Do you wear rubber gloves, Safety glasses and a mask?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sachi

Reaction score
The more I learn the more I think that wearing these items should be mandatory. Just read up on pseudomonas [sue-de’mo-nus] and it makes me want to always ware gloves for my sake and my clients. I have had a small bit of acrylic hit my open eye, and well all that dust! So I want to know what you think? Do you? Will you? Have you? Why don't you? And how hard is it to work with them? :green::?:

I don't wear gloves,mask or safety glasses when doing any of my treatments.
I wear glasses and have tried to put a mask and safety glasses on for a competition all it resulted in was me getting far to hot and my glasses steamed up every time I breathed out.

There really isn't a huge need for PPE (Personal Protective Equipment) as long as you respect your products and work with care.
I dont feel we need to work with gloves and to be honest they would hinder me.
:hug:

I don't because tbh I just don't find them pactical.

I have used gloves on occasion and I wore a mask ONCE! A lady came to me who had her sister-in-law do her nails. She was at college and had almost completed level3. They were horrific!! 3x too long, way way way too thick, bad shape, no shape was the same on any of the 10 fingers!
She came to me for a rebalance as her s-i-l was on holiday, there was SOOO much filing to do (used 2 100 GRIT files). I don't think I could've managed without a mask so they're good to have to hand. Took me 1 1/2 hrs just to file product down and shape them properly and she had to come back the next day so I could finish them!

I agree with you about the health and safety aspects but those goggles for one in my opinion hinder my service - I can barely see a thing with them (I wear glasses though and have to put them over the top - not good)

I don't use either....

I very rarely get monomer on my skin, use plastic padded wipes, use tweezers to hold the paper if I'm cleaning my dappendish, I wash all dust of my hands, and tbh I cannot work with gloves for nailtreatments I find they make me clumpsy...

I wear glasses myself, but not safety ones and not masks, I don't lean over my monomer or wipe, I have extraction to the right in my breathing zone, and also extraction on my table, this means I leave my wipe in the corner of the extraction, so when I wipe my brush the smell just goes outside, I practise sculpting with my file etc....

So should I protect myself even more???? Maybe but I won't if I means my quality and timings goes wrong...:hug:

Gloves and safety specs are not something i'd wear - i feel they'd hinder me during treatment.

However i do now wear a mask all the time when i am applying Acrylic. In the 7 years i have been working as a nail tech i have at least had 3 bad chest infections per year. The tail end of last year I had a horrendous chest infection that literally lingered for weeks and weeks and I thought enough is enough! I am convinced the dust particles (especially when doing backfills which generates quite a bit of dust) were going onto my chest and irritating it. Now i wear my mask throughout the treatment, my clients are not put off by it and all agree that it is better to protect ones lungs when in close proximity to dust etc.

My partner is an electrician and he has to wear a mask at all times when on site, he had a scare about asbestos exposure last year and it made me thing about the health of my own lungs. I know it had been said on this forum before that it is highly unlikely that working with dust in our profession will cause any problems in later life - but i can't take that risk! My father died of lung cancer and so i think it is piece of mind for me to protect myself.

I dont think it puts my clients off, it is only the same as your dentist wearing one and many of my clients have been impressed that i am thinking of my health and safety at work.

I dont use any of them because i dont think its needed. Learning to work with products properly and try to control dust seems enough to keep me safe.

Its one of those things thats a very personal choice though, and i think if it makes you feel better to use them, then you shouldnt be put off by anyone elses opinion. Do whatever makes you feel safe and comfortable at work!

I'm a mobile tech, so i'm not in a salon exposed to possible dust created by other techs or sitting in the atmosphere all day long.... although i'm sure good hygiene in salon can keep everyone safe too!

Why not try them when doing a freind or family members nails if you think its something you need? You'll soon find if you can work with the gloves / mask etc. :hug:

No, never. The world is going mad with all these measures and quite honestly no client wants to feel as if they will contaminate us if we breathe their air or, God forbid, touch their skin! This is a beauty business not surgery and I feel strongly that we should take sensible care of ourselves and our clients without becoming hysterical about it!

