Does baby lotion strip a spray tan?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

atlanta

Reaction score
Hi all
Had a client tell me that her tan only lasted 3 days. She showered to wash bronzer off next morning then showered 2 days later. She had been having a stand up wash between to save tan. She's used johnsons baby lotion the pink one as moisturiser.
Could it be this that's stripped her tan.
I've always advised clients not to use oil based products as it can strip tan and another client said hers had changed colour and gone streaky after a week she had been using soap and glory but that had oils in. Can anyone offer advice please or point me in the right direction do I can further research what can affect the tans as obviously I want to protect my business and reputation xx
Thank you xx

Nouvatan toning after tan moisturise is fab

Thanks for your reply cloughers. I'm wanting info on what not to use after spray tan tho so I can tell them to avoid using xx

There is a thread on here that gives loads of advice on aftercare, not sure where it is, but I think it's a sticky. There's also a book called Walking on Sunshine which is really informative xx

thank you tjmadmum I have been looking through threads but will try and find the sticky and the book is it under beauty sections please xx

I presume you have checked that your customer did all the right things before having the tan ( exfoliate the day before, dont use oil based moisturiser or soap before etc ) as it sounds more a problem of pre tan than afterwards with her baby oil.

Hi Jay_g
I always advise to exfoliate at least 24 hours before and then moisturise but don't apply creams of any sort on day of tan. It's first one I've had come back with this and I've done over 700 tans now so It's puzzling me will ask her what she uses to shower and exfoliate with etc thanks for this suggestion xx

Baby oil then a hot soak is the best thing to remove tan so maybe it was the baby lotion? Any products containing lanolin or mineral oils will strip the tan also

HI Atlanta,
This is more likely to be a products your client is using before the tan although the products she is using after the tan will speed up its loss anyway.
Give her advice on how to prep thoroughly and advise her of the products to use PRIOR to the tan. Its so important the correct products are used during the week before the tan as well as afterwards and she doesnt wait until the day before to prep - its an daily job during the few days before the tan. On the day of tan no products should be placed on skin and no exfoliation. The last exfoliation should be the day before the tan due to the way tan development process. Don't leave exfoliation until just the day before only - this should be carried out 3/4 times in the run up to a tan whilst using the products you advise, otherwise the build up of no no products wont break down and will still cause a barrier.
Anyway could waffle on but after giving all the correct advise,offer to tan her again confidently saying IF she has followed the golden rules there is no reason why tan should fade. (no discount offered its not your fault)!
Tight clothing too after the tan is a nightmare, must be baggy minimum for the development time.
You know the rules on medication/clients wth oily skin etc, so as long as nothing else effects the tan it should be fine! x

Thanks for your reply Staceystandeven

and Fabtans would you mind if I pm you. I want to be the best that I can and find out everything I can do. would like to go over a few things with you if you don't mind x

Fabtans I've private messaged you x

thank you tjmadmum I have been looking through threads but will try and find the sticky and the book is it under beauty sections please xx

I bought the book from Suntana, they have a website. It really is worth buying, it's one of my bibles x

Thanks tjmadmum I'll get one bought x

Iv had two clients that say they use baby lotion to take there tan off so quite possibly it could do. Also my friend used Johnsons baby wipes and they tan just came right off!

Thanks beautybyselina
It's a shame that you don't get a list of ingredients to avoid for tanning aftercare. Going to buy the book and hopefully I'll get a more in depth knowledge but live this site as you can get all the info you need x

When I did my training I was told to tell clients to use a oil free moisturiser as the tan will wear off quicker than not using a non oil moisturiser hth :) v annoying for that to happen

I retail sienna x pre and post care products, they are very good and sell very well! So good for client and your pocket :)

Hi Airey Fairy
yes I was also told to tell clients to use an non oil moisturiser but it seems theres many other ingredients that can harm tan x

It's annoying that we are not told at the time of training as let's face it training isn't cheap :( such a shame

Latest posts

Back