Do You Think You're Worth It?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kim Lawless

Grande Dame of the Brazilian Wax for Men and Women
Reaction score
Why is it that beauty and nails techs aren't treated with the same respect as hair stylists? You go into every salon and they'll have junior, senior and master hair stylist status. Why aren't nail techs and beauticians treated accordingly?

Is it something the we should change ourselveselves?

What stops you stating that you are a master, competition winner etc, and for that reason, you charge X amount?

I know that most of the answers will be "Because people won't pay what I'm charging now, so they ain't gonna pay even more".

I'm really interested to hear your views and and ways to change things.

Kimmi I hope you don't mind me undeleting this as I do think it is a great point for debate and I don't think many peeps were around yesterday ... well I wasn't!

When I started in nails I worked in a franchised nail bar. They did have a pricing tiered system which went something like this ...

Model sets - £10 for when you have just trained (- no nail biters, and no under 16's)
Rookie tech - for when you could do a set in 2 hours £25, you were still supervised at this point and every set checked before the client left the salon so you could learn where to improve
Technician - when you could do a set unsupervised and under 90 minutes £40 (I think!)
Senior tech - when you were more experienced and could do 2 systems £44
Master tech - when you wre proficient in all 3 systems

It worked really well and gave clients the choice just as in a hair salon as you say. I think the trouble is that some people don't actually value their own worth or believe that they are as good as they eally are ... and sometimes that can work in reverse too! I've seen some dreadful work charged at top rates.

I think having a tiered pricing system would be great!

It helps the tech strive to each next level so that they can become better and better and it also lets the client know the price may reflect the quality of the nails they may get.

People accept this within the world of hairdressing so why not in the world of hair and beauty?!

I do think that an experienced tech/therapist should charge more....why should someone who has been in the industry for 10 years and has been on numerous training courses charge the same for a treatment as someone who stepped out of college last week?

Great thread Kimmi!
And thanks for re-opening it Sassy!

xx

do you know im glad you undeleted this sass, i wasnt around yesterday as i felt awful (still do actually but someone needs to be up looking after kids today lol, so might as well geek) and i think this is great question

i was at hairdressers in friday, and they have the price tiering system, trainee, junior, senior and owner etc, and prices go up according to ability and experience etc, and i was sat there thinking about this, as im just about to launch my business in sept and keep wondering if my prices are right etc, we should be able to charge accordingly, obvioulsy mine are lower end of scale for now as im recently qualified but as i get more experienced and take more courses etc ,i should be able to increase my prices shouldnt i? my hairdresser passed another qualification a few weeks ago and has put her price up slightly, i didnt mind paying this , as i know shes good at what she does, and if shes taking courses all the time, then shes keeping herself updated and educated, which is very important i think.

i think it should deffo be like this for nail techs, i mean if youve invested all that hard work , effort and money (lets face it it aint cheap) to get yourself master status or whatever the equivalent is in your brand then why should you not charge more, as you are more experienced, qualified , giving better service etc onto the client

great thread kimmi xxxxxx

Kimmi I hope you don't mind me undeleting this as I do think it is a great point for debate and I don't think many peeps were around yesterday ... well I wasn't!

When I started in nails I worked in a franchised nail bar. They did have a pricing tiered system which went something like this ...

Model sets - £10 for when you have just trained (- no nail biters, and no under 16's)
Rookie tech - for when you could do a set in 2 hours £25, you were still supervised at this point and every set checked before the client left the salon so you could learn where to improve
Technician - when you could do a set unsupervised and under 90 minutes £40 (I think!)
Senior tech - when you were more experienced and could do 2 systems £44
Master tech - when you wre proficient in all 3 systems

It worked really well and gave clients the choice just as in a hair salon as you say. I think the trouble is that some people don't actually value their own worth or believe that they are as good as they eally are ... and sometimes that can work in reverse too! I've seen some dreadful work charged at top rates.

I think a tiered systems like that is great.

I also agree with what Sassy said about people valuing their own worth, & I know I am guilty of it.

I know I am the only tech in the area that bothers to continue my education, I know I am the only tech in the area that respects the health of the natural nail, I know I have more knowledge than any other tech in my area.

Do I publicise (sp) what I know?

Do I charge a higher rate because of what I know?

NO!!

