Dodgy/damaged nail help please!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wonderban

Dani
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

So I've just recently qualified in Brisa Gel and Shellac. I am getting on well with both products and doing L+P in June :)

My sister has been my model the whole way through and her friend is now desperate to get her nails done. However she has one nail that has been damaged. She was going to a NSS before and then caught the acrylic on something, and ripped the nail off. This was last summer

I've attached photos of the nail (from approx 2 weeks ago) because at first I thought it was onycholysis, but from looking at it now I think it may also be a bit of a fungal infection? I'm really not sure. I've not seen it in the flesh, only the photos that were sent to me that I have attached.

I said to my sister that she needs to go to the doctor as if its fungal I cannot do her nails as it would infect all my products, I also said if it was onycholysis it cannot be enhanced. She has told me her friend has been to the doc and the doc said that it was a damaged nail bed and that the friend doesn't want this nail enhanced, just the other 9 and will wear a plaster.

Geeks please help me! What should I do? Enhance 9? And how can I be sure the friend has been to the doc? :confused:

Attachments

• nail1.PNG
    nail1.PNG
    388.1 KB · Views: 187
  • nail2.PNG
    nail2.PNG
    565.6 KB · Views: 128
Can anyone help? Please x

Whether or not the friend has been to doctor, I still wouldn't enhance that nail yet, as I would prefer the nail to grow a bit longer and present less trauma.

Doing the 9 healthy nails is a perfectly acceptable compromise if both you and the client are happy to proceed. I've done so several times at a client's request if there is one nail I'm not willing to work on, but the others present no concern.

If in the future the client wants the affected nail done, but it still looks to be affected by something, you could require a doctor's note confirming no contra-indications x

Whether or not the friend has been to doctor, I still wouldn't enhance that nail yet, as I would prefer the nail to grow a bit longer and present less trauma.

Doing the 9 healthy nails is a perfectly acceptable compromise if both you and the client are happy to proceed. I've done so several times at a client's request if there is one nail I'm not willing to work on, but the others present no concern.

If in the future the client wants the affected nail done, but it still looks to be affected by something, you could require a doctor's note confirming no contra-indications x

Thank you so much, I just really wasn't sure. I asked my trainer and she said she thought it looked OK to enhance if it was kept super short and fitted with a tailored tip. I'm not sure I'd be comfortable with it though.

In your opinion what do you think it looks like?

x

Thank you so much, I just really wasn't sure. I asked my trainer and she said she thought it looked OK to enhance if it was kept super short and fitted with a tailored tip. I'm not sure I'd be comfortable with it though.

In your opinion what do you think it looks like?

x

Honestly, I wouldn't like to say, for the simple reason it could be all kinds of things, serious or not, and my opinion on what it looks like from my screen could be wildly off. We're not qualified to offer medical or health related opinions, and it's perfectly acceptable- and appropriate- to say so if you are asked

Our role is to correct or make pretty- not diagnose problems. Stick to what you know, which is cosmetic enhancement, if you are comfortable, and leave the problem fixing to her health professional x

Honestly, I wouldn't like to say, for the simple reason it could be all kinds of things, serious or not, and my opinion on what it looks like from my screen could be wildly off. We're not qualified to offer medical or health related opinions, and it's perfectly acceptable- and appropriate- to say so if you are asked

Our role is to correct or make pretty- not diagnose problems. Stick to what you know, which is cosmetic enhancement, if you are comfortable, and leave the problem fixing to her health professional x

Thank you, I'm only asking as I don't want to get the hump from keeping telling her to go to the docs. I'm not gonna touch it though and just say if she wants it enhanced then she needs a doctors note first. x

Just tell her that you're sorry, but you aren't qualified to assess her condition and if you have doubts it is in her best interest the nail isn't worked on.
No reasonable person can argue that. An unreasonable person, well, she'll have to just get the hump then [emoji16]

Latest posts

Back