Does anyone have a dual purpose room at home for treatments

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ajshard

Reaction score
My boyfriend has suggested (that's handy ;)) that I use the front lounge as a treatment room. At the moment it houses a tv and two small sofas and an empty book case lol. It is only used every other weekend when my partners kids are here.

There is plenty of room for a nail desk and the book case could double up as a display for my retail items.

Can anyone give me any idea on how to decorate etc, was thinking of using a screen to hide the tv, but not really sure what else to do. Does anyone have any pics of a room they use that is dual purpose, i just dont know where to begin.

Thanks in advance x

Sounds like you are half way there! :)

Mat

I've seen this post before. Or perhaps it's just that a few people appear to be on the "let's get 'em in any way we can" mindset at the moment...

I can't imagine why any self respecting BT would think treating clientele in their lounge room would appear to be even remotely professional. (Not to mention uninsurable).

Would you see your GP in his lounge room, sandwiched between his playstation and china cabinet? Would you buy food from the bloke down the road rustling up the fish and chips in a kitchen he feeds his pet dog in?

Of course you wouldn't. So why would you think it's okay for you to wax someone's fanny in your living room?

Just sayin'. :wink2:

if its a spare room that can be set up as a beauty room id have no problem using it, its only the same as a beauty room anyhow just that its in your home ,just make it warm and inviting and professional looking and clean I'm sure it would be fine x

mmm fair enough, it's not my living room though, it's a spare room used 2 days a month. Housing a spare tv and two small leather sofas and an unused book case. No play station, toys, pictures, nothing ... actually it's a bit of a waste of space really hence the idea... however dont really want to dump the furniture as its quite new and no where else to store it.

It's a lovely bright room, high ceilings, wooden floor, big bay window..... why would insurance be a problem? I have to work in much more unsuitable conditions when I'm mobile?

I've seen this post before. Or perhaps it's just that a few people appear to be on the "let's get 'em in any way we can" mindset at the moment...

I can't imagine why any self respecting BT would think treating clientele in their lounge room would appear to be even remotely professional. (Not to mention uninsurable).

Would you see your GP in his lounge room, sandwiched between his playstation and china cabinet? Would you buy food from the bloke down the road rustling up the fish and chips in a kitchen he feeds his pet dog in?

Of course you wouldn't. So why would you think it's okay for you to wax someone's fanny in your living room?

That did make me laugh!

I personally don't like a room within a home. It could be dodgy bringing strangers into your home (although I know a lot do it). A dedicated room separate from the home is better I think. There are other things to consider, e.g. running a business from a home needs council permission ; H&S issues need to be dealt with and insurance could be a problem (you'll need to check with both your professional insurance and your home insurance)

My council quite happy I am doing it, home insurance covers it - talk to Balens for a policy that does, professional insurance happy too.

And most importantly my clients are happy! They like the fact I'm not a female dominated salon.

Currently in process of moving house, and the plan is to build a Garden Office that will be for the practice so it is outside the house. :)

Mat

OMG Ive just nearly choked on my dinner reading that :lol::lol::lol::lol:

I work from home but the room is dedicated to salon use only.

I think that if you could sucessfully hide the tv, sofas etc then you may be ok. There is so much competition from home salons and emphasis is always on how a home salon is just as professional as a stand alone beauty salon that having the corner of the sofa and tv poking out just doesn't fit the image. IMO

As someone else said, as long as it was professional looking and looked like a salon I think it would definately work. There are quite a few people on here who run very successful businesses from their home.

As for insurance, again, I dont think that would be a problem as long as you look into it carefully. It sounds like for 90% of the time the room would be your dedicated salon. Without being rude, could your partners kids use the main lounge when they visit??! :) Just a thought!

Everyone has an opinion and while some people dont like visiting other peoples homes, plenty of people do!

