Do you tell clients to change their make up to go with their new hair colour ?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

minky

Reaction score
Do any Hairdressers out there think we should tell our clients to make changes to their make up ect , if you have just revamped their hair colour for them ? :hug:

Also for those who have changed their hair colour,
did you feel the need to change your make up to go with your new hair colour at all ?

Minky, it all depends on how drastic you go with the hair color. If you are a dark auburn and decide to go with a light baby blonde..well yeah I am thinking we need to change our makeup to a warmer tone eh?
cool blondes will leach the warmth right out of your skin tone.

Don't they teach that to you in your schools over there?

I try and steer them away from hair colors that wash them out and will take swatches and place it near their face or on the inside of their arm so they can actually see what it is going to do with their face.
If they are insistant on the haircolor
I never tell the client but would make a nice suggestion before I color their hair that they may need to look into a different tone of makeup.
As it is not my specialty to tell them what skin tones they have even though I learned it. I leave that up to the skin geeks. :)

A few years ago I used to love my hair really dark, (base 3) with red or cerise pink slices through. Whenever I had my hair redone I would have to use more bronzer as I looked a bit too pale. My normal base is about 5. I also used to do slightly more dramatic eye makeup, it just went better with the colour.

Minky, it all depends on how drastic you go with the hair color. If you are a dark auburn and decide to go with a light baby blonde..well yeah I am thinking we need to change our makeup to a warmer tone eh?
cool blondes will leach the warmth right out of your skin tone.

Don't they teach that to you in your schools over there?

I try and steer them away from hair colors that wash them out and will take swatches and place it near their face or on the inside of their arm so they can actually see what it is going to do with their face.
If they are insistant on the haircolor
I never tell the client but would make a nice suggestion before I color their hair that they may need to look into a different tone of makeup.
As it is not my specialty to tell them what skin tones they have even though I learned it. I leave that up to the skin geeks. :)

Hiya there JDs
I usually consult and tell clients what will suit them after their hair colour change as I have my IHBC make up also media and make up for the camera ect ,
So yes I am able to advise on these things ,sorry I should have worded it a bit better in my post,

I have not heard of color coding being offered to hairdressers on the level 2 courses over here, or on the level three,
mainly we just look and try out with swatches ect,

I had to do all the make up courses separately ,

but maybe some different colleges offer different things, some colleges may include colour coding advise ? ( my college didn't offer this service )

I was asking purely out of interest, also to see if any hair colour customers were offered any make up advice at all ?

Also if anyone had changed their hair colour did they feel the need to change their own make up themselves to suit the hair colour ?

I find colour coding quite important and should be offered in colleges as part of the hairdressing,

I also wondered if there were any salons that have a combination of a make up artist on hand who consult and advise a hair colour client on some new shades of make to suit the new hair colour ect as part of service ect ? :hug:

Hiya there JDs
I usually consult and tell clients what will suit them after their hair colour change as I have my IHBC make up also media and make up for the camera ect ,
So yes I am able to advise on these things ,sorry I should have worded it a bit better in my post,

I have not heard of color coding being offered to hairdressers on the level 2 courses over here, or on the level three,
mainly we just look and try out with swatches ect,

I had to do all the make up courses separately ,

but maybe some different colleges offer different things, some colleges may include colour coding advise ? ( my college didn't offer this service )

I was asking purely out of interest, also to see if any hair colour customers were offered any make up advice at all ?

Also if anyone had changed their hair colour did they feel the need to change their own make up themselves to suit the hair colour ?

I find colour coding quite important and should be offered in colleges as part of the hairdressing,

I also wondered if there were any salons that have a combination of a make up artist on hand who consult and advise a hair colour client on some new shades of make to suit the new hair colour ect as part of service ect ? :hug:

I also advise (suggest????) to my clients make-up tips, especially if they are going for a drastic change. I also have my media/make-up/theatrical art diploma and have done catwalk and photoshoots, wedding make-up etc. I worked for some time as a make-up artist within a salon. Also when working for a large company we always did a full skin tone anaylisis for the clients including make-up and clothes suggestion. This was a great way to make sure the client was happy with the shades chosen and made them feel pampered.
Most of my clients welcome the suggestions and often take my advice, anything to have my clients floating on air when they leave! :)

I also advise (suggest????) to my clients make-up tips, especially if they are going for a drastic change. I also have my media/make-up/theatrical art diploma and have done catwalk and photoshoots, wedding make-up etc. I worked for some time as a make-up artist within a salon. Also when working for a large company we always did a full skin tone anaylisis for the clients including make-up and clothes suggestion. This was a great way to make sure the client was happy with the shades chosen and made them feel pampered.
Most of my clients welcome the suggestions and often take my advice, anything to have my clients floating on air when they leave! :)

Hi there ,
Wow I think Id be floating on air too with all that pampering :)

There is a hairdresser I know of and she says if she has the time she gives them a free short and simple make over, just to show them how good it can look with a few simple changes that compliment the new colour,
she also says the same as you , that her clients feel like they have really been pampered and go out feeling really pampered,
plus they always return for more :hug:,

A few years ago I used to love my hair really dark, (base 3) with red or cerise pink slices through. Whenever I had my hair redone I would have to use more bronzer as I looked a bit too pale. My normal base is about 5. I also used to do slightly more dramatic eye makeup, it just went better with the colour.

Hiya , that sounds like a great color combination , I do think that with a bit of tweaking of the make up ect we can get carry off a great new hair colour a whole lot better ,
also I think when you've just had your hair revamped to a different colour we like to treat ourselves to a new lippy or eyeshadow to go with it as it gives us confidence also it makes a person feel special to treat themselves , it would be even better to have a professional makeover treat too :hug:

I must say, I've changed my makeup more often than I've changed my haircolor....winter I'm very, very pale- until about mid february and then I've got a lovely racoon look going where my goggles cover my eyes and at my jaw line where my neck gator begins, that requires a little cosmetic camoflauge- then summer I freckle- horribly, yes I use sunscreen diligently, but never the less I'm plagued with enough freckles to look like I have moustache!!

Then, I'm a sucker for great eye shadows, I probably should invest in MAC makeup stock, I'd make a killing off of my self.

So for changing MY makeup when I change my haircolor? Why wait that long? If I find a great makeup, I may change my color to go with it!!

Latest posts

Back