I think a tiering system which indicates your level of skill and expertise is a great idea. Why should anybody going into a salon pay say £40 for a set from a newly qualified nail technician but still only pay £40 for someone with master status. You could be getting a "luck of the draw" set and booked with whoever was free, this surely isn't right.

We wouldn't go to our hairdressers and let the junior cut our hair and expect to pay the same price as a stylist with XXX years of experience now would we?

When I have been in the business a little longer and am busy enough to take staff on this is the way I would like to go with my pricing strucutre.

Great threat Kimmi, I am glad it was reinstated.

Pleased to see my thread active again..........thanks Sass.

Ok, I know we've only had a few replies as yet but why don't ALL of the nail geeks make a decision. Wy not introduce this into your salon, say by Christmas.

Another benefit I can see is that new nail techs will not only charge less, but they can state that they take longer. That way, they're not made to feel like a failure.

We need everyone to commit to the cause. What do you think? xxx

Pleased to see my thread active again..........thanks Sass.

Ok, I know we've only had a few replies as yet but why don't ALL of the nail geeks make a decision. Wy not introduce this into your salon, say by Christmas.

Another benefit I can see is that new nail techs will not only charge less, but they can state that they take longer. That way, they're not made to feel like a failure.

We need everyone to commit to the cause. What do you think? xxx

Absolutely right!
Nail techs and Beauty Therapists need to start believing in themselves and charging accordingly....many spend far too long under-cutting others around them rather than building up a reputation for why they are worth what they charge.

Glad the thread was reinstated, it will make interesting reading!

I work from home and charge about the same as the salons, due for a review soon and I will certainly be raising prices, especially the rebalance, which I have increased a bit already (but that's another topic!)

I am flattered that some of my clients say "you're the most expensive nail tech who doesn't work in a salon". But they still come regularly. I think that speaks for itself.

I've been in the business over 4 years and my standards are so much higher now than when I started. And I use a top end product now. Because I only do nails, no beauty or anything, every single time I work, I gain more experience. So now I feel that the nails I produce are worth a bit more. I hear a lot of stories about some of our local salons (not all), nails wobbly when they leave the salon, breaking off in the car on the way home, cuticles bleeding, doorstops, etc. These salons are charging what I'm charging. The difference is, I guess, is that people only go there once.

I like the idea of a pricing structure (but as there's only me obv a bit tricky lol). But for salons I think it's an excellent idea.

I have had people come to me after having nails put on at a local salon who does this tiered system, it seems they don't always offer people the choice of who to have to do their nails, they just stick them with whoevers free and charge accordingly . . . with the result that sometimes they get the newbie (and OK get charged less), but at the time they were sat with said newbie they were not made aware that they would be getting a less-experienced tech who would maybe deliver a lesser set of nails. (Not having a go at newbies here, jeez no, we all go through that, but clients should be made aware).

Guilty as charged Kimmi!!!!

When I had my business, I really just charged the going rate for my area.
This was fine when I started up....but I went on and did my Masters, and various other courses, and eventually became an Educator.

Did my prices reflect this?
I am ashamed to say NO!!

Maybe that is why I tend to advise my students to charge what they are worth, and increase their prices on an annual basis and after any extensive training. I know it is a bit of do as I say not as I did....but hey we all live and learn, and better to learn sometimes from other peoples mistakes, rather than it always being your own.

I am now sitting working out a business plan and considering getting back into the salon scene, over and above my training commitments.

It has been said on here many times before, that we need to have a business head as well as an artistic one.

There is no point in having a tiered system though, if all your salon does is churn out white tips & clear overlay.

You need to have a USP (unique selling point) Is yours the only salon offering glitter tips, nail art, Custom blending?
Is the Master Tech the only one that can do bespoke custom blended nails...well that is why clients will pay more for her.
Are you the only salon in your area using a named well known brand? Also using the highest standards of hygiene?
Put yourself above the rest of the competition...and charge what you are worth.
What will the NSS competition do?.....go under, or raise their game, no matter what, the industry as a whole gains.

This time, if I go for it, I will definitely be charging what I am worth, and a tiered system is by far the best way to go.

Great thread.

You are so right Izzidoll.

It's all about bluff..........that's why I used to joke that I would call myself 'Buff It & Bluff It'. I don't mean bluff about your skills as you'll soon be caught out. But hey, do you really believe all of those 'Hairstylist to the stars' quotes? Big yourself up.

