Does anyone send out their patch tests to client?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

c.holdway

Reaction score
I decided last night to send out little pots with solution in for the new clients i have for next week, however they were enveloped and have come in to the kitchen this morning and they have leaked through.
What do you use if you do this?
When i did my training they sent it out in a tiny pot so i decided to wash out them tiny paint pots you can get for the kids lol, didnt work!
I have seen you can buy something similar of ebay, can anyone recommend?

just wanted to let you know that a fellow geek sent me a sample of her glue through the post in one of those tiny little paint pots, but by the time it reached me it had solidified and was hard :0( I know this doesnt help in your seach but you may have to rule the tiny paint pots out, she had even used electrical tape around the lid to keep it safe!!!!

I'm not entirely sure you would be covered by your insurance by saying' I sent the client a pot in the post' as you would not be able to prove that they actually used it???

Hi there, obviously patch testing in person is best but on the odd occasion, when testing in person was not possible, I have sent out a little mixed tint to client which i put in ( and securely wrap) cling film. It doesnt leak and it keeps it moist and fresh. Put directions of what to do and how important it is in envelope too.
Before you actually do the treatment make suire she signs to say that she has undergone a sensitivity test and had no adverse reaction x

Colourstart patch tests. Google them. They are very good. Hths :)

I'm not entirely sure you would be covered by your insurance by saying' I sent the client a pot in the post' as you would not be able to prove that they actually used it???

I have a disclaimer for them to sign to say that the patch test was carried out, and also if for any reason they refused it i have a disclaimer to say that any reaction that occurs will be there responsibility. That will be signed before any treatment is carried out.

The colour start patches look good but are expensive

Colourstart patch tests. Google them. They are very good. Hths :)

You may want to check with ur insurance company first, as they may not cover colourstart as it is not the actual product you are using x

When they sign the record card they have to sign to say they have had a patch test or previously received a tan with the same brand!

ok please dont shoot me down BUT:

you really to check with your insurance. even you get them to sign a disclaimer then they might not stand up in court.

The judge could say that YOU are the professional and its your responsibility to patch test. your client is not a pro and therefore you should not ask them to perform a patch test.

I urge you to look into this carefully. It is a bind to patch test for us and our clients sometimes, however you are potentially risking your livelihood, home savings and your reputation by not doing it correctly. Is it really worth losing all you have worked so hard to achieve for the sake of a few pounds?

your insurance company will be able to help you more.

you really to check with your insurance. even you get them to sign a disclaimer then they might not stand up in court.

The judge could say that YOU are the professional and its your responsibility to patch test. your client is not a pro and therefore you should not ask them to perform a patch test.

I urge you to look into this carefully. It is a bind to patch test for us and our clients sometimes, however you are potentially risking your livelihood, home savings and your reputation by not doing it correctly. Is it really worth losing all you have worked so hard to achieve for the sake of a few pounds?

wholeheartedly agree :biggrin:

I'm not 100% sure but I always thought that the client can still pursue legal action whether you have performed a skin test or not if they have an allergic reaction..Which is why it is so so important to skin test with the product you will be using. For the clients health and safety and your career etc.. I've often wondered what would happen if someone had a severe reaction to a skin test :-0 Where would we stand legally then? :-S

rapunzel

The client can pursue you if they have a reaction BUT provided you have done everything right and to the letter they wont get far.

tigi

When i did my training they told me that cases like that wont go anywhre. I could walk in of the street to a salon and get a spray tan with no tests no nothing they are more likely to go for cases like that rather than someone who sent out a patch test, and has a disclaimer. They could take me to court but it wont go far, also this is how the beauty school did it so sure it would be ok

Gosh Im really concerned about this now, at my training with the carlton institute they didnt cover patch testing at all- where do u place solution for a test? do you cover it after? how long should it be on? also as im mobile how is it possible to do this? as would mean having to go to the clients house twice in 2 days? Ive had over 15 different people spray tan me in Edinburgh both at the house and at a salon and never had a patch test done- saying that never filled out a client consultataion card at any of these apointments either (although I do them for my clients)

Just looked at the manual they gave me and its says a patch test is only required if client has had an allergic reaction to any tanning products before???

but its not your training company that will be held responsible though is it? It will be you, which is why its important you ask your insurance company.

we live a compensation culture and I have to disagree with what your training company said. However, it might be that the beauty schools own insurance advised them this and that might be why they are passing this information on, but you may not share the same insurance company. who knows , it certainly is not information I would give out at my beauty academy.

Your insurance company will guide you and set your mind at rest.

I know thats why Im so frustrated, I can't believe a trainer is giving out wrong information, at very least they should be telling us to check with our own insurers even if they themselves are covered not doing patch testing.

I will phone my insurer on monday, however just looked over my policy and has no notes about tanning other than to say I am insured if I have a qualification.

I'm going to call and check too, as I thought if they'd had a fakebake tan before I didn't have to patch test! The insurance companies will be inundated with calls on tanning tomorrow! Lol

The problem with patch testing for a tan is that even if a client has no reaction to the patch test they can still have a reaction to having a larger area done - an all over body tan.

Some people can handle the small amount you put on in a patch test but not the full body tan.

I was told to check for any previous reactions to similar products and if I feel it's needed to patch test the clients with previous reactions.

My insurance just states I'm covered to tan if I hold the certificate so I dont know their policy on patch testing and I will ring to see what they have to say but I honestly dont think they would expect a patch test for every tan as the test site would then be an issue at the time of the tan as you dont know how it would react to a second coat of tan (other than being much darker as it's had 2 aplications).

It also said that your skin reacts differently on your second tan as it's used to the tanning effect so it could react differently after the first tan anyway.

Just my opinion.

rapunzel

The client can pursue you if they have a reaction BUT provided you have done everything right and to the letter they wont get far.

tigi

Thanks :). Do you think it is still worth getting them to sign a statement as I do the skin test, then again on the day of treatment to say they have been tested and had no reaction? X

Latest posts

Back