Do you soak the feet before you file the nails

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Missy G

Reaction score
Hi,
Just wanted to know from you guys if when your doing a pedicure you soak the feet right from the start or do you do the filing first and soak afterwards,have my first mobile client next week for a peddy,practiced on me hubby the other night,soaked first,but obviously found the nails too soft,or could i have soaked for too long?

I always get my client to soak their feet first, this then sanitizes their feet, cleans them and makes them smell nice, so you never worry about sweaty stinky feet.

This also helps when some people have hard nails, they are easier to trim.

I remove old polish, soak, exfoliate and rasp if necessary, clip nails, file nails, cuticle work, massage, sqeak, paint :)

I remove any old polish, sanitise, then decide how long to soak the feet depending on the age of my client. I find that with more mature clients its sometimes better to soak their feet a little longer as the nails are sometimes harder to cut. I then trim, file, do cuticle work, rasp or exfoliate, wash, dry, then apply polish if required.

i always soak before i file and havnt really found any too soft up to now? i dont soak for very long tho x x

I soak for at least 5 minutes before attempting to reduce the length, I prefer to file/cut them after I've done the cuticle work as it's easier.

I soak feet first, then remove polish, do cuticle work, cut, de-spike, file, exfoliate, smooth calluses, moisturise with a relaxing massage, remove oils with scrubfresh, buff, base, colour, top, dry & shine, and she's good to go!
Good Luck with your client, you'll be fine, its one of my most favourite treatments because you can really relax when you're doing it. Just make sure you put the most emphasis on the big toes. xxx

I always soak first - we were told at college it makes client feel more comfortable knowing you are handling their nice clean feet.

ruby-nails - Hope you don't mind me asking but what does de-spike mean and what do you mean about putting emphasis on the big toe? Sounds interesting.

Siana

what do you mean about putting emphasis on the big toe? Sounds interesting.
Big toenails seem to hoard non-living tissue... the amount of cuticle you can remove from the nailplate of big toenails is astonishing :eek: (especially in the corners) hence why it's best to pay extra attention to them.

hth's

I always soak first and I find it helps if the nails are a little softer ! I don't file/trim until before the massage.

How were you taught to do a pedicure ? If you could fill your profile in that would be great then we could help you a bit more :green:

SOAK FIRST!! I have had some stinkers in my time.. so i enjoy it as much as them! a little tip i picked up on here.. (Not my idea but a fab one and well worth sharing)
put a drop of your fav essential oil or perfume on the collar of your shirt.. that way if you get a bad foot.. and eventually we all get one, you can just brush your nose along it every now and then.. pretend your nose is itchy if you must! I would like to personaly thank the geek who intitialy shared that with us, as i had a to remove a jelly like build up of gunk from the corner of a big toe just last week.. i buried my nose so far into my collar and just thought ROSES!!!

I soak for 5 mins, remove one foot, file/cut, remove any hard skin, apply cuticle remover then place that foot back in to soak and do the same on the other foot.
Then once that has been performed on the other foot, place that one back in. take the other out and push back/trim cuticles and the same on other foot.

If you had a client just for a file and polish say would you spray toes with sanitiser the file or would you soak then file and polish as i would have to change some prices if i was soaking aswell?? thanks

If you had a client just for a file and polish say would you spray toes with sanitiser the file or would you soak then file and polish as i would have to change some prices if i was soaking aswell?? thanks

for a mini ped I just spray the feet.. and use a hand sanitiser aswell.

I would never touch a foot without soaking for at least 10 mins, they go in my footbath soak quicksmart, I make my own footsoak, it took me 17 years to get my head around doing feet

SOAK FIRST!! I have had some stinkers in my time.. so i enjoy it as much as them! a little tip i picked up on here.. (Not my idea but a fab one and well worth sharing)
put a drop of your fav essential oil or perfume on the collar of your shirt.. that way if you get a bad foot.. and eventually we all get one, you can just brush your nose along it every now and then.. pretend your nose is itchy if you must! I would like to personaly thank the geek who intitialy shared that with us, as i had a to remove a jelly like build up of gunk from the corner of a big toe just last week.. i buried my nose so far into my collar and just thought ROSES!!!
YUK!!!!

I soak too. Give the client time to just relax too.

If I am doing gel toes or mini pedicure then no, I glove up, cool blue have a look for any contra-indications, gloves off wipe over again, and then to file. I do the same for a lux pedi, then take my gloves of and into soak for about 5 mins, no point starting any thing if there is a cotra-indication. HTH xx:hug:

I would never touch a foot without soaking for at least 10 mins, they go in my footbath soak quicksmart, I make my own footsoak, it took me 17 years to get my head around doing feet

In a perfect world i would always soak.. but i do alot of toes only.. Its basically my bread and butter.. If i included a soak I would have to up my price and the time it takes to do my buff and polish, which is pretty much the selling point of the service..
I love feet.. infact its my fav service.. taking the little blighters and makin them pretty.. I wish everyone would let me do a full service.. I'd be in my glory!:green::green:

Latest posts

Back