Do you use the 100 grit side of your abrasives?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cazbar

Reaction score
I was taught on my CND course to use 180 grit to rebalance and never use the 100 grit side unless I get NSS nails to debulk :irked:

Am curious to see if people do use this side and if so what for ?

I use it for French Rebalance but only to debulk ... never close to the natural nail.

i also use it to de bulk.i wouldnt use it close to the cuticle though as i might cut my client.x

One of my favourite files is the LCN 100/100! But again I only use it to de-bulk!

Yes, I use the 100 grit. I use it to shorten the nail, and if I have any lifting, I file it away with that. I use Tammy Taylor and she says to prep the nail bed with the 100 grit, but in truth, I CANT BRING MYSELF TO DO IT!:eek:

I use it to shorten as well.

S

I use the 100/180 straight file from Essentail nails, to shorten rebalance and remove unwanted product.

Yes, I use the 100 grit. I use it to shorten the nail, and if I have any lifting, I file it away with that. I use Tammy Taylor and she says to prep the nail bed with the 100 grit, but in truth, I CANT BRING MYSELF TO DO IT!:eek:

i personally wouldn't use a 100 grit to tackle lifting...you may find that it makes it even worse by rattling the product about...also as lifting is normally around the side walls and cuticle area ... where your product should be at its thinest I'd say you may be working pretty close to the natural nail.

The only files I use are pretty much 100/180. I use the 100 for shraightening the free edge and the sides. I too am a Tammy Taylor user and I do use it to etch the nail (LIGHTLY) before applying my product because her product is designed to fill in the tiny scratches. Any file with a lower grit than 180 just seems like a smoother/buffer to me. I know that I have read a lot on this site that you shouldn't etch with a 100 or even a 180, but I'm afraid not to since this is what I learned and it prevents lifting. Maybe I could try it out on myself next time to see if using a higher grit will work with the TT product.

Sorry to hijack the thread a bit here, but the salon i used to work at, she would prep the nail with a Red tiflon which is an 80 grit...:irked: do any other techs do this?! all her clients (and my nails!) nails were very thin when they came to a soak off, and also some would bleed at the cuticle (understandabley...and 80 grit around the cuticle it burns like hell!!) any opinions on this geeks?! xx

Sorry to hijack the thread a bit here, but the salon i used to work at, she would prep the nail with a Red tiflon which is an 80 grit...:irked: do any other techs do this?! all her clients (and my nails!) nails were very thin when they came to a soak off, and also some would bleed at the cuticle (understandabley...and 80 grit around the cuticle it burns like hell!!) any opinions on this geeks?! xx

Only one, and thats that I would never do it nor should any other tech! :hug:

The only files I use are pretty much 100/180. I use the 100 for shraightening the free edge and the sides. I too am a Tammy Taylor user and I do use it to etch the nail (LIGHTLY) before applying my product because her product is designed to fill in the tiny scratches. Any file with a lower grit than 180 just seems like a smoother/buffer to me. I know that I have read a lot on this site that you shouldn't etch with a 100 or even a 180, but I'm afraid not to since this is what I learned and it prevents lifting. Maybe I could try it out on myself next time to see if using a higher grit will work with the TT product.

I don't want to harp on at you hun cos like you said you have read about not using a 100 on the natural nail...but saying that TT fills in the scratches is irrelevant...the fact is you are thinning the nail in places...if you are using a product that requires the nail to be prepped using a 100 grit file then i would consider using another brand. Most good brands do not require this and it doesn't result in lifting.

I am not nagging you i promise...i am just trying to explain why its not good practice....hope you understand:hug:

Last edited:

only thing a 80 grit is good for is removing gloss from my woodwork...:eek:

:lol::lol: very funny angie.
my mum used to use them sorts of files brfore i got into nails.she doesnt anymore though.:lol:

dont worry, you can safely use your tt with a much gentler preparation routine. cnd prep works fine, you really dont need to use a purple terminator file on the natural nail.

Yes, I use 100 grit or 80 grit to debulk zone 1 when doing a rebalance. Also, to reduce the lenth.
That's the only time i use it.

Exactly my thoughts too...

See this is the thing Angie, all these incidents are starting to click into place now from when i worked there! She would make 50% of clients bleed or yelp in pain! another thing is that there was NO sanitation when clients bled on files..she would mop blood up with lint free pads! and then...re-use the 80 grit on the next client! this is starting to sound like a NSS isn't it!

I'm beginning to think she has actually had NO nail training, she has no nail certificates on her wall, just beauty, ALSO...she NEVER removes dead matter on the nail plate! :eek: but her clients nails would have 0 breakages on there 2 week rebalance. Do you think this could be because she is filing the nail plate down so much that the L+P doesn't lift? i'm stumped...

(again cazbar sorry to steal your thread :green:) xx

I wonder then, since TT is a pro, why she would educate in this manner, since it seems to be so taboo? I'm seriously confused lol! Is it because she is old school and hasn't changed her routine? I know that etching with 100 grit is what everyone used to do back in the day. No Bagpuss, I didn't think you were harping on me :green: I appreciate people's opinions when they are in a helpful, yet nicely worded manner.

Exactly my thoughts too...

See this is the thing Angie, all these incidents are starting to click into place now from when i worked there! She would make 50% of clients bleed or yelp in pain! another thing is that there was NO sanitation when clients bled on files..she would mop blood up with lint free pads! and then...re-use the 80 grit on the next client! this is starting to sound like a NSS isn't it!

I'm beginning to think she has actually had NO nail training, she has no nail certificates on her wall, just beauty, ALSO...she NEVER removes dead matter on the nail plate! :eek: but her clients nails would have 0 breakages on there 2 week rebalance. Do you think this could be because she is filing the nail plate down so much that the L+P doesn't lift? i'm stumped...

Oh dear lord! I have never caused a client to flinch or bleed during etching. I do it every lightly on the surface! My gosh, that girl needs training!!!

Do you think this could be because she is filing the nail plate down so much that the L+P doesn't lift? i'm stumped...

Thing is ... most of the geeks on here will prep with either a 180 or mostly a 240....and they don't get lifting problems....sure etching the nail might help stop lifting but the natural nail will suffer...its not nesessary...you can care for the natural nail...and do enhancemnts....and not have lifting.....maybe its a mixture of the products being used and the tech using them

Latest posts

Back