Good luck with whatever you decide. Its surely worth a try?! xx

i don't really see as any different as mobile workers??
plenty of people have mobile hairdressers/beauty therapists in there home, which won't be decorated as a salon, and completly private.
its personal prefference, i work mobile and most clients say they hate going into a hairdressers as they feel looked down on, or made to feel uncomfortable by the stylists....
its worth keeping it private though, make sure the room is for you and your client xx

It's a lovely bright room, high ceilings, wooden floor, big bay window..... why would insurance be a problem? I have to work in much more unsuitable conditions when I'm mobile?[/QUOTE]

totally agree. i had to do full head foils in a small bathroom once coz if went in the main house the dog would bite me she said :Scared:
hahaha

I think its a great idea as long as the room is suitable i.e clean, no clutter, sreen to hide t.v etc and all set up professionally..............in fact i'm considering on doing exactly the same thing, closing my treatment room down in my village and working from home, no overheads at last! Mainly because i've a 8 month baby and running a shop is just too much and i cant make it pay even when fully booked without staff and there are no staff!! I've interviewed 20 girls not one of my clients said they'd be happy for them to do their treatment! Nightmare!
I'm going to have a strict set two days and make it clear to clients all enquiries need to be done through the mobile, no calling round mid week to book an appointment etc !
Good luck let us know how you get on xx

why not simply turn the room into a home salon, and have the kids play in a different room altogether?
i have just had a reflexology session in someones lounge, didnt give it a second thought .. it was comfortable, light and airy and she worked wonders on me
as someone else mentioned, not everyone would feel comfortable with it, but many others dont see it as a problem
good luck whatever you decide xx

Thankyou, yes was thinking just to have it for myself, lol, need to convince the boyfriend tho. This weekend they didnt use the room at all, dont think anyone but me has stepped in there for nearly two weeks.

Would be nice to have somewhere here, I will be working in a salon soon 2 days a week but to have somewhere for the evenings and any other spares slots of time I have would be great since I cant do full time cos of my kids.....

Maybe I should make the changes and see if anyone notices ;)

Maybe I should make the changes and see if anyone notices ;)

Thats not a bad idea! Give that a go and if anyone says anything just say "oh I didnt think you'd mind seeing as it will be bringing in extra cash and not just gathering dust!" I always find the idea of extra money sways my OHs mind every time :)

Thats not a bad idea! Give that a go and if anyone says anything just say "oh I didnt think you'd mind seeing as it will be bringing in extra cash and not just gathering dust!" I always find the idea of extra money sways my OHs mind every time :)

lol that's really made me laugh... yep the £££'s will help to sway things im sure x

Is the room big enough for the sofas to be part of the room. Great if you are doing a wedding package, plenty of room for friends of the bride to sit and chat. A screen could go around the tv.

I have just kitted out a spare bedroom as a beauty room, well, my hubby did it lol. It looks and feels very professional. Just need to get the clients in now.

I can't imagine why any self respecting BT would think treating clientele in their lounge room would appear to be even remotely professional. (Not to mention uninsurable Yep, its perfectly easy to get insurance for this type of business.

Would you see your GP in his lounge room, sandwiched between his playstation and china cabinet? You know a good professional is hard to find and people follow quality. My OH is a Physician and yes he has patients that would follow him if he set up office in the middle of the road. I'm sure many techs here have clients that are the same. Would you buy food from the bloke down the road rustling up the fish and chips in a kitchen he feeds his pet dog in?

Of course you wouldn't. So why would you think it's okay for you to wax someone's fanny in your living room? This particular poster is a nail tech I believe so no 'fannys' (whichever meaning of the word it refers to :)) need to be displayed :p

I have a home based salon that is dual purpose as I also run another business out of it. It works just fine. I make sure that a lot of the things in the room are easily moveable. The soft furnishings etc are swapped over to suit which clients are coming. My nail stuff is neatly stored away inside my nail station (which is wooden so is also a desk) so I dont have product out all over the place when I need to use the room for other things.

The only thing I would make sure of if the room is to have children in at anytime is that you have lockable cupboards for all your products so theres no danger of little Jimmy deciding that blue liquid looks like it would be tasty.

Halifax home insurance covers you working from home, as long as you tell them.

I work mobile generally but do male treatments in my house. My clients never had any problems with that, in fact males like the fact they're not going into a salon reception among women. I don't have a spare room, so don't think it's good for females. The fact you have a room you can transform to suit is really great and think it's a great idea. Go for it you can only try. If the kids play in it, who cares! as long as it's clean, presentable and you clients get the service they want. I've had a few weirdos phoning or texting but they don't get my address or an appoinment. My mans always in the house when clients are in too!

Latest posts

Back