I sit at night and look at the sites in the US for permanent make up (coz that's what I do). I have sat here, howling with laughter at some of the before and after photo's.............tears rolling down my face beacuse they're so awful. Do those techs think they're awful? Do they heck. They think they're wonderful. They have self belief. That's something that a lot geeks are seriously lacking.

the nail bar where i done my work experience had a tiered pricelist, at the time i had never seen this but it did make a lot of sense

you pay more money for the techs skills and expertise

i for one will be increasing my prices slightly as i get more experienced

Do those techs think they're awful? Do they heck. They think they're wonderful. They have self belief. That's something that a lot geeks are seriously lacking.

You are so right when you say that, and I am one of them.

I think a tiered system is a great idea, but I also think in some cases, people don't care if you are the worlds best qualified nail tech, they shop on price.

I know we should perhaps ask ourselves "do we really want them as clients" if they are not prepared to pay for your skill / expertise etc. but in some cases, you will just end up shutting your doors as the market is so price competitive.

Marlise

Self belief and self motivation are key qualities that you need to survive and prosper as a self employed nail technician/ beauty therapist.

Most of us seem to agree that a tiered pricing system should be the way to go in a salon, but what about all you one man bands out there, mobile, renting space or in a Home Salon?

Going by the profiles on here there are plenty of you who have invested a lot in your ongoing education, and going by the gallery pics you do fabulous work.

Yet I suspect that some of you are only charging the same rate as a salon trainee tech!!
Why do we always think that price is the only way to compare and compete with other businesses?

Have a look around and see what you can offer, that High St, salons can't.

I will take nail skills and hygiene as a given!!....but with home salons, you get privacy, ambiance, an exclusive 1.2.1 treatment in comfortable surroundings. (if not, why not!)
Mobile, again an exclusive treatment in the privacy of your own home.
Booth renters, those of us who have rented rooms in other premises, it is up to us to make the room comfortable and inviting, lights that dim when doing luxury relaxing treatments, relaxing music, little touches that don't cost you a fortune but will make your client feel that you ARE worth what she is paying.

Another benefit I can see is that new nail techs will not only charge less, but they can state that they take longer. That way, they're not made to feel like a failure./quote]

Absolutely agree with this. As my techniques improve and my speeds increase I WILL increase my prices accordingly and as I said before when I am in the position to having a sliding scale of prices I WILL DO THAT TOO.
Sorry, I'm shouting again!

I think a tiered system is a great idea, but I also think in some cases, people don't care if you are the worlds best qualified nail tech, they shop on price.

I know we should perhaps ask ourselves "do we really want them as clients" if they are not prepared to pay for your skill / expertise etc. but in some cases, you will just end up shutting your doors as the market is so price competitive.
Marlise

There will always be people who "shop for prices" and there will be techs that will comfort them. Some of them are good, some of them are not. The problem with all charging the same is that people who wants to pay more for a good job can't know what's the difference between you! I do also have people who "shop for prices". Some are screaming in the phone: "What the **** are you doing, don't you do nails like the others? Why do you charge three times more than the others???" And then they hang up. They will never come to me, neither do I want them. On the other side I have people like this: "Oh, please, I really want to go to you. You charge the most, you HAVE to be the best.... Please write me on the waiting list..." (Please, I don't say this to brag, just to tell how it can be....)

To be honest, I have been discussing prices with some of my clients (after I raised my prices, it came out to be natural to discuss it). Do you know what most of them have told me? "You really deserve to get payed better!" "I don't care what it cost, as long as you still do my nails." "You should have raised your prices earlier!"

I think you have to dare (sp?) to choose your clients and to disclose (right word???) some with your price-strategy. Since this is an open forum, I don't want to go further into it, but I think you can understand what I mean. It can sound really cynical, but hey, it's my business! (One client told me: "Remember this Cec, you are going to have the best life, don't forget that!!!")

C.

There will always be people who "shop for prices" and there will be techs that will comfort them. Some of them are good, some of them are not. The problem with all charging the same is that people who wants to pay more for a good job can't know what's the difference between you! I do also have people who "shop for prices". Some are screaming in the phone: "What the **** are you doing, don't you do nails like the others? Why do you charge three times more than the others???" And then they hang up. They will never come to me, neither do I want them. On the other side I have people like this: "Oh, please, I really want to go to you. You charge the most, you HAVE to be the best.... Please write me on the waiting list..." (Please, I don't say this to brag, just to tell how it can be....)

