Does a highlift tint work on white/grey hair?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chelsxo

Reaction score
Would I need to lower the developer down to 6% to cover the white ones?
Usually I would use 12% at the back as she is Still very dark there naturally

Thank you :)

No.
If you only use 6% with a highlift tint, it’s going to expose the underlying warmth on the darker hair but it won’t contain enough colour pigment to tone it adequately. You need to bleach and then tone accordingly, depending on what you want to neutralise. Or you could use a normal tint depending on the percentage of grey.

With white hair you have to add colour to it, so usually nothing higher than a level 9.

No.
If you only use 6% with a highlift tint, it’s going to expose the underlying warmth on the darker hair but it won’t contain enough colour pigment to tone it adequately. You need to bleach and then tone accordingly, depending on what you want to neutralise. Or you could use a normal tint depending on the percentage of grey.

With white hair you have to add colour to it, so usually nothing higher than a level 9.
So highlift and 12% wouldn’t work?

What level is ‘very dark’?

Personally I’ve always found high lift tints, mixed with 12% as usual, can give a good result over grey/white, but it depends on the white percentage and how evenly it’s distributed throughout the head. Let’s say for example that someone is naturally a level 7 but has the beginnings of white hair scattered through the front, say 25%, I often find the high lift alone will blend that away and give a nice blonde result. However, if someone has a larger percentage of white, say 50% and the white is very prominent in certain areas, then you may find a depositing tint is more suitable on that area, as suggested above.
In other words, salt and pepper grey will get a more successful result with high lift than a client with patches of stark white.

I’d say she’s around a base 6.

Thankyou!
So I may use highlift with 12% in the back Where it’s real dark and maybe just 10/0 with 12% where there are whites ?

I’d say she’s around a base 6.

Thankyou!
So I may use highlift with 12% in the back Where it’s real dark and maybe just 10/0 with 12% where there are whites ?

I don’t think you’ll get a very good coverage using 12% with your 10/0 to be honest. How would you describe this lady’s white areas, does she just have a few greys that need blending away, or does she have lots of white hair that needs proper coverage? If she needs real coverage then you could try 10/0 with 6%, but I wouldn’t let that mixture come into contact with any of her dark hairs, so application will need to be nice and clean :)

A level 10 tint won’t have enough colour pigment to cover white hair. It will look too translucent.
You need to drop to a 9 or an 8. You’re adding colour where there is none.
It’s not the same as colouring bleached level 10 hair, as this will have some pale yellow colour already.

A highlift won’t be much use on on a level 6 unless you’re aiming for a warmer gold tone because the density of colour pigment in it, is quite small.

Latest posts

Back