Do you use the 100 grit side of your abrasives?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I will definitely try the 180 for etching. It sounds a lot safer. I just hope I don't have nails popping off lol!

Thing is ... most of the geeks on here will prep with either a 180 or mostly a 240....and they don't get lifting problems....sure etching the nail might help stop lifting but the natural nail will suffer...its not nesessary...you can care for the natural nail...and do enhancemnts....and not have lifting.....maybe its a mixture of the products being used and the tech using them

This is what I was thinking I just needed a geek to rectify this! she uses Nsi if that is to any relevance! thinking back she told me that she 'bought a kit and taught herself' nails.... :grr: so depressing when I'm trying to go, what I feel is the correct way of nail training, and she has lots of satisfied clients, but surely she is not insured to perform this treatment!! the plot thickens.. :rolleyes:

dont worry, you can safely use your tt with a much gentler preparation routine. cnd prep works fine, you really dont need to use a purple terminator file on the natural nail.

GREAT name ... the terminator ... it terminates the nails well and truly. :lol:

Ha Ha!!! That is funny actually. I have never purchase a terminator (or any of TT files). I just use regular 100/180 grit files but use them lightly! LOL, you guys are a trip!

GREAT name ... the terminator ... it terminates the nails well and truly. :lol:

actually, i always think it sounds like something you might buy at the back of the anne summers shop.:eek:

I will definitely try the 180 for etching. It sounds a lot safer. I just hope I don't have nails popping off lol!

no, it will definately work. i used tt for a good while and i always used a gentle touch with a 180 grit file.

be sure to use a good cuticle remover and a metal tool to completely remove any non living tissue from the nails and then just remove the shine from the nail surface with the file.

if you go to the navigation bar at top left of page there should be a link to the tutorials and there is a very good prep tut. on there.

If im honest, i rarely remove the shine now from my own nails when doing L+P, i just make sure that all the cuticle is removed!

Started to do this after i'd seen the popit demo, and geeg just mentioned in passing for us to have a go at this, then see what we found. And so far i've not had any problems! I've not tried this on clients yet, but i'll be doing my mums nails this weekend so i'll let you know via blog.

I was taught on my CND course to use 180 grit to rebalance and never use the 100 grit side unless I get NSS nails to debulk :irked:

Am curious to see if people do use this side and if so what for ?

180 only on FRESH product never below 180 on fresh hun

100 is fine to use on fully cured product (with CND that is 24-48 hours after application) the reason you dont use 100 on fresh application is as its only 60% cured at the point of shaping you can cause micro-cracks in the enhancement which causes the crosslinks to break while they are still forming, leading to service break down ;o) its in your CND Bible luv.

I don't use any 100 grits, but what I nearly always use is a 120/240. I use the 120 side to thin and shorten when rebalancing and the 240 to prep natural nail and refine L&P after application.

I use my 100grit for removing excess or old product and also to etch the nail bed during prep. Etching doesn't mean I "file" the natual nail but rather use very short, gentle downward strokes. This eliminates the need for primer (great for sensitive clients!) Since learning this technique most of my clients can now go 4 weeks between appointments and the nails grow off rather than lift off.

I use my 100grit for removing excess or old product and also to etch the nail bed during prep. Etching doesn't mean I "file" the natual nail but rather use very short, gentle downward strokes. This eliminates the need for primer (great for sensitive clients!) Since learning this technique most of my clients can now go 4 weeks between appointments and the nails grow off rather than lift off.

Why ...??? get that 100 grit file and etch down a piece of wood....it will scratch it. Thats what your doing to the nails.

If this was the only way do do it then fine...but it isn't !!.. most quality products do not require that this be done...There are hundreds of nail techs on this forum alone who only ever remove the shine with a 240/180 and never have lifting problems....so if your system cant adhere without having to scratch the nail plate then the problem isn't with your prep...its with whatever system you are using.

Why ...??? get that 100 grit file and etch down a piece of wood....it will scratch it. Thats what your doing to the nails.

If this was the only way do do it then fine...but it isn't !!.. most quality products do not require that this be done...There are hundreds of nail techs on this forum alone who only ever remove the shine with a 240/180 and never have lifting problems....so if your system cant adhere without having to scratch the nail plate then the problem isn't with your prep...its with whatever system you are using.

I agree completely, Angie.

Etching ... nice word for thinning and scratching and generally degrading the surface of the natural nail plate ... is only necessary with very low grade products or MMA.

Of course
the product sticks well to the surface :eek: ... it 'keys' into the grooves you have made in the plate. This agressive method of prep went 'out with the ark' and I do not know of any quality product that uses this method any more.

Come into the 21st century and have a bit of respect for the health of the natural nails you are working on.

You say in your profile that you are interested in upgrading your skills. Time to do it and learn to prep in a gentle way.

I see you are a beauty therapist!! Well I'm sure that sandpaper will exfoliate your clients' skins, but my guess is that you use something more gentle that will not make it sore don't you?

Last edited:
I have been reading some unbelievable posts in the last few days advocating some very unsafe and unsound ideas!! Where is all this crappola coming from all of a sudden?

Are new members taking the mickey or is it serious?

At the moment when I am preparing the natural nail for enhancements,
I ONLY use a koala from CND,
It has been used a few times so is worn in,
When explaining my routine to clients, I tell them that all the koala is doing is more or less "stroking oils etc from the nail plate" (sometimes I will ask them if they want to feel the koala to see how smooth the surface is, before I touch their nails with it)
They understand that term..... and I tell them that I am NOT removing ANY nail plate whatsoever,
I always make this clear even if they are regulars, because most have them have had a bad experience in the past, with a "technician" (using the term lightly) has damaged their natural nails,
I say I am basically "cleaning " the nail plate with it, nothing more,
I want them reassured I will NEVER damage their natural nail.....

Healthy natural nails are not only part of my profession and reputation....they are my livelyhood....why the hell would I want to damage them,even slightly,
as eventually the clients nail would be unable to support any enhancement whatsoever !
wheres the sense !

Some of my clients leave 4 weeks in between appointments (tut tut)
and have NO lifting,
Maybe the odd nail where they will proceed to tell me they have knocked etc,,,which is to be expected due to the balance being out after so long.

Now if I only stroke the nail plate with a buffer that has next to no grit, and can go 4 weeks with NO lifting,
There is ABSOLUTELY NO need to use a 100 grit abrasive any where near a natural nail,

Last edited by a moderator:
A koala buffer for me too....
and the same...no lifting...

if there was any product that required me to crucify my nails...then I would change product...:lol:

My little boy loves the 100 grit ... for etching his name into my table :irked:

When rebalancing my own nails and removing excess product, ive accidentally swiped my natural nail once with a 100 grit and boy was that sore! Product lifted in that same spot until the damage had grown through.
I would hate to see natural nails after being 'etched' with a 100 grit. It makes me grit my teeth at the very thought.

The whole thought makes me cringe and it is so unnecessary ... so why do it?

I remember when i was training my tutor said to use the 100 grit to shape the free edge of a tip

well one day one of my classmates was accidently using the 100 grit to blend the tip and swiped it on my natural nails a few times, it hurt like hell and i had tears in my eyes

the thought of a 100 grit on natural nails is obscene

Latest posts

Back