Does anyone know what gloves are safe to use when applying acrylic nails?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vik

Reaction score
Hi ladies do u know what gloves would be suitable to wear whilst doing acrylic nails :) thanks

Nitrile gloves xx

Ditto...I have lovely bright pink ones :) x

Can you tell me were you get your nitrile gloves from. I have been getting a bad reaction when doing l&p and don't want to give up. Do the nitrile gloves work better than normal latex gloves. Thanks

Nitrile gloves are resistant to MONOMER. Latex isn't.
Mine are bluish/purple. :) I may get the black ones next time, tho.

Sent from my Desire HD using SalonGeek

Sorry to the OP for hijacking a bit.

I was just thinking all of you that uses gloves, do you remove after each client and use a new set? Or do you reuse until damaged? Or do you keep them on a whole day?

Thanks

I dispose after each client.

Are nitrile gloves ok with acetone or does it melt them? X

I've used nitrile with acetone - no good.

I use latex gloves and they work for me.

Gr8nailz has mentioned black acetone-resistant gloves in previous posts but not sure where they come from - I want to say 'gloves 4 u' but I may have made that up lol.

Can you tell me were you get your nitrile gloves from. I have been getting a bad reaction when doing l&p and don't want to give up. Do the nitrile gloves work better than normal latex gloves. Thanks

Hi Ziggy82 - can you please fill in your profile so we know more about you, ie your education, products used etc. This will help when giving advice about issues you are having..

So, without knowing this...
I assume you are trained, and therefore you should know about the allergenic level of nail enhancement products. As such, are you ensuring to follow protocols to prevent overexposure?\

Remember monomer is a high allergen and should never touch soft tissue (skin)
It is a great worry for me how many techs and clients are still developing allergy issues through lack of knowledge..

latex gloves will work fine - however some individuals can actually become sensatised to it and develop irritation, leading to allergy... (as can the powder used in them)
Nitrile gloves however are inert - as such you won't have any irritation issues

if you need/want more information on allergies in the nail industry, search this forum (you will find a LOT of information)
And for a good reference book (every tech should have it): Doug Schoon's - Nail anatomy & product chemistry, 2nd edition is a MUST have!

hth's

Hi envy yes I'm fully trained in l&p. I can not under stand why I have suddenly become allergic to it as I don't wear acrylics I have healthy natural nails. The vapours are some how get through the latex so i need some thicker gloves. I don't want to give up doing l&p as I love my job.

here's a little about allergies... This should be taught and re-enforced in any reputable training center!

overexposure (defined as, repeated and prolonged exposure above levels specified as safe by regulatory agencies) of a high irritant will lead to an allergic reaction

An allergic reaction is a histamine response - the bodys way of attacking what it thinks is a dangerous external agent. the histamine system can easily be triggered when it's not actually needed and this is when it's called an 'allergic reaction'

This will have symptoms such as: red, puffy skin, water blisters, itchy and hot to touch

With a high irritant such as monomer (or other acrylates) the body WILL over time develop a negative response. Note, you will only have this issue if the allergen agent is touching soft tissue - nail plate (keratin) is dead and does not respond.

For some people the reaction can be from the very first exposure, for some it can take years, then one day *boom* it happens...
Usually, this is preceeded by irritation which is the itchiness and slight redenning of the skin - this is your major WARNING SIGN of overexposure - NEVER ignore it!!

because, once allergic, always allergic. Once you become allergic you will need to radically change you routine to ensure None of the irritant ever touches you... gloves etc...

Working safe and not letting the irritant touch soft tissue is the only safe practise
Please get and read Doug Schoon's book - this is a major health & safety issue that puts many techs out of work and leaves many clients unable to have nails enhancements..

Nitrile! Or if you have some extra money to spend, get some Matador gloves. they are awesome. we used them at Sassoon.

One more point for you all. While you are worrying about your allergic reaction, please, please be aware that there are a great many people who are allergic to latex.
This latex allergy can be so bad that a person who has it who touches a desk that has been touched by someone wearing latex gloves is enough to bring on a reaction.
My daughter has a latex allergy and when she was in hospital they had to make sure that the health care who changed her bed remembered to wear nitrate gloves.
They do cost a little bit more, but you will find that the thinness of nitrate gloves makes it worth your while, there is nothing worse than feeling clumsy because the gloves are to thick and it would be a shame to loose a client because they had an allergic reaction to something you did:eek:

I'm gonna check out these matador.gloves.
With me, I tried gelish. A single stripe down the middle of my Pinky nail. NO SKIN CONTACT. Whole hand was swollen by that night. Same happened with ibd soak off pots. Itched to my elbow. I could lick shellac and not have that problem.(i would never lick shellac. I promise) I can even use the bottled soak off gels (gelac)from ibd. Lechat. Forever French. Gelez. No reaction. About to try the newer bottles from ibd. True gel? Just gel? I forget which. They're replacing my goopy gelac. Crossing my fingers.

Also... Since your prob is L&P, I'd like to suggest changing brands? I ordered trial kits from cnd. No reaction from radical, but the retention causes the allergic reaction. When my fingers healed, I was going to, but never got around to trying the moxie.
Something in the monomer? I don't know.

yeah check them out! I think they are discontinued but there are still websites that carry them (I ordered some last week)!

Latest posts

Back