Does anyone still bake

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gillian w

Reaction score
My mum is always baking, probably why my cholesterol is high.We regularly get given fruit cake,victoria sandwich,jam tarts,lemon meringue,etc etc and shes just given me all my christmas bits for the freezer,mince pies,sausage rolls,cheese straws plus always an old recipe christmas pud and cake.
I never bake and if i do occasionally make a pie i buy the pastry ..i actually dont know anyone that does do their own baking anymore..its quite sad.
What about you are you a baking geek.?

I bake rarely but when I do its usually scones (as we cant get them here - heathens!) or things without sugar.
I would bake more but husband cant eat carbs and I usually eat the lot myself
I also make sugar free truffles occasionally.

I bake every now and then. I can make heaps and it's usually gone within days. :lol:
I bake cakes and biscuits, also make chocolate fudge, but my speciality is pavlova.

I don't bake no...mainly because my baking 'stuff' is in the garage and I can't be bothered retrieving it...

but a few years back I got into it in a big way...I made a carrot cake one day...next minute I was doing stalls at craft fairs....

I would sell everything I made...I had people trying to buy stuff off me as I was loading the car!!!!

It was also a thrill when people would buy something then come back for more because they had eaten it there and then...

The only problem was I would be up until 5am baking so that the cakes etc would be as fresh as a daisy...and it got where I couldn't cope anymore...it was turning into a business rather than a hobby...

so hence the baking tins got thrown into the garage....and haven't seen the light of day since...:lol:

Yep I bake and I love it. Its usually about 12 midnight by the time I get round to doing anything mind! I make my own pastry aswell.
I have just finshed a big batch of Mince pies for my family and a few elderly neighbours, I think I made around 200 :eek:.

I only do this really as when I was young my Gran taught me how to bake, and she made some really scrummy things, so I have carried on doing it and have been now for about 10 years.

i do it every few weeks , coz james loves baking:green: , i used to do it with my mum when i was little , my mum made everything she was always baking something :lol:
have to say even though i hate the stuff i make a mean ass coffee cake !! , i do em for daves workmates :lol:

I *love* to bake! I make the most fantastic Gingerbread, Cup Cakes (yum!), breads etc. I have a recipie for some Salted Caramel Truffles but need to find Corn Syrup.

I bake!!! Made chocolate brownies with white chocolate inside other week, plus chocolate chip cookies & chocolate chip flapjacks!!! have a very sweet tooth in our house!!!! I love too when I get chance!! Thinking of making more brownies actually as they were so tasty got a bit addicted, they don't last very long thats the only problem!!! :lol:

I do but not that often, probably about once month. When the kids finish school next week we will make mince pies, Christmas cakes and sausage rolls ( and a big mess in the kitchen:)).

i do bake...like said before...not often though...when i am in the mood for it i am better than gorden ramsey!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!...my hubby the better cook than me.

If we celebrated xmas I would go made with the cooking and baking etc.
But we dont :cry::cry::cry:

Yep, I do my own baking. Crumbles and profiteroles are my speciality.

I'm a baking geek - I love it (hence the waistline!!)

I would have to say that Nigella Lawson's 'How to be a domestic goddess' is the best book ever!!

I bake and do meals all the time, I love to entertain, especially to Sunday lunch. I will sell my Yorkshire recipe to the highest bidder:green::green::green:

im known to make the odd celebration cake :lol:

i do bake tho, and make my own pastry..........im making mince pies for crimbo during the week.

for anyone that wants my recipe for my chocolate cake (and yes.......its do die for) -

here goes

this recipe is for a 7 inch round tin or 6 inch square tin

butter, softened 5 oz
caster sugar 8oz
eggs 2
self raising flour 2 oz
plain flour 4 oz
bicard of soda 3/4 tsp
cocoa powder 2oz
buttermilk (get it from tesco, they come in 225 ml i think) use all of it whatever the size) - trust me

baking time 1 hour - 1 hour 15 mins

method
preheat oven 180 degrees centigrade (350 F/gas 4)

grease tin and line

beat sugar and butter for 8 minutes or until light and fluffy (i do 8 mins|)
add eggs, one at a time, make sure you beat in well after each addition
fold in combined flours, cocoa and bicard (all sifted in one bowl together) alternately with the buttermilk

spoon into the tin
bake for stated time
timing is approx, you may need shorter or longer, depending on your oven - make sure you check with a skewer near the end of cooking time. once the skewer is clean, its done
leave the cake to cool in the tin for at least 5 mins before turning it onto a wire rack to completely cool

once cool cut in half and fill with chosen filling, and cover with chosen method

enjoy folks

for anyone that wants my recipe for my chocolate cake (and yes.......its do die for) - ill post it on here tomorra - if i remember - but give me a nudge to remind me.

I'll be nudgin' ya. Nothing better than a good chocolate cake. :green:

I'll be nudgin' ya. Nothing better than a good chocolate cake. :green:

added the recipe already hun :lol:

look at my post - i edited it:lol:

Hi , I bake and make apple crumble cherry crumble , Cornish pasties sometimes with semolina pastry , yorkshire parkin tray bakes, fatless sponge cakes with raspberry jam ,
home made rice puds with nutmeg and mixed spice on top ,
tea breads , lentil soup , pea whack , semolina and jam

manchester tart ,fairy cup cakes ,steak pud sponge pud mince pies

shortbread I would like to try a nice recipe for Rum Ba Ba's and one for potato cakes :hug: x

I bake, but I have to be in the mood. When I do, I really do heaps and fill the freezer. I mostly do cakes, biscuits & muffins.

I've got a bikkie recipe to share but be warned........................................ it is very high fat & you will not stop at one, .......................or ten.

This makes heaps & heaps.

5 cups S.R. Flour
500g butter/margarine
1 tin condensed milk
¾ - 1 c. sugar

Preheat oven 160-170C (fan forced) or 180 C.
Cream together butter and sugar.
Add condensed milk.
Stir in flour.
Roll spoonfuls into balls and place on baking tray and flatten.
Top with lollies, choc bits, nuts, sprinkles.
Bake approx 10-15 mins.

TIP: To halve recipe, replace tin of condensed milk with a tube.

Latest posts

Back