Do you soak or wrap to remove?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm a wrapper, as trained by Bio Sculpture in 2003.

There is already a gel remover jelly it's called RAINNAIL remover. I've never used it, only seen it advertised whilst researching nail care.

Edited to add link http://rainnail.com/

Industry time: 23 yrs (nails) 27 yrs total
Removal: foils

Unless they are the massive thick nails from the "nail shop" in town, then we use these little pops that go on the end of the fingers to soak it off, when the majority is off we take of the remainder with foil. I really hate removing them though the product absolutely stinks when you take it off :sad:

I still soak off L&P because I rarely have to do it and it is quicker to do so. But I'd never do it every two weeks!! Acetone is not the devil in liquid form you know. Acetone is a perfectly safe chemical and it has worked perfectly well in the salon for 35 years in moderation and still will.

I've just started with l&p again and was reading that geeks wrapped, I personally prefer soaking l&p so its good to know that this is still acceptable.

On clients I currently only use Shellac which is removed by wrap or foil. I was taught to do this & prefer this method as it is better for the client and with less wastage etc.

I qualified with CND in August 2012.

A friend that advised me to call S2 about CND training was my first client and she was shocked that I wrapped to remove her Shellac. When I explained why, she was quite angry as she had paid £25 every 2 weeks and not received the proper Shellac service she should have had.

Hi Geeg,
I wrap all Shellac, Brisa Lite and any other kind of gel polish . I also wrap any L&P applied by myself. If I have to remove L&P applied by NSS, I usually soak.
Sometimes L&P that I have applied myself can be stubborn. In which case if not totally removed when removing foil, I then soak that also.
Nail Tech since 2010 * Still learning everyday, so no Master yet :)

Wraps only and always. Never even try soaking- too messy for me.
14 years in industry

Interesting! Do others hear the same tale from new clients?

I've had to same thing happen,where people have had shellac or a gel polish applied else where,come to me for a removal and have never expericed the wrapping method which I do (again this is because I was taught this way). Some have said they had been placed in a bowl of acetone,I've had others who have said the electric drills have been used to buff it off!!! After picking myself up of my chair I do try and educate my clients about how the systems works and the removal process!! On of my clients who had come a few times to me,phoned for an appointment but I was unable to fit her in when she wanted so the next time I saw her she explained she'd gone elsewhere but had,had Opi gelcolor on which along with Shellac is the other product I use,I even recognised the colour so I wrapped as normal but it took the best part of 50 minutes to remove,leaving some sort of residue,my client was shocked as she new how quick and simple it was normally to get it off!! She has now become a regular client and will wait if she can't get the appointment she wants!!
Been in industry 15 years on & off! Xxx

Can I just ask if the conditioning shellac remover affects extensions at all will it melt the tips or acrylic?

Can I just ask if the conditioning shellac remover affects extensions at all will it melt the tips or acrylic?

Yes the nourishing remover can also be used to soak of enhancements.
The only way to remove Shellac or a Gel polish from enhancements is by buffing it off, soaking by any means and by any product will also cause the enhancement to dissolve.

Yes the nourishing remover can also be used to soak of enhancements.
The only way to remove Shellac or a Gel polish from enhancements is by buffing it off, soaking by any means and by any product will also cause the enhancement to dissolve.
Thank you I thought that was the case :)
T

I wrap as this was how I was taught when trained with OPI Gelcolor and Shellac. Been doing nails since July 2012. 💅💅😄

I use to soak, but now i wrap. I'm cheap, i don't like to waste :o

Oh & i've been in it for 21yrs:D

Wrap all! Easier and saves on product. 23 years.

I'm a wrapper. That's what I was taught at Lena white for my opi Gelcolor training so that's what I do, but I already knew that because a few years ago I had bio sculpture and she used to wrap me up too. Am I right in thinking though that you soak in a bowl for acrylics?

I'm a wrapper. That's what I was taught at Lena white for my opi Gelcolor training so that's what I do, but I already knew that because a few years ago I had bio sculpture and she used to wrap me up too. Am I right in thinking though that you soak in a bowl for acrylics?

Many people choose to wrap to remove enhancement services too. It is easier to carry on working at the same time as removing and replacing the odd nail.

Nothing wrong with soaking off a set of nail enhancements though .... We only do it occasionally and not every 2-3 werks, so exposure is limited and perfectly safe.

i wrap because its more effective and more cost effective and kinda to clients.ive been in the industry 15 years in and out of salons but always working from home

Interestingly for me NEW clients look at me and ask what im doing when i apply solar oil after treatment not when im wrapping??

Was also in a salon recently where they insisted that you need buff the nails prior to shellac removal and they don't use scrubfresh as apparently acetone does the same job!!!! They were also telling clients that shellac is no good for holidays as doesnt last??? WE NEED INDUSTRY STANDARDS!!!!

I use a mixture as some have said, using the wrapping system mostly. Only real time I use soaking method is when removing NSS, which I have to do later this afternoon, oh great joy! Lol

Been in the industry since 97on and off due to serious illness. Trained in all systems. Have salon experience. Back again, trained with the lovely Ruth Fordham for Shellac, Minx and now Master Painter.:)

I started training last September and qualified fully in Nail Services in February of this year. In college they taught us to soak, but upon doing some light reading online and in forums, and just asking a specific nail tech (who I now work for) I discovered wrapping was the much better option. Often my clients have bitten skin around their fingers which is sore and acetone can be a tad stingy :( so to minimise their discomfort, save on product and reduce mess, I wrap!

I only wrap, I hear so many horror stories about soaking and also get loads of new clients in and their skin and nails are a terrible state from soaking. I agree wih Souz, we need this industry regulated some way. Fed up with sorting people's carelessness.

I wrap as that's what I was trained to do, my tutor said its because soaking the whole finger in acetone causes unnecessary drying out of the skin and is too harsh on the nail... My clients prefer wrapping too as they can have some hand/foot cream on at the same time and it feels a bit more like pampering :) x

Latest posts

Back