Do your staff think you are stupid?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
She is an alright worker, but one of those as soon as your backs turned she is sitting on her bum doing nothing when she has no clients in. If there is cleaning to be done she is in the loo or fafs around pretending to do something else. This is the second time she had faked being ill in less than a month. The last 2 weeks she has just about covered her wages.....oh god I sound really mean now moaning on.
i don't think you sound mean at all,
you have a business to build and run and you cant do that successfully with staff that don't give 100%
I had a girl start yesterday on work experience seemed really nice, i didn't give her any horrible jobs to do, no cleaning or anything like that, i even took her to the local pub for her lunch and she rang me at 8.30am this morning to say she has an infection and wont be coming in today :eek: because she has to go to the doctors for some antibiotics,
for gods sake its only her second day, and realistically how long does it take to visit your GP and get a prescription,
she was well yesterday,
at least she is only with me for 1 week, but she has mucked up her chance of a good reference unless she impress`s the hell out of me thur and fri

ok mate...this is getting worse.:green:

You can allow for young but bone idol??????????? hmmmmm let us know how it goes!

Will let you know on Friday, thank you :Grope: xx

Anybody under 12 months does not have any employment rights

This depends on the employment contract or the terms of her trial period.

As she is on a trial period, you could have a word with her, call it a trial revue. How does she like her job? does she see a future with you? aso; this will give you a great opportunity to highlight her short comings.
It may just be the kick up the bum, she needs.
I found this on the ACAS site and here is also a link to their website:

Acas - How can we help?
An employer is required to give an employee:

• at least one week’s notice if the employee has been employed by the employer continuously for one month or more but for less than two years;
  • at least two weeks’ notice if the employee has been employed by the employer continuously for two years’ and
  • one additional week’s notice for each further complete year of continuous employment for a period of less than 12 years’ continuous employment; and at least 12 weeks’ notice if the employee has been employed by the employer continuously for 12 years or more.

Why not go round to her house and say....i just wanted to give you these flowers we all got you as you are very ill......!!!!:lol:

Why not go round to her house and say....i just wanted to give you these flowers we all got you as you are very ill......!!!!:lol:

I like this idea very much! :lol:

You don't have to give her any reason for terminating her contract as she has been there under 12 months. You can pay her notice in lieu and just ask her to leave. There's nothing she, or any employment lawyer, can do about it. She can't claim unfair/constructive dismissal either.
I think this is not a glittering start to her time with you. Usually it takes a little longer than 2 months for the honeymoon period to start wearing off, and if she's this bad at the start (when she's supposed to be making a good impression) what's she going to be like in 6/9/12 months' time?

You don't have to give her any reason for terminating her contract as she has been there under 12 months. You can pay her notice in lieu and just ask her to leave. There's nothing she, or any employment lawyer, can do about it. She can't claim unfair/constructive dismissal either.
I think this is not a glittering start to her time with you. Usually it takes a little longer than 2 months for the honeymoon period to start wearing off, and if she's this bad at the start (when she's supposed to be making a good impression) what's she going to be like in 6/9/12 months' time?

I know it will only get worse, as I got a text from her this afternoon to see if I NEEDED her in work tomorrow how cheeky is she!!! Told her that I did as she has clients booked in. I am going to let her work all day tomorrow and let her go at the end of the day with a weeks lieu of notice, she can be someone elses headache I have enough :mad:

I love that idea too, kicking myself I never done something like that last night. I did try her mobile late on and her mum answered so she never took it out with her, crafty:!:

Hi Deb
I feel for you bab, I've got a salon and some of my staff treat me like c**p, and then the others think that I treat the p**s takers better than them, I wish I had the guts just to sack the lot of them and work on my own, but it'll never happen. ha ha ha
good luck

My god, i cant belive how mean some people can be...thats not on at all.
Sack her - But play her at her own game, i'd have done the flowers thing. What a great idea!! My mum has a clothing shop and had a simuar thing done to her so she went round and she was out shopping, so she just sacked her. Staff need to understand your not going to pay them for sitting around doing nothing and only half heartedly working when they do. It sounds to me that she's chosen the wrong carrer!

Hope it works out for you in the end.

xxxx

I would get rid as I wouldn't let anyone take me for a ride.

I would also let her know I knew what she was upto! She can grow up at someone elses expense!:irked:

You have to think that this girl is representing YOUR business. Is this the type of message that you want to be sending out to your clients?

Well I have done the dirty deed and i am now on my second drink (and last as I have got clients 2morrow) for the evening with a horrible sick feeling in my stomach. I have already recieved an abusive voicemail massage on my mobile from her mother telling me she hated working for me anyway, she was going to leave and I am nothing but a working class snob (i have taken that one as a complament LOL:green:).
So I think I am in for a few nasty calls over the next coming weeks and lots of no shows.

Thank you all for your advice it does help lots.

debs x

Good on you Deb, you have done the right thing,
she will soon get fed up of playing silly games and move on to annoy someone else,
:hug:

Well done - I bet you feel relieved she has gone now and you havent got to chase her about all the time. Onwards and upwards!! :hug:

She doesnt deserve a job if thats how she treats people. And getting her mum to ring up and shout at you -whats that going to achive. Dont worrie, ride it out, she'll get bored by new week. maybe keep your mobile on silent -just in case!

xxx

HI

I had that once when i let someone go. Her mum kept calling me and being abusive in the end i told her if she called again i would report her to the police for harassment.She left me alone after that.

Well I have done the dirty deed and i am now on my second drink (and last as I have got clients 2morrow) for the evening with a horrible sick feeling in my stomach. I have already recieved an abusive voicemail massage on my mobile from her mother telling me she hated working for me anyway, she was going to leave and I am nothing but a working class snob (i have taken that one as a complament LOL:green:).
So I think I am in for a few nasty calls over the next coming weeks and lots of no shows.

debs x

Take it all as a compliment hun......when your boss you make enemies aswell as some friends....thats live , move on now and look for another ....good luck xx

debs x

Well done - you've done the right thing.

Believe me, you are not the only one who is/has had to go through this with salon staff (or any staff for that matter).

I won't go into specifics, but rest assured we have had our fingers burned on several occasions too.

The best advice I can give would be to follow your gut instinct. If something doesn't "feel" right in the salon i.e. communication, it's invariably because it isn't. If that's the case then ACT FAST and make what changes have to be made.

It's your name above the door, and your reputation, so you always have to do what is right for you.......

Well the reaction you have had tells you that you have certainly made the right decision. :hug:

Latest posts

Back