Does hair have to be dry when toning with creme colors and wet hair with liquids?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MVStylist

Reaction score
So I've been told Redken Gels/Shades are great to tone hair when it's wet (after you've washed out bleach). Reason being is Redken is in a liquid form. What about toning wet hair with creme colors? I currently use Wella. Does hair have to be dry when toning with creme colors and wet hair with liquids?

I tone with towel dried hair at the basin kp or ct

Ideal is when towel dried/damp to weaken the toning as h20 acts as a filler so your toner doesn't over grab for all toners cream/gel whatever.Toning on dry hair is a strong toner as the hair will grab the color more deeply so its good if your trying to maximize your toner tone or when doing fashion colors.

It doesn't really matter whether the colour is in liquid, gel or creme form - it just provides a different texture for the product. For example creme colours were developed to prevent dripping/ cleaner application, and also tubes of creme will not oxidize as quick as half opened bottles of liquid colour.

On pre-lightened hair application may be easier on damp hair, although you may get more longevity on dry hair.

Regardless of product type.
Dry application - product grabs.
Damp application - product is diluted and is easier to emulsify

I use cream colour on towel dried hair too, if I am not dealing with massive colour correction.

Latest posts

Back