Does continual use of nail polish damage your nails ?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Decadence

Reaction score
Hi guys, had a strange thing happen at college last night.

I was busy doing a paying client last night "shellac" when the head of beauty walks in and starts chatting with my client, obvously she knows her, and they were talking about the summer holiday and not being able to get her nails done, when the head of beauty turned round and said something along the lines of " well continual use of nail polish is no good for your nails anyway, and the rest will do them good"!!

I felt like turning round and saying that curing shellac for 2 mins using a non cnd lamp is no good fro the nails, but I thought better of it :irked:

So question is does continual use of shellac or polish affect nails in anyway?

I have a lot of clients that used to think polish was bad for your nails because it turned them yellow. They thought that it meant the nails weren't getting enough 'air' or 'light'.

Once you explain to them that not using a base coat means the pigments in the polish stain the natural nail, they finally seem to get it! Many people have been using Shellac since it was launched 2 years ago, not to mention it was thoroughly tested before it was brought onto the market. It is very safe and does not damage nails.

xx

No enhancement coating (polish included) damages the natural nail (if used properly and professionally)

I have known techs to wear l&p for 20+ years continuously. And underneath it... Perfect nails

This is a ludicrous statement from a tutor..

A better question would be
"why would dead keratin cells need to rest? They're dead?"
They would in fact be better off protected from dehydration and external daage with a protective coating ...

Hths

Last edited:
Hi guys, had a strange thing happen at college last night.

I was busy doing a paying client last night "shellac" when the head of beauty walks in and starts chatting with my client, obvously she knows her, and they were talking about the summer holiday and not being able to get her nails done, when the head of beauty turned round and said something along the lines of " well continual use of nail polish is no good for your nails anyway, and the rest will do them good"!!

I felt like turning round and saying that curing shellac for 2 mins using a non cnd lamp is no good fro the nails, but I thought better of it :irked:

So question is does continual use of shellac or polish affect nails in anyway?
wow and this lady is an educator...:eek:

no, it's generally the clients that pick the polish/shellac/enhancements off that damage the nail and require "rest" so they don't damage them further...but if applied correctly and proper aftercare is followed there is not need to take a break from wearing anything on nails. It's a disgrace that your educator would be perpetuating this myth!

Latest posts

Back