Does anyone use 18% 60 vol developer on hi-lift tints?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beachy Waves

Reaction score
I was told by the lady at our wholesalers that as I was now a qualified hairdresser that she could now sell me this to use on hi-Lift tints but on the side of the bottle it says it needs diluting to 40 vol before use!

I’m confused therefore about whether there’s any point in having this one.

My tutor at college told us a story about how she made her fringe fall off dying it so many times with 60 vol and that it wasn’t available anymore, then the lady in the wholesalers suggests I use it to get my hi-Lift tints brighter ‍♀️

What’s the right advice?

3d71d36198064554256f00cfc22524ea.jpg

Noooooooo, don’t do it! :oops:
Use it for cleaning or playing around with spare hair swatches, but don’t go near a client with it as you won’t be covered by insurance if it all goes wrong.

Some staff in wholesalers will tell you all sorts of rubbish. :mad:
They’ll also sell you generic brand developers saying they’re all the same ingredients but re-packaged, and it’s simply not true.
Fair enough, it might have been 10 -20 odd years ago! Things have moved on since then.

I overheard one staff member telling a youngster that if she added peroxide to a crazy colour (direct dye) it would make it permanent. Another staff member saw my shocked expression and rolled her eyes.

In the olden dayz (sic), it was not unusual to use a very high vol developer with bleach to lift darker levels more quickly....I had serious breakage after a mobile hairdresser did this to my hair when I was much younger and knew absolutely nothing about colouring hair. o_O

They also used to add a ‘sprinkle’ of bleach powder to tint to make it lighter. That was before highlift tints were invented.
A highlift tint is intended to lift higher and tone in one but the amount of colour pigment they contain just isn’t enough to neutralise the deeper yellow undertones if the hair hasn’t lifted to a 9 or higher. That’s why I tend not to use them on anyone lower than a 7, especially if they’re looking for an ashy shade.

Please watch this short video. Guy Tang demonstrates what happens when you use generic developers with pro brand tints.

[emoji52] oh dear! My wholesalers no longer even stock 60vol, to be honest i forgot it existed [emoji23]

Noooooooo, don’t do it! :oops:
Use it for cleaning or playing around with spare hair swatches, but don’t go near a client with it as you won’t be covered by insurance if it all goes wrong.

Some staff in wholesalers will tell you all sorts of rubbish. :mad:
They’ll also sell you generic brand developers saying they’re all the same ingredients but re-packaged, and it’s simply not true.
Fair enough, it might have been 10 -20 odd years ago! Things have moved on since then.

I overheard one staff member telling a youngster that if she added peroxide to a crazy colour (direct dye) it would make it permanent. Another staff member saw my shocked expression and rolled her eyes.

In the olden dayz (sic), it was not unusual to use a very high vol developer with bleach to lift darker levels more quickly....I had serious breakage after a mobile hairdresser did this to my hair when I was much younger and knew absolutely nothing about colouring hair. o_O

They also used to add a ‘sprinkle’ of bleach powder to tint to make it lighter. That was before highlift tints were invented.
A highlift tint is intended to lift higher and tone in one but the amount of colour pigment they contain just isn’t enough to neutralise the deeper yellow undertones if the hair hasn’t lifted to a 9 or higher. That’s why I tend not to use them on anyone lower than a 7, especially if they’re looking for an ashy shade.

Please watch this short video. Guy Tang demonstrates what happens when you use generic developers with pro brand tints.

Thanks- I found that video so interesting and had no idea that insurance companies may not even cover me for using it! Looks like I’ve dodged a bullet asking for advice on this one. Thanks people - you’re a great bunch x

Holy Moly! This developer should be on some sort of YouTube channel demonstrating how to make your client bald in two easy steps... :eek:
Honestly, you’ll have more than enough lift with a 30vol. I NEVER use above 40vol but even then, 30 is 99.98% enough lift, my 40vol is basically sitting gathering dust because I use on like 1 in 100 clients! :p

Latest posts

Back