does anyone use latex gloves to perform a pedi??

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aliceellen1974

Reaction score
Hi there

As a qualified nail tech i have never used latex gloves to perform a pedi - i do the usual soak feel, file exfoliate etc.

anyway, i treated myself to a rather expensive pedi at a local salon a few weeks ago and was rather put off by the tech putting on these latex gloves, inspecting my feet (like i was at the chiropodist - i mean really OVER the top) and then she massaged my feet WITH THE GLOVES ON.... it felt really wierd and not very nice tbh.

Has anyone been advised to use latex gloves or does anyone else here?

thanks

I never use gloves and I would hate it if was having a pedi.

I don't use gloves....
But I did work with a gal years ago that did......she just told her clients that she did not want to ruin her own nails with all the polish remover and creams/lotions and stuff......I did not find it exceptionally weird.....
But thought it was a good idea....because she always had terrific looking nails......

When i was training there were lots of girls that wore gloves to do a pedicure. I always told them at the end of the day your Nail Technicians you knew before you trained there are nails on your hands and nails on your feet

I would be very upset if someone wore gloves to do my pedicure and treated me like my feet had got the lurge
I dont wear gloves I wouldnt want my clients thinking i thought they had mangy feet or something
I actually enjoy doing peds and do them on the bed rather than on a chair so the client can lie back and relax and listen to relaxing music

I don't wear them if i am doing a pedicure because i am washing their feet so they are clean anyway
but i do wear them if someone books in for toe nail art, it is amazing how many people come in for this and just kick off there shoes after wearing them at work all day and think it is acceptable to have dirty feet for us to work on :eek:

In the summertime when i have a lot of pedi treatment i use gloves, because my hands can´t stand the use of the exfoliater alle day long, and realy i have asked the clients, and the say that they can´t feel any difference wheater i am wearing gloves ore not....

I Wear Gloves Up Untill Ive Exfoliated ,after Then I Remove Them,i Definatly Wouldnt Do A Massage With Em On !!

For years, I did pedicures without gloves. Then, my eczema came back. I didn't have one complaint or question.
Also, after doing so many, my hands had the scent of all of the products on my hands.
Hey, when I ex foliate with them on, I find I use less product.

kathleen
My Nails Rock!

It wasnt a requirement of my qualification when I was doing my training a few years ago, but there were some girls that also did the pedicure training but not part of the full time course and it was stipulated in their VTCT assessment book that they must wear gloves for the pedi to pass their assessment. but for those of us that did the full time VTCT unit it wasnt even mentioned!

Talk about double standards!

thanks for your replies!

No she didnt have fab nails to take care of and certainly no polish on nor any eczema or anything i could see - guess it was her preference but NOT mine so i wont be going back!

i think wearing gloves makes the client feel as if they are dirty

Hi!
Here in Finland and in Sweden gloves are a must! I don´t know anyone that doesn´t use gloves during a pedicure!
I certainly wouldn´t dream of it! Many of my clients have warts and fungus andI don´t want to catch that!

I have never had a client feel "dirty".
They have always felt at ease with the fact that I wear them. They seem to understand.

kathleen
My Nails Rock!

I always wear vinyl gloves for pedi's or any other treatment involving feet. If I got any sort of infection on my hands, then I would be risking being unable to work for a while and also my other clients. None of my clients mind and all say that they would use gloves if they were in the same work. I also put a sheet of couch roll in to my UV lamp if they are having gel on their toes. I just think it is better to be safe. I have'nt gone as far as a mask for the pedi's yet though, although sometimes I have really wanted to! :eek:.

Hi!
Here in Finland and in Sweden gloves are a must! I don´t know anyone that doesn´t use gloves during a pedicure!
I certainly wouldn´t dream of it! Many of my clients have warts and fungus andI don´t want to catch that!
:eek:

I never used to wear gloves, but I sure do now!!! The things that I have seen, I sure would not want to catch anything!!
The people I do are very understanding and really do expect for you to put gloves on.
I also do alot of elderly people who are unable to care for their own feet, so you can just imagine what their feet look like!!

Sincerely;
Janet

hiiii im new to this site :D
i qualified at nvq 2 beauty therapy and nvq 3 nail services last year...
i had a real phobia of touching feet before i started my college couse!!! i jokingly suggested to one of my tutors that i would like to wear latex gloves whilst doing pedicures...obviously i didnt mean it though lol
she said that usually, salons dont use gloves, and they didnt use them at my college either. so in answer to your question, i think it is a bit weird that they used latex gloves. ive never known it....

Hi!

in england when ur training, ur taught to identify any contra indications during consultation, so warts and fungus...you should not treat the client?

.x.

I live in Wanganui, New Zealand and I no that some of the beauty shops here were gloves during pedis :)

Esquisite Touch,

How do you do pedi's on the bed? I've thought of doing them that way too, having them soak in my chair and then moving them over to the bed for the massage and polish.

How do you do this?

Thanks!

Esquisite Touch,

How do you do pedi's on the bed? I've thought of doing them that way too, having them soak in my chair and then moving them over to the bed for the massage and polish.

How do you do this?

Thanks!
I do the whole thing on the bed, including the soak. I find it's easier for them if the top of the bed is slightly raised so they aren't laying flat.

Latest posts

Back