does any one else think this a stupid idea??

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

muggle

Reaction score
i had a young girl come in the other day with her mum, and she was telling me all about how her school now has a beauty lesson so you can take beauty therapy as an option. her mum thought it was fabulous, but i think this is going to run down the industry.
does this mean that there are goin to be kids coming out of school thinking they are qualified as beauty therapist and going on to work in salons.? surely they are not going to get proper lessons in this.

am i the only one thinking this is going to ruin the beauty industry? sorry if this has been discussed already...

I'm not sure what I think about it... but I have a client whose 14 yr old grand-daughter goes to college one day a week (or maybe one half day pw) as an introduction to beauty and hairdressing. I don't think they get an actual qual at the end of it but definitely a much clearer idea about whether or not they want to take it up :)

I've heard about this, it an option to prepare them for their NVQ I think its the 1st sections of it like level 1 not actual treatments but the foundations of H&S etc

Unless it's a bit like a 'traineeship' while at school. Where you learn all the theory and do a bit of practical stuff but you still have to do your beauty therapy course when you leave school - so it's like an introductory thing. I couldn't imagine that at the end they'd be fully qualified to walk into a salon and start work.
Or it could be more along the lines of a health subject. Taking care of yourself and your skin - that kind of thing.

i used to teach a very basic foundation hairdressing course (ocr) in an EBD school, i used to have alote of differant schools comming in to do the course. Alote of the kids had problems at school and doing this foundation course used to give them an interest. The course was mainly personal hygine, health and safety and teaching the pupils how to speak to members of the public face to face and telephone and how do deal with differant situations. I dont think running courses like these will damage the industry because the qualification would really only just help them get into a collage not a salon

Over the summer i had a young girl in for a work shadowing day, she's desparate to get into the beauty industry. She is now in year 10 and for one day a week she goes to a local college where they have been concentrating on nvq 1, she's popped in to give me progress reports and she's been doing manicures, next year she will be moving on to learning about skincare and basic c/t/m and mask properties etc... i have to say whats wrong with that.
Our brains are at their most receptive at this age, if these young guys and girls decide to continue in the industry then great, they'll will have many more years tuition.
I had a bikini wax at another salon the other day, when the therapist found out i was a therapist too she relaxed, then told me not to expect much as she had only had to do 1 bikini wax when she trained and wasn't that confident with them.
Surely we should be more worried about that kind of training than young girls who are showing an interest and starting young. jmoa, but i don't understand why this bothers people, its not just beauty you can do but hairdressing, plumbing, carpentry,and various other vocational courses its what was always done in the past before it was decided that it was more important that we sent half of our kids mad with the pressure of as levels, gcse's and the like.
Sorry if it sounds like a rant but we should be encouraging:) people who are enthusiastic to join this growing industry xx

i think it will filter out the students that actually WANT to do it!! alot of people drop out of their first year at college because its not all painting nails and poofing hair! so this will separate the wheat from the chaf before they even get onto college level!

i think it will filter out the students that actually WANT to do it!! alot of people drop out of their first year at college because its not all painting nails and poofing hair! so this will separate the wheat from the chaf before they even get onto college level!

I totally agree

We have 'co-op' placements here. For example a student who wants to be a hair stylist will 'co-op' at a hair salon in place of 2 credits at high school.

I think it's great experience. Perfect way to get a real taste of the job. As others have said, kids learn whether they have the passion to pursue it or realize it's not for them and don't waste time and money on the wrong career.

Can't imagine who would consider them 'qualified' after such experience.....

The high school in my town has just started doing this too. They have a salon & year elevens can take a course as a part of their options, Im not sure if or what qualifications they receive at the end of it but I think it is a good idea.

Its the same as a mechanics course, if they choose this as a part of their options they travel to another school in the next town.

I think that at their age its hard to choose a what they want to do for the rest of their lives, maybe this way this is just a taster of what to expect in a NVQ course and to stop some students dropping out when they realise its not something they want to do!!

at the college i go to ...the young ones from school (14-16)are called school links, i think its great idea......to much pressure is sometimes put on students during their options year........for gcse's and now they are able to go to college and do actual vocational courses instead, and the school links lot doing hair at the college i go too are...wild funny and can be boystrous (but werent we all at that age) but are actually brilliant at doing hair.....and my tutor says their attendance levels are brilliant........compared to if they were made to do subjects they dont like.

I know I would have liked school a hell of a lot more if they did subjects I was interested in. I'm a hands on person so anything that was hands on was always top marks - like catering and computing.

I was having this conversation with my Mum recently saying if schools catered better to what students wanted to do when they left school the pupils would be a lot better off.

Since leaving school I've never had to disect a rat, or quote shakespeare in front of others, or do timed math equations in my head (hello, thats what calculators are for and no clients stand in front of me with a stop watch while I add up what they owe me).

I'm not sure what the 'beauty option' entails at your schools, but it's nothing new in Canada or the US.
I took the "Intro to Cosmetology" in highschool. Which taught the very basics, biology, hygiene, and a few other things I don't recall.

Later I took the 2 yr, full time course that was "Cosmetology" that covered ALL the bases (hairdressing, barbering, manicures, pedicures, esthetics, makeup-artistry, business, a bit of chemistry, biology etc...).
For many, Intro to cosmetology helped them to decide if that was what they really wanted or not.
Many girls discovered if they had a knack for it or not, OR discovered that they hated it.
Better than paying a fortune for the 2yr course to discover it's "not your thing".

For some, it was a way to help them, help 'themselves' to take better care of their appearance and build their confidence.

There's nothing wrong with it, as long as the course is run correctly and the students understand that it's simply an 'introduction' and not sufficient for them to begin a career.

hth's

i think personal grooming should be covered in schools from about the age of 14. get people into good habits young!! I have alot of young girls that oil their natural nails daily and cleanse tone moisturise. hopefully it will ensure they keep up the good habts and dont have skin or nail probs etc later on.

how many of s wish we started waxing at 16, and knew then what we know now aout skincare and stuff...

i agree totally, i wish this was an option for me when i was at school

Latest posts

Back