Do you use a brush to apply your foundation & which do you recommend?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fab Freak

Reaction score
I'm not sure whether or not I should buy a brush for the application of my foundation. In the past I've used sponges - but felt they were wasteful soaked up more than it applied, possibly my technique.

But I'm wondered if i will find I get a better finish using a brush?

I've seen one for sale on ebay but it's quite expensive but if my fellow geeks recommend a brush then I might just splash out.

Or as they are synthetic can I go for a cheaper option?

got mine from boots but with some foundations go on a little streaky! It does work on some though.

With your sponges try dampening them a little. Once dampened try and get every little bit of moisure out just before you use the sponge (sounds a bit daft I know). When you apply the foundation, the moisture will stop the waste of product as long as you have got as much excess moisture out, or it will water the foundation down.

Hope this makes sense!

i use the bodyshop foundation brush

i love it

i use the bodyshop foundation brush , i abserloutly love it , and wish id have started using a brush years ago ,
i use it with either my bodyshop foundation, or mousse type foundations , and it works equally well with both types,
its so soft evrytime my sister comes , she robs a bit of make up and just strokes the back of her hand with my brush lol :green:
its about a tenner ...but money well spent hun xx

Body Shop foundation brush for me too. Its an excellent quality foundation brush - I absolutely love it. It gives you a much smoother application and the foundation stays in place so much longer.

I use a Benefit foundation brush, but sometimes use my fingers if I'm pushed for time as I find it quicker. I always use a brush for concealer, especially under the eyes as it gets close and blends so easily.

got mine from boots but with some foundations go on a little streaky! It does work on some though.

With your sponges try dampening them a little. Once dampened try and get every little bit of moisure out just before you use the sponge (sounds a bit daft I know). When you apply the foundation, the moisture will stop the waste of product as long as you have got as much excess moisture out, or it will water the foundation down.

Hope this makes sense!

Theresa was yours the £8 black one? If so I have that one, and if its clean and dry its great, once I've used it once or twice my foundation goes on streaky! So I have to clean it every other day...:mad:

Personally I have never got on with sponges, I like using my brush but usually apply it with the brush then smooth with fingers. But I think its all down to the idividual....:green:

I just started using a brush and its a Go Cosmetics one. Its great, works with both foundations I use and I wish I had used it years ago now. So much more even a result :)

i used a sponge for years to apply my foundation but i bought a brush at excel last month, and it's fab! Blends evenly and you don't use as much product. Thumbs up from me! :)

I have always used my fingers...reason being...(and i read this in a couple of beauty mags)....fingers can be washed as often as you like...so always a clean application...brushes and sponges are not cleaned as often...and so can cause spots.

any beauty peeps out there wanna correct me on this...my ears and eyes are open.....like i said...its just something i read and has stuck with me. xx

I have always used my fingers...reason being...(and i read this in a couple of beauty mags)....fingers can be washed as often as you like...so always a clean application...brushes and sponges are not cleaned as often...and so can cause spots.

any beauty peeps out there wanna correct me on this...my ears and eyes are open.....like i said...its just something i read and has stuck with me. xx

Me too:)

I purchased an expensive Estee Lauder foundation brush. Can't say I'm over the moon though as I find the product goes on streaky!

Theresa was yours the £8 black one? If so I have that one, and if its clean and dry its great, once I've used it once or twice my foundation goes on streaky! So I have to clean it every other day...:mad:

Personally I have never got on with sponges, I like using my brush but usually apply it with the brush then smooth with fingers. But I think its all down to the idividual....:green:

That does sound like the one - havent used it for ages though - may give it another good clean or buy a new one from Benefit or Bodyshop!

i use a bodyshop brush its fab , i ahd never heard of using one until i did a media make up course and the teacher told me it was the "proper" way to apply foundation , and it does make a difference xx

I have only recently started using a brush as the make up range I use in the salon reccommends it & I have noticed a massive difference, You would think it was two different foundations when you compare it, applied by either fingers or brush.

When I bought a mac pressed powder I bought the brush they reccommended to go with it & that cost about £18 but its not much money when you think how long it will last hths

Well you've pretty much said all there is to say hun! If you clean your brushes after every application, job's a goodun.....but if you prefer not to, then use your fingers.

Bear in mind the same will go for powder/blush/shadow brushes....they will all harbour germs too, and how you'd apply and blend loose powder with your fingers is beyond me! :green:

I wash all my professional and personal use brushes after every use, so I have no probs.

As far as a decent foundation brush goes, I have some MAC ones and a couple from an American company (having trouble remembering the name, fab brush though). I hate sponges, so I usually apply with a brush and blend with fingers, pressing the foundation into the complexion with fingertips, like the great Francois Nars recommends :green:

I use my fingers always have done always will do. I tried a sponge and a brush and I have never got the application that I want. I agree with Bagpuss that fingers can be washed as often as you want and you know they are clean. I apply my foundation onto the back of my hand then apply with my fingers from there! hth's xx

I purchased an expensive Estee Lauder foundation brush. Can't say I'm over the moon though as I find the product goes on streaky!

oh i was gonna buy one of those next week don't think i will bother now fingers for me at the moment and never had any touble with those goning to stick with that i think x

I tend to use a sponge for my foundation unless its a special evening when I will then use my Bodyshop brush. I do prefer the cover you can achieve with a brush.

When I did my make up training with Tracy at Artdeco, she said that for a truly professional finish, you should have a brush made from sable as you are pretty much guaranteed not to end up with brush strokes showing through - easier blending. And the good ones don't come cheap!

I use the Avon one i find it very good and is cheap to €9. I sell Avon in Ireland so not sure how much in england. But often have it on offer and can get it even cheaper hth

Latest posts

Back