To be honest, I have been discussing prices with some of my clients (after I raised my prices, it came out to be natural to discuss it). Do you know what most of them have told me? "You really deserve to get payed better!" "I don't care what it cost, as long as you still do my nails." "You should have raised your prices earlier!"

I think you have to dare (sp?) to choose your clients and to disclose (right word???) some with your price-strategy. Since this is an open forum, I don't want to go further into it, but I think you can understand what I mean. It can sound really cynical, but hey, it's my business! (One client told me: "Remember this Cec, you are going to have the best life, don't forget that!!!")

C.

I totally agree with your Cec.

Sometimes its just not always possible. Some areas have SO MANY NSS salons that the good techs find it hard to be able to charge more and need to drop their prices just to make a living.

A lot of clients have started to realise that what the NSS do to their nails isn't good, but for every one client who walks away from a NSS salon, there are 10 others that go.

I have decided that once I'm good enough, I will up my prices for my enhancements services (that will take about another 3 years :lol:), but for now I charge "student" rates.

Marlise

You are so right when you say that, and I am one of them.

Marlise

I think that you are absolutely right. Ofcourse you deserve to be payed more if you have more experience + invested a lot in your training... but everything comes down to if your customers are willing to pay that much. We see our job as a skill that is obtained by many years of practis, but someone who doesn,t know about all of this effort just sees a high pricetag allong with it and goes......what?! that much for having just my nails done? Ofcourse there are always people out there that are willing to pay a lot for having fabulous & flawless nails but this is sadley a minority. Moste people make their innitial decision on the price when picking out their nailtech. I think we can only flaunt our skills, obtained diploma's, etc... to make them understand that we are really highly qualified and hope that they pick up on that and spread some good words towards friends family etc... and tell them that we are worth every penny :green:.

I think that you are absolutely right. Ofcourse you deserve to be payed more if you have more experience + invested a lot in your training... but everything comes down to if your customers are willing to pay that much. We see our job as a skill that is obtained by many years of practis, but someone who doesn,t know about all of this effort just sees a high pricetag allong with it and goes......what?! that much for having just my nails done? Ofcourse there are always people out there that are willing to pay a lot for having fabulous & flawless nails but this is sadley a minority. Moste people make their innitial decision on the price when picking out their nailtech. I think we can only flaunt our skills, obtained diploma's, etc... to make them understand that we are really highly qualified and hope that they pick up on that and spread some good words towards friends family etc... and tell them that we are worth every penny :green:.

You are so right.

Once you managed to get them in the door, THEN you can show them how wonderful you are and that you are worth the money.

As you rightly pointed out, once you've done this, they will then hopefully tell their friends and say "She is worth the money / she doesn't hurt me like the other place / her work is really good and lasts etc etc." and this will (hopefully) bring more clients your way.

It's a difficult one this and not the same for everyone......

Marlise

Self belief and self motivation are key qualities that you need to survive and prosper as a self employed nail technician/ beauty therapist.

Most of us seem to agree that a tiered pricing system should be the way to go in a salon, but what about all you one man bands out there, mobile, renting space or in a Home Salon?

Going by the profiles on here there are plenty of you who have invested a lot in your ongoing education, and going by the gallery pics you do fabulous work.

Yet I suspect that some of you are only charging the same rate as a salon trainee tech!!
Why do we always think that price is the only way to compare and compete with other businesses?

Have a look around and see what you can offer, that High St, salons can't.

I will take nail skills and hygiene as a given!!....but with home salons, you get privacy, ambiance, an exclusive 1.2.1 treatment in comfortable surroundings. (if not, why not!)
Mobile, again an exclusive treatment in the privacy of your own home.

I'm mobile and am guilty of not charging enough - especially for rebalances. I have increased my prices once since I started out, and know I need to again. I am planning to review when I've done my Masters and with a nearly full book I know I should......

I think a tiered system in a salon is good BUT you have to tell the client what level of service she is getting so she knows what to expect to pay. I have a couple of clients who have been to a salon in town that charge in this way and having booked an appt and then had their nails done have been seriously shocked at the cost! One client didn't ask for any level of tech, but discovered after her nails were done that it was the Manager that did them and the cost was nearly £60 :eek:. Fine if you know what you're in for but a bit of a shock if you don't!

Good thread Kimmi.

Latest posts

Back