Dodgy enquiries for massage

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This thread has left me seriously considering if I could comfortably employ any women considering my business is going to be a unisex salon and spa. And it would seem that female employees would not be willing to treat/assist male clients.

I used to work in a salon and have done countless men's haircuts.... I love doing men's hair (they're better clients than some women 😂) and have always felt very comfortable doing so in an environment where someone else is present.

The mobile issue is purely 'better safe than sorry' safety related and nothing to do with discrimination. I understand that just as not all women will be nice the percentage of men who are nasty is very low. Unfortunately the prevailing occurance of sexual violence toward women (I understand not just women though... men face it too) means we have to take pre-emptive precautions to protect our safety and right to dignity. Just as I wouldn't walk through a park or dark street alone at night. It's called common sense. Men are generally physically better equipped to defend themselves than us. I would prefer to deal with an embroiled legal issue than go through a vile, disgusting experience that would leave me with emotional scars for the rest of my life.

I understand there will always be times that either gender will be made to feel uncomfortable by the opposite gender and the same gander too.

Let’s be crystal clear that we are talking Biological Sex not Gender, which is a social construct.
It’s Biological Sex that is the protected characteristic in all Sex Discrimination legislation.

The hair beauty industry does not support discrimination!! Everybody has the right to feel safe in their own career/job or just in general for that fact! I’m in the hairdressing side and yes I am a unisex salon but if I even get a whiff of a male client or female client for that matter being inappropriate that it done! Let them try and get me done for discrimination, sexual harassment is far more serious IMO!

I'm seriously rethinking any involvement in this industry now that it seems to support discrimination.

Also, you will find that most hairdressing qualifications will state ‘.....Diploma in Women’s Hairdressing’ etc.
If you do not hold qualifications that include assessed units for cutting men’s hair, then you may not necessarily be able to obtain insurance to cut men’s hair.

That’s why Barbers are legally allowed to refuse service to women.

Chris you seem not to have noticed that there are very few employers on this forum and that the majority of postings are from the self employed working solo. Most U.K. beauty salons employ one full time and one or two part timers and the threads and postings here reflect that reality.

You can’t discriminate by sex when you employ staff, unless you have an objective justification, for instance opting to provide a male only service.

It’s important to understand what you’re letting yourself in for! Women, especially young women, may not have any experience of interacting with men as equals and they might not be familiar or comfortable with a male body. They may have had negative experiences at school, with the boys being disruptive. They may not have fathers to practise on, training on a male body isn’t part of college course.

Women may be completely over faced by the physicality involved in waxing a Sicilian male’s back or a Spaniard’s legs (other nationalities are also hirsute). They may never have done a facial or massage on a beard - or over a hairy chest. They may have no idea what type of touch feels comfortable. Most women don’t have very hairy areas of their own bodies, so it’s difficult to imagine. And some Girls have a light touch for massage and some men prefer more pressure. Anxieties about treating men may well be because the women fear they aren’t competent to provide the treatment to a satisfactory standard. You can’t assume that female therapists will gain that experience in industry because it depends on their work experience and their comfort level. I treat men for example but I don’t book my therapists with my male clients until they’ve practised on several men under my watchful eye. Some girls get the thumbs down from my testers because they’re soft skills need more work ie they need more confidence and make the men feel uncomfortable with their obvious nerves.

Nerves affect all genders. I’ve had gay men terrified of female nudity in massage class - and barely reach my lumbar spine on a back massage. I’ve also had heterosexual male hands trembling with draping nerves and anxiety.

When you employ staff you have to understand their strengths and weaknesses. Just because someone has a college qualification, it doesn’t mean they can work at the expected industry standard, it just means they’re qualified. Just as a newly qualified driver will be hesitant and uncertain and perhaps reluctant to undertake certain types of journey whilst they are still gaining experience.

I will also give an example of something that happened to me. I was called by a man wanting a massage for his girlfriends birthday. All completely innocent, nothing flagged up & when I arrived he greeted me outside quite friendly. Then started to say that he told her there was a female stripper coming to treat her, lap dance etc etc.
I knew the girlfriend was there & I carried out the appointment as planned & she really enjoyed her massage. If anything had been dodgy when entering the house, I would have been out of there.
Few months later, he got in touch again asking if I would massage her again body on body. Of course, I replied that I was a professional massage therapist & I do not provide these services. I then blocked him.
Because of his behaviour, I had possibly lost a client who genuinely enjoyed a professional massage. I will not be made to feel uncomfortable in my job when visiting clients homes.

Been following with interest from both sides.

I just wondered if people remembered the outright abuse a barbershop got for being men-only in London?

Literally, national news (doesn't say much these days) and people smashing in his shop windows, covering the shop in red paint etc. blew my mind.

I just skimmed through this thread. In the circumstances of unwanted calls. I added anonymous phone reject to my salon line. Its £4 extra a month but honestly its worth it if anyone is pestering you. You can also get it on mobiles but I do not know the cost. It also helps with track and trace on the numbers if I forget to ask hehe! Hths xoxo

Latest posts

Back