polish changed at least every 2 weeks because by then the base coat has been absorbed by the nail so the pigments from the colour polish are starting to be absorbed too. This is apparently what causes discolouration to the nails and they can start to turn yellow. I only do manicures on natural nails though so I don't know how it works on artificial nails xx

I guess it depends on the length of the nails, too . . . I can imagine it would look good if there was enough room to comfortably get your brush in under there and make it look neat . . . unfortunately my lady's nails are longish but not long enough to make the job easy, I feel like I'm struggling to get a neat line cos all I'm doing it kinda tickling it with the brush to get a bit of colour under there, there's no room to get a nice neat line. I do paint the undersides first, though, it makes it easier.

think so...cant remember now...
That was a colour contrast though, not like doing say a nice chocolate brown polish on the nail and then painting the same on the underside of the free edge......look at it from the back side....that's gonna look euugghh and totally un-natural imo, especially as it would be so difficult to do that without getting the polish all over the pads of the fingers!!

It's a pig getting the polish off from the underside, any tips?

I guess it depends on the length of the nails, too . . . I can imagine it would look good if there was enough room to comfortably get your brush in under there and make it look neat . . . unfortunately my lady's nails are longish but not long enough to make the job easy, I feel like I'm struggling to get a neat line cos all I'm doing it kinda tickling it with the brush to get a bit of colour under there, there's no room to get a nice neat line. I do paint the undersides first, though, it makes it easier.
I hope you charge accordingly!

Cripes I hadn't thought of that . . . she tells me now it's not a proper job without the backs doing so how can I charge extra lol? How much extra would you add on if it was you? (It takes longer to get off than to put on)

Cripes I hadn't thought of that . . . she tells me now it's not a proper job without the backs doing so how can I charge extra lol? How much extra would you add on if it was you? (It takes longer to get off than to put on)

end of the day hun, time is money! So if it took say an extra ten minutes i would be charging about an extra £5. That equates to £30 hourly, which is about right dependant on area.

Love this look with contrasting colours.. i normally do it with L&P thou, I sculpt on a bright as hell base/platform (berry pink or something - which ever the client wants) then sculpt the smile over the top in white (or again what ever client wants) , finish file and yum they look good.

Latest posts

Back