Do you wear gloves during nail service?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Do you wear gloves during nail service?

• yes

Votes: 6 6.3%
  • no

Votes: 69 72.6%
  • sometimes

Votes: 20 21.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

nailroom

Reaction score
Hi All,
When I did my unit 19 NVQ, we were advised it's good practise to wear gloves (latex/vinyl) to prevent any product over exposure, etc, also even though clients hands are sanitised, to prevent getting any possible non apparent nasties!

I do wear gloves if only to protect my own enhancements coming into contact with any polish remover etc.

I just wondered what everyone else does!!

luv Sarah x

I only wear gloves when removing enhancements - this is obviously to protect mine from the tip remover/acetone.

Hi All

This seems a good post to ask if any of you guys have used the rubber finger cones, if so, are they any good. It's a pain when having a nice new set that at the end of the day funny shaped nails seem to appear. I know the answer is to keep nails out of the way but it is always the middle finger right hand that rests on the file and gets zapped.

Cheers
Lynda

Its not a bad idea to prevent overexposure... however... DO NOT WEAR LATEX!

Latex is a natural substance and therefore can prove to be a higher sensitiser. More people will experience allergic reactions to natural substances over synthetic substances.
Also... If you are not allergic to Latex (many people naturally are) it wont take long to become allergic as monomer breaks down Latex and carries it into the skin... In a nutshell, you will become allergic pretty darn quickly.

If you wear gloves, I strongly suggest Nitrile gloves. These are the type that surgeons use. I got the purchasing department of Designer Nails to start stocking them a couple of months ago.

nJoy

I always wear gloves when applying gel, and removing enhancements!

Cazza :shock: :shock:

Hi Geek,
thanks for bringing the latex allergy thing to my attention.

Funny enough one of my clients works in a residential home and mentioned that they are not using latex gloves anymore because of possible allergies. I should have taken it more seriously.

I suppose not only does it affect me by using them, but am I right in thinking it will affect the clients skin as well then? These gloves seem to sold everywhere!!!

I don't have any signs of allergy after using the gloves for about 2 years!!
but I will have a go at the Nitrile ones you mentioned.

luv Sarah x

nailroom said:
I suppose not only does it affect me by using them, but am I right in thinking it will affect the clients skin as well then? These gloves seem to sold everywhere!!!

Very likely... yup.

Glad to be of service ;)

Nail Geek, re: your comment about the momomer breaking down the Latex, this is ringing bells!!

I woke up at 3am this morning and my hands and wrists were itching like mad, it's still driving me nuts!! The pharmacy said it must be an allergy thing but i hadn't been using anything different on them although for the last few days i have been wearing gloves while applying acrylics on customers so im wondering if this is the reason - I know you arn't a chemist but in your experience what is the best way to get rid of the itchy skin???!!!

Im definately dumping the rest of those gloves and buying the ones you mentioned!!

Loufd said:
I know you arn't a chemist but in your experience what is the best way to get rid of the itchy skin???!!!

Nope... not a chemist... I only play one on TV ;)

The 'itchiness' will subside once your body acclimates to the allergen (in this case the Latex).
Don't use them again as the symptoms will just increase in severity.

Wear Nitrile :!:

Good luck

hiya all
i dont wear gloves.
i'm v.careful about not allowing monomer to touch my skin, & making sure that any gauze pad or paper roll that i've cleaned my brush on doesn't creep under my wrist :shock:
i personally find the dust more of an irritant, (hence £3,000 of extaction being fitted in my salon v. shortly)
good house keeping should minimise any possible exposure.
lol liza xx

Hi Loufd,
Just a thought..........
Go to the chemist and get some anti hystamine tablets or cream.........
this will reduce the itching.................
As for wearing gloves, yes I sometimes do, specially when I refill my desk containers..............and on odd occasions during a service......... soak off's mainly..... apart from that rarely..........
But I am a hand wiping freak and always use baby wipes or cool blue to get rid of any dust on my hands.............

hope this helps
love Ruth xxx

thanks for the advice!!

For me, gloves are not comfortable. I cannot wear them during any service. I need to be able to feel what I am doing. ~ Although there have been a few times when I wish I was wearing gloves during a pedicure :eek: !! haha

Candy

I'm glad your brought up the latex allergy....My son is highly allergic to latex. the reason being he had 3 operations which over exposure to latex can cause the allergy and only worsen the reaction every time your exposed. So not only to protect your clients, but yourself as well

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back