Does my hair need protein or moisture?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
PS just had an extra thought for what it's worth. The MO glimmer shine finishing spray is the only thing in her regime that seems to have changed. Just read some reviews online about it and several said that the shine was very temporary and that it gave them very dry ends if they used it consistently. I know she has been using it a lot because of the dusty atmosphere she is working in, she uses it as a pick me up if she is rushing somewhere straight from work. Maybe it is drying it out and actually creating a problem?! She is coming in in a couple of days and hate to send her off with such brittle hair and no hope of improvement.

Can you check the ingredients list for the MO spray and see whether it contains protein and/or silicones?

Hi, It contains silicones, cyclomethicone and dimethicone. This gave me a eureka moment, as I thought she might be overusing it and it is building up on her hair. However, further research shows me that MO itself has the same silicones (how did I not know this?!) Since she has used MO long term to good effect (so have I for that matter) I can't explain why only the glimmer shine would cause the problem. But I can't help feeling that it is, given that this is the only change in her routine and she is using it a lot.
Also, we were taught at college that sulfate shampoos are the only thing will remove silicone build up. But MO shampoo is sulfate free, so does that mean that an MO routine is inevitably causing build up? My hair has always loved the plain oil.
Do you think people realise how much detective work is involved in being a hairdresser??

I suggest you try some natural moisturizers.

Just gonna jump on this post.

How do you know if hair needs moisture or protein? As in what tests?

Stretch damp hair, if it stretches and snaps it needs moisture. If it over stretches and doesn't return what does it need then?

I can't find these tests anywhere under the search facility?

I've always had a problem with this. I never know lol (not a qualified hairdresser though) and when I go my hairdresser usually just says my hair is fine but it seems brittle on ends like really easy snaps off, don't blow dry it or straighten it. I just don't know lol x

If that's you in the pic it's over bleached on the ends and that's why it's breaking.

If that's you in the pic it's over bleached on the ends and that's why it's breaking.

It is me, I'm now not this colour, but it was making it really noticeably bad condition. That was around 1 year ago and had it changed since then with cuts inbetween, I love being blonde though lol x

It is me, I'm now not this colour, but it was making it really noticeably bad condition. That was around 1 year ago and had it changed since then with cuts inbetween, I love being blonde though lol x

Unless you shaved it all off then the over bleached hair is still there!

Unless you shaved it all off then the over bleached hair is still there!

I can tell where the hair has been bleached and my own as it's different texture and it's taken easier the other colour as its my own hair (around my ears) but having another cut this Friday as its just weak. I can't not be blonde as I have grey hairs and only 25 -_- any suggestions ?

I can tell where the hair has been bleached and my own as it's different texture and it's taken easier the other colour as its my own hair (around my ears) but having another cut this Friday as its just weak. I can't not be blonde as I have grey hairs and only 25 -_- any suggestions ?

You can have healthy blonde hair i think you're worrying too much[emoji5]️ you'll get there with regular cuts, olaplex, and using heat protection spray every time you style.

You can have healthy blonde hair i think you're worrying too much[emoji5]️ you'll get there with regular cuts, olaplex, and using heat protection spray every time you style.

Thanks ☺️ Aha I am known to be a worrier lol I do always have a decent amount off as I just think it feels that bit better. I'm not sure what olaplex is, do I ask my hairdresser if she uses it ?
I use the unique one spray heat protection and bed head urban antidotes red bottles for shampoo conditioner and then coconut oil or argan oil.

It is just so hard to tell if it's protein needed and if it's not then I could overload it -_- x

Thanks [emoji5]️ Aha I am known to be a worrier lol I do always have a decent amount off as I just think it feels that bit better. I'm not sure what olaplex is, do I ask my hairdresser if she uses it ?
I use the unique one spray heat protection and bed head urban antidotes red bottles for shampoo conditioner and then coconut oil or argan oil.

It is just so hard to tell if it's protein needed and if it's not then I could overload it -_- x

Lay off the coconut oil, its a natural protein.

Olaplex is a revolutionary product that literally repairs the building blocks of the hair essentially (in layman's terms). Ask, but you should know as there'll be signs all over the salon and advertisements that they use olaplex.

If your hairdresser doesn't use i'd find a salon that does. It'll take a few stand alone treatments before you see a massive difference but it'll all be going on inside the hair.

Lay off the coconut oil, its a natural protein.

Olaplex is a revolutionary product that literally repairs the building blocks of the hair essentially (in layman's terms). Ask, but you should know as there'll be signs all over the salon and advertisements that they use olaplex.

If your hairdresser doesn't use i'd find a salon that does. It'll take a few stand alone treatments before you see a massive difference but it'll all be going on inside the hair.

I have been using coconut oil a while now xD I'll stick to me argan oil for a while lol
Sounds really good, I'll need to ask them and seeing as though I'm a blonde junkie and a regular should listen. You know your stuff Cams :D

Latest posts

Back