Does anyone use both Shellac and Gelish?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beautyJen

Reaction score
As the title says? I use shellac, and love it! last ages on me and most of my clients love it. but i do have a few who just havent got the nails for it,and struggle to keep it on. so im considering getting gelish for those clients to use as my understanding is that it lasts longer being more of a gel polish. does anyone else do this, use both systems, if so have you found it has worked ok?
thanks x x

I plan doing this. I use gelish and will be using shellac too when I get the hang of it.

xx

I use both. The reason I invested in Gelish after I already had Shellac was my sister. She couldn't keep Shellac on her nails due to medicated creams she has to use. Gelish she can keep on longer, if not for the full 3 weeks.

I find a lot of clients veer towards Gelish now. I think they prefer the idea of a longer lasting colour and they like the colour choices. I explain and show that you can layer the Shellac to provide different colours however they still go towards Gelish.

Last week I had no Shellac clients, and the week before I just had one.

Do you have to have training in gels to use gelish? I love the colours they do and am currently using shellac as I'm manicure/pedicure trained but only do my own nails.

Do you use the same removal process for Gelish? I've heard it takes slightly longer than shellac as its more of a gel colour?

If I am able to use Gelish I'll definitely look into it more.

we offer gellux and shellac. some prefer one to the other and although the beauty therapist offers shellac and ive had a client move over to that, i have no concerns about losing business from one side to the other as i want the client to be happy. some prefer gellux.

I am the same I use Shellac and love it, but some of my clients just need a bit more. I am going to the show so I can properly see and select the Gelish colours. I have Gelish on now with shellac base and top coat and it's already been harder wearing, however I would never do this to a client crossing over brands. So will get a kit and offer both!

Me! I love the gelish structure gel, and I have a lot of clients who want to soak off their acrylics and start with the gel polish. Shellac (I find) is not strong enough to cope with the thin ex acrylic nail, so I use gelish with the structure gel until they have grown out. Works for my clients, and if I use it on strong natural nails I don't etch the nail plate. Still works just as well! It works for me as my clients have a choice in which system they want, once I have explained the pros and cons to both! :)

Last edited:
For information. You can also layer Gelish to get more colours. It does not take long to remove either. About the same as Shelac. Gelish also has a foundation base which (even though it does not say so) helps nails to grow much faster and stronger. I tried four different types of gel polishes, Shelac being one of them. I found all the others to be either wishy washy in colour or just did not stay on for the advertised period. I STRICTLY followed all application details and found that only Gelish did what it said. I actually do more Gelish now than acrylics. LOVE IT!!!

As the title says? I use shellac, and love it! last ages on me and most of my clients love it. but i do have a few who just havent got the nails for it,and struggle to keep it on. so im considering getting gelish for those clients to use as my understanding is that it lasts longer being more of a gel polish. does anyone else do this, use both systems, if so have you found it has worked ok?
thanks x x

Well speaking from experience I used to have gelish and shellac. However, I was never happy with gelish but I do love their colours. I actually felt that shellac was a stronger product than gelish and when it comes to soaking off I hated soaking off gelish. With shellac you just wrap and it comes off easy without no damage. With gelish you have to buff off the first layer then soak off. This never came off half as easy as shellac, and my nails used to look awful, with shellac they look as good as new. Like I said I love the gelish colours but prefer my nails in better condition and prefer an easier soak off experience. HTH. Ax

I offer both, and as said previous it offers that extra strength with structure gel for ex acrylics!
Gelish makes my clients nails grow so quickly and strengthens them as well!

I offer Shellac and Artistic Gloss (which is the same as Gelish), my clients love them both equally although I personally find ACG easier to use as it's not as thick as Shellac and flows better.

I use both systems. Personally I prefer Shellac but my clients seem to prefer Gelish. I do find that clients must have really good natural nails for Shellac to work as it's a "power polish", but for those clients who have previously worn acrylics or gels or who are more heavy handed, gelish is better as it is a gel polish. x

I use Shellac but have just bought in Gelish. Those of you who did the same, how did your clients react to having to have their nails buffed with Gelish? I am huuuuuuuuge on health of the natural nail, and not causing any damage to my clients nails. Have any of you tried applying Gelish minus buffing the natural nail? I know Harmony say to, but I would rather not. And as Bio Sculpture used to require buffing, then they took that step out - and it's fine - I thought it may be acceptable to do the same with Gelish. I am going to test it on myself first (haven't tried out the products yet) but do let me know if any of you have had any experiences with this!

I've been using Shellac since it came out. Due to limited colors of Shellac I just added Gelish to my inventory. So far it isn't going good. :sad: I've done everything to keep the darker colors of Gelish to not shrink or pull and nothing is working. Even after curing it seems to do it. I'm thinking I wasted my money, but I hope to figure it out, some how, some way. I've heard a lot on here say good things about Gelish, so it can't be all that bad.

I've been using Shellac since it came out. Due to limited colors of Shellac I just added Gelish to my inventory. So far it isn't going good. :sad: I've done everything to keep the darker colors of Gelish to not shrink or pull and nothing is working. Even after curing it seems to do it. I'm thinking I wasted my money, but I hope to figure it out, some how, some way. I've heard a lot on here say good things about Gelish, so it can't be all that bad.
Hi. Have you tried dry brushing after the foundation, that can help ?

Latest posts

Back