Does everyone hold a gel polish qualification?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

claireyfairy

Reaction score
Hi I'm having a complete nightmare! I am qualified in gel extensions (although I don't do them) and manicure and pedicure but never did a gel polish/shellac course as back when I started you didn't need to to buy or obtain insurance. Anyway I don't know what made me ask but just thought I would check with my insurers to check I am covered and they have said I do need a gel polish cert so that means I am treating clients and not insured!! Is everyone's insurance the same? I have recently swapped insurers because of similar problems. Why do these companies not make their requirements clear??!

Insurance is a red tape nightmare. We won't supply unless said nail pro has a certificate and even then we ALWAYS recommend Conversion for our product if they have not trained in it - but baring in mind FleaBay etc - anyone can be a nail tek - anyone can be a hairdresser - no qualifications at all - so who knows who is out there doing what! I suspect a lot of poor non-pros - the great thing is - we also know there are 90,000 plus trained nail professionals - I can also tell you tht doing the conversion is a lot of fun - less than one day (as you are trained) and would be a great welcome certificate for your wall. :)

Right now our 0845 number is being swapped to the new 03 so if you need any help we can be reached on the normal Leeds number 0113 217 3800. Love & Respect

Thank you Mrs geek, they are now saying if I hold a gel extensions certificate then it is fine, phew! I have always intended to do the shellac class just never quite made it! But also on that note I Now also use gelish and ibd so I assume even if I did the shellac class I would then need to do the gelish or generic gel polish course as well (if I didn't hold the gel certificate) insurance is a nightmare!! Ps. To clarify I buy my shellac from sweet squared/ellisons what actual qualification do you need to purchase. Mani? Shellac? Extensions? Thank you again for your help x

Omg I'm now going insane! They have now said unless the procedure is exactly the same with gel polish and extensions that I am not covered?? Seeing as I have clients booked in what am I supposed to do? Sorry for rant but insurance is ridiculous surely if I can buy shellac without a certificate in it then I should be insured in it [emoji22] x

Are all insurance companies the same you need a certificate?? X

before I answer anything else - contact The Guild of Beauty Therapists - they are very good with this and will be able to REALLY HELP you!!! Google it - have to run into a meeting :)

Will do thank you [emoji3] x

I could purchase the products after I'd done my manicure qualification but needed to do a shellac/gel course to get insurance. Insurers told me they would only insure me for exactly what was stated on my certificates.

I'm soooo stressed now!! When I started with shellac (around 2009) you only needed manicure certificate for insurance and I've never thought to check since, don't even think a generic gel polish course existed then[emoji30] X

I'm soooo stressed now!! When I started with shellac (around 2009) you only needed manicure certificate for insurance and I've never thought to check since, don't even think a generic gel polish course existed then[emoji30] X
claireyfairy chill!! :) the facts are - you HAVE been doing the treatments. Do a class - get covered - all good. I would hazard a guess that half the country performing beauty treatments are NOT insured properly - the fact that you care and are concerned is only a positive thing and a good reflection on you. But now you know what you need to do!! L&R

I did my shellac course with CND, very good value

I did my shellac course with CND, very good value
Thank you Blossom - we are also the only people in the UK & ROI that can give certified CND certificates!! FYI.

How about skill building? It may be that your insurance will cover manicures, gel polish and CND Shellac. But how about doing the course just to add to your skills. The CND course is indepth and I am sure that even though you are a trained nail tech, you will still learn something by doing it.

If I'm honest I'm just annoyed that insurance companies are quick to take your money but we have to do all the question asking to cover ourselves, I'm also annoyed that I have been putting myself at risk for all those years and I now have to decide whether to continue working uninsured or cancel clients until I've done the course and also it's just more money to pay out [emoji22] I also was interested to see how many of us are working uninsured without knowing?? Anyway needed to get that all of my chest! Lol thanks for advice X

Oh and still confused if I use three different products do I need to do three training courses if my certificate only states shellac for example X

You might well find you need a certificate for nail art and ibx too....

Ive just completed my training and certification in IBX through Louella belle at Olympia. Linda Nordstrom was the trainer, the founder. Contact Louella Belle for more info x

Definitely do the CND courses, you'll never look back! ;)

I've been to the gateway workshops for many different courses hair extensions, gel nails, waxing, spray tanning, acrylic nails, lash lift and tint, brows etc etc and have gained a great deal of knowledge from them and came away feeling confident with all the treatments I had learnt. They are one day courses pricing is not bad either your receive a diploma at the end. I recommend them highly. The tutors are very very helpful and friendly, groups are a max of 6 so you get plenty of attention each and practise.

Latest posts

Back