I would be worried if I went to get my nails done and the tech was done up like a hazchem worker.
Your clients would be seriously put off having a treatment that was so clearly toxic.

I'm a hair geek, and embedded cut hairs, breathing in hairspray and handling dirty hair is all part of our job. There is a risk to health there if you take it to the furthest degree.

Wearing a mask is hardly dressing for a nuclear attack or biohazard experiment.
In my opinion it is imperative to look after yourself when working with dust/fibres or chemicals. I have a good dust extraction system but that does not stop dust floating into my lungs when my face is close to the clients nail when backfilling, I look at the amount of dust on my hands after drilling and it shows to me how much dust is possibly filtering into my lungs, I take my mask off to apply the product then pop it on to file.

My dentist wears a mask for hygiene reasons, that doesn't put me off going back for my fillings, my hairdresser pops on gloves when colouring my hair - why? To stop her hands becoming stained - that is purely a vanity thing and I don't think anything less of her for doing so - so whats the problem with wearing a mask? It doesn't put my customers off, in fact many have commented how good it is to see someone taking care of their health.

I appreciate that many of you choose not to wear a mask - and thats fine, its a personal preference, but i do think when working with dust it is prudent to protect yourself - one speck of asbestos can cause lung disease, one speck of acrylic dust probably won't, but in 25 years time when i hang up my nail file and retire I pretty much like to think my lungs are healthy and not damaged by 25 years worth of dust.

The topic is mask, gloves and goggles? A dust mask is prudent, the whole shebang would be offputting.

My Dad died of mesothelioma, so I know a bit about asbestos.

I don't think we are really in the same league of risk, nor is there the same huge financial vested interests in hiding a risk.

If there was an ingrediant in false nails that posed a significant risk, it would be banned. There is no huge business lobby behind it to delay the truth being exposed, as there was with asbestos.

I thought we were talking about mask, goggles and gloves!!!

I do apologise dear, i thought you were claiming wearing a mask would be like dressing up for biohazard thingymagibs, a case of a cross in the wires there.

I know there is no risky ingredients in acrylic, but me like you have experienced losing my father to a lung disease so i suppose that makes me more paranoid about protecting myself.

But anyway, its a good thread and great to have lots of different views xxx

I thought we were talking about mask, goggles and gloves!!!

sorry crossed wires, PMT is causing me to go off on a tangent as normal. Mask - yes, Gloves - NO and safety specs - No. I should have said it like this earlier instead of waffling on.

Sorry xx:zzz:

I don't wear anything of these things, but I do wear glasses and personally feel they alone help to protect my eyes from flying objects. I have trouble with wearing gloves for anything (work, cleaning, gardening) because my hands are so small that they often get in the way. I don't want to risk not being able to give 100% to my clients b/c the fingers on my gloves are too long to work with, but I and my clients wash hands often and use antibacterial hand sanitizer, so I feel safe there, and if any of my clients had any sort of rash or something I was not sure about, I would refer them to their dr before working on them so we had all needed information about their condition. As for the masks, I am not opposed, but like others, I wear glasses and fog keeps me from being able to see and I have an extractor. However, I must say that if you are going to wear a mask, I think it is important to give your client the option of wearing one too. If we are wearing it to protect ourselves, we need to give that option to our clients too.

It is about all three, and each as well. I like to know what you use and when etc. I think That if I have product to Nip off I will put on glasses just to make sure I don't hit my eye again! Gloves if they have infections, to take off product as the infection is highly contagious. And a mask when I file. Maybe not all 3 the whole time, but each at different times for good reasons.

I do respect every ones opinion and each has a reason for it. How ever I don't think a client would be put off if you used 1 or all of them for the reasons and at the times stated. If you ware glasses then you should be safe any way but if you don't would it not be best to just be safe?
Anything that can not be put in an autoclave or well disinfected after being on an infected persons hands. IE pseudomonas infection I will toss. Like the files. And gloves will just be one more deterrent for the Pseudomonas spreading to me or my clients.

My Step dad was a car painter and never wore a mask when he sanded or painted. I know the products we use are safer then what he had to use, but no amount of dust is ok for our lounges imo.
SO I think that a mask will be one that I use ever day, glasses when I have to nip, and gloves for ickys. :hug:

, and if any of my clients had any sort of rash or something I was not sure about, I would refer them to their dr before working on them so we had all needed information about their condition.

As for the masks, I am not opposed, but like others, I wear glasses and fog keeps me from being able to see and I have an extractor. However, I must say that if you are going to wear a mask, I think it is important to give your client the option of wearing one too. If we are wearing it to protect ourselves, we need to give that option to our clients too.

Unless you need to take the nails off before they go to the Dr.

masks for them if they wanted it, but really, we are there for 8-10hr a day breathing it. That is allot of dust for us.

There shouldn't really be product to nip off,we file it off or soak it off,we cut our tips but hold on to them as we cut to prevent from flying off and hitting anyone in the eye.

Rubber gloves,noooo if its ok to use product on their hands/nails then why shouldn't it be okay for us?

Mask,well I dont because im asthmatic and find them stifling but if you feel you need to all's good,lots do.

Goggles,well again,if you feel you need to then I dont see any reason why not.I dont again because I hate them,makes me feel all hot and bothered especially combined with the mask.I nearly had a panic attack wearing both when at college,and we HAD to wear them for assessments:eek:

There shouldn't really be product to nip off,we file it off or soak it off,we cut our tips but hold on to them as we cut to prevent from flying off and hitting anyone in the eye.

Rubber gloves,noooo if its ok to use product on their hands/nails then why shouldn't it be okay for us?

Mask,well I dont because im asthmatic and find them stifling but if you feel you need to all's good,lots do.

Goggles,well again,if you feel you need to then I dont see any reason why not.I dont again because I hate them,makes me feel all hot and bothered especially combined with the mask.I nearly had a panic attack wearing both when at college,and we HAD to wear them for assessments:eek:

It is not the product that I have referred to as needing to ware the gloves. It is infections! To keep them from spreading to everyone in the free world. If for a min I thought the product was that nasty I doubt I would be in the nail biz.

I have had a few times that there was some lift that I nipped the larger part off and then filed the the rest down. But if I had filed all of it it might have been present for the client. And lets face it MMA can be nasty to soak off and to file! So If a client comes to me with MMA nails I will nip the lift off and let the crap grow out!

Being asthmatic would make me want to ware masks. But thats just me. :)

Gloves yes as I like to keep my own enhancments scratch free, I remove gloves after debulking during rebalance and reapply to refine and shape.

Mask no but I am seriously considering doing so as I am a mobile tech and the amount of dust throught the day can be allot, and dust particles do hang in the air we breathe. For our clientsit poses no risk as they are only exposed to the dust for a minimal time twice a month, but we as techs over long periods of time (years) to be exposed to nail dust may cause overexposure (did not say will,,only may) FACT.

Safety glasses should be worn when wearing soft contacts as vapours in the air can be absorbed by these? I would be more worried about my clients thinking I am unsafe, rather than safe and well informed, prevention is better than a cure xxx

It is not the product that I have referred to as needing to ware the gloves. It is infections! To keep them from spreading to everyone in the free world. If for a min I thought the product was that nasty I doubt I would be in the nail biz.

I have had a few times that there was some lift that I nipped the larger part off and then filed the the rest down. But if I had filed all of it it might have been present for the client. And lets face it MMA can be nasty to soak off and to file! So If a client comes to me with MMA nails I will nip the lift off and let the crap grow out!

Being asthmatic would make me want to ware masks. But thats just me. :)

Being asthmatic I cannot cope with the mask over my face,as long as im in a well ventilated room im okay,but then again I dont tend to do many enhancements these days.If I was only doing enhancements I think I would have to manage with a very good extraction unit.I get claustaphobic with a mask on.:green:

Latest posts

Back