Does anyone else have an irrational fear of taking phone calls?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MamaG

Reaction score
Hi all. I really need to get over this before I launch my little business so wondered if anyone else struggles and how you get over it?
I have no problem at all coming face to face with people and talking but I absolutely hate answering my phone to strangers. In fact at the moment I simply don't do it but of course that needs to change unless I want to be a very quiet, very poor nail tech!
I even used to keep my desk phone secretly on 'do not disturb' at work as I got so anxious if it rang. Any ideas or tips to help me get over this? X

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

Me!!! Ive been mobile since december and still cant answer the phone. Luckily most of my business is done through facebook or text but ive got a voicemail that says leave a message and number and ill get back to you and then i text them back lol. I need to get over it really lol xx

Me!! It's hateful :( I have it when ringing people as well; I take a couple of days to be brave enough to ring and make appointments! :(

Me too! Think we've all got so used to emails and texts that it's made us worse. Also I find that in the last 10years or so friends don't just pop round unannounced anymore as it's so easy to let someone know - so when the doorbell goes we all jump and shout "who's that?"

Omg me too!! Thought it was just me! I don't answer my phone to any unknown number if they leave a voice mail I text them back lol most of my business is through Facebook luckily a lot text me also which is good! So I totally get where your coming from I hate phoning people too I'd rather text

Get a phone and number for work only .

Set up the answerpone with a message letting them know that you are a business , name of buissness might be with a client and they can make an appointment by leaving there infor and get back to them .

And start answering it when u can , envision every call as money in the pocket not bad news or complaints .

Not every one houses Facebook , not everyone wants to email or text for apps and if they can't contact you they will go to someone they can contact .

Sorry if it sounds harsh xxx

Thanks for the replies :) no it doesn't sound harsh at all - I guess the more I answer the easier it will get. Glad it's not just me tho ;) x

I hate ringing the doctors or the bank, Always puts the fear into me! Silly really, I never answer numbers I don't know either, I text and if they don't reply I will call the number.

Yes i do, the same as some of you, get calls from clients that leave messages and instead of calling them back I text back and thankfully find most of them replying rather than calling! It is a very irrational fear like you say!

Glad im not the only one. X

Same! I ignore calls so they can leave a message and then I text back! Sometimes I call as it's not as bad as if they call me - I think I feel more prepared and in control if I call them. Definitely agree what someone said above about if the doorbell goes!! X

Glad it's not just me! I have a panic attack when my phone rings and have to really psych myself up to return call. I don't send text though because I'm mobile and like to have an idea of who I'm meeting. :)

Wow. I guess I can't relate to your fears ladies.
I am a talker, I ask a lot of information over the phone. Assure them of my capabilities so to speak and all this is accomplished in a matter of minutes. Texting is tedious and impersonal. If you want to reach further you have to have a telephone "personality" :) I will text back only if a client texts me and most clients that text are in their early 20s. However, men mostly and any woman over 30 is a caller.
Get comfy with that phone, cause when you get super busy texting will slow you down.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using SalonGeek mobile app

When I started the thread I didn't know if anyone would reply. I'm relieved it's not just me but I think a great point is made above - I think texts and emails for regular customers is acceptable, but for that first contact I'm sure it will appear more professional to speak on the phone. I've been thinking about it since I posted and as I'll be working from home I will feel more comfortable if I have spoken to a customer properly before they come to my home. I am going to man-up and start answering my phone to everybody from today (bet no one calls me now)! :)

Wow. I guess I can't relate to your fears ladies.
I am a talker, I ask a lot of information over the phone. Assure them of my capabilities so to speak and all this is accomplished in a matter of minutes. Texting is tedious and impersonal. If you want to reach further you have to have a telephone "personality" :) I will text back only if a client texts me and most clients that text are in their early 20s. However, men mostly and any woman over 30 is a caller.
Get comfy with that phone, cause when you get super busy texting will slow you down.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using SalonGeek mobile app

Yes, I'm the same, you can't shut me up on the phone. Makes the client feel reassured they've booked someone who knows what they're doing. Every phone call leads to a booking.

Me!!! Ive been mobile since december and still cant answer the phone. Luckily most of my business is done through facebook or text but ive got a voicemail that says leave a message and number and ill get back to you and then i text them back lol. I need to get over it really lol xx

I'm the same :-/

Latest posts

Back