Does Nail Harmony test on animals?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just personally can't justify using a product that is tested on animals. Cosmetics are something we don't NEED, unlike medication, so if there is an alternative method of testing (which the likes of CND and Nubar, Louella Belle seem to manage!) then I would rather go with them if I have the choice.
I believe my clients would prefer this also :)

Thanks for all the replies guys! I think I am going to just use up what I have left and then not order Gelish again. I have recently started offering Shellac alongside Gelish, so I think I will concentrate on this and maybe Gelicure too.
Such a shame as it is a great product :(

I don't want to start a row at all, but am slightly confused. If you feel so strongly about the products not being tested on animals, and Harmony do - then why are you happy to use up the product you have left?

Whilst I respect everyone own personal opinions, I do wonder if you are just annoyed about this one product or are totally against buying anything that's tested on animals! I mean the list is endlesall rands x y or z all companies which test on animals and the list is much, much longer on PETA website! To me, these brands are all everyday brands that I have used and still used! I personally wouldn't change my foundation from mac because I love their foundation and it works for me! At some point at least 1 ingredient in whatever product has been tested at some point in time! Even the organic stuff, because at the end of the day they still need to know that it's safe for human use! I am not pro animal testing, and if I was to see for myself what happens to the poor things I would probably be horrified, but how would we test products are safe? Is there really another way aside from testing on humans?

Edit: removed the brand names as just realised its a bit like naming and shaming!

Last edited:
At some point at least 1 ingredient in whatever product has been tested at some point in time! Even the organic stuff,

That really is the point. You can all kid yourselves that brand x or y does not support animal testing. However, every chemical based product will have had all of its individual ingredients tested on animals at some point.

I think considering all the chemicals we use in our industry it would be very difficult for any nail tech to only use products that have not be tested on animals.

I am totally against unnecessary and duplicate testing of chemicals on animals.

Apparently animal testing has to be done on products sold in China?? If this is true, then I am sure companies who say they are cruelty free get round it by providing data from other companies' animal testing of the ingredients. Either way, testing has been done at some point.

Saying you will not buy more of a particular product now you think they did animal testing but you will continue to use what you've got, is a bit like a vegetarian accidentally taking a bite into a chicken pie but deciding to finish it anyway. Either you have strong principles or not :biggrin:

I fully accept ingredients have been tested in animals. I just don't think new products need to be.

And this is an issue that is driven, like double dipping in my waxing, by my clients. They like that I have researched this issue and can say the products I am using are not tested on animals.

Mat

questions to ask a distributor are:-
do you test xxxxx as a whole product on animals
do you test individual ingredients in xxxxx on animals
do you get other companies to test xxxxx for you
that would cover all the ins and outs of animal testing as companies can be crafty by answering no we dont test xxxxx on animals which means the product as an end product isnt but one of the ingredients may of been or other companies do the testing for them.
as for nail harmony being honest in disclosing their use of animal testing they have ignored numerous requests from geeks on their facebook page when asked the question and one geek has had a bit of a nasty run in with the company when bringing up this subject.

Can't understand why geeks are asking the question on their Facebook page when it clearly states in black and white on their msds that they do test - on mice in particular!

I fully accept ingredients have been tested in animals. I just don't think new products need to be.
Exactly! There is no longer any need for ingredients or beauty products to be tested on animals.

OK they might have been tested in the past. But that is the past and we cannot change it. It doesn't mean that companies who don't animal test are lying or misleading you about not supporting animal testing - it means they've moved on from outdated and unecessary testing methods.

We can make choices to pick products from companies that don't support something so unecessarily cruel.

I don't want to start a row at all, but am slightly confused. If you feel so strongly about the products not being tested on animals, and Harmony do - then why are you happy to use up the product you have left?

It was mainly due to money and not having a way of replacing all the stock and having nothing to use on people...But I have managed to sell all my gelish now and am going to restock at Olympia! :D

I'm presuming non of u own leather bags, boots or a sofa then??

Don't really want to get into this but your post isn't really relevant. Animals are humanely destroyed to make these items. Not quite the same as testing on live animals.

Don't really want to get into this but your post isn't really relevant. Animals are humanely destroyed to make these items. Not quite the same as testing on live animals.

I can see the point that MissLB is making though (although I also understand yours) Animals are still killed (often leaving behind young who then have no means of being fed and often die as a result) in order to supply humans with beautiful things... i.e leather goods. To be honest, it's a huge debate! X

I don't support Animal Testing for cosmetic products, I'm not Vegan. The thought of that scares me ... I love my boots far too much to become vegan!

I appreciate what everyone is saying im just trying to get people to see the other side of the coin too, bags shoes and sofas are made for a pleasurable reason. and i do find it annoying how some people are getting quite ancy about animal testing but then forget fashion items the animals are actually killed for.

I dont like the idea of animal testing at all, but as mentioned the chemicals in these products have been around for years they will have been tested on animals at some point in the past.

Completely agree its a huge debate.

I hold my hands up and am ready for the mob lynching!! :wink2:

I am vegan and no I don't buy leather items. Or wool or silk for that matter. But that is my choice, I don't expect anyone else to live by that if they're not vegan, but I do get your point.

The whole 'all ingredients have been tested at one point' argument is moot. Because there's nothing that can be done about that, the past is the past and it is really a cop-out response by companies that are being called out on something. They no longer HAVE to animal test; they CHOOSE to. And we can choose to support companies that no longer test - they are out there.

At the end of the day it all comes down to personal choice and making an informed decision for yourself. When you walk into Boots to buy a mascara do you buy one from a company that still animal tests or one that doesn't? Obviously it doesn't matter to the vast majority of the buying public as brands like L'Oreal and Rimmell are still multi-million pound companies.

If it doesn't bother you or you don't want to know either way, then that is your choice. No judgement, everyone has do make the decisions that they are comfortable with.

It's interesting, I spoke to the NH Educator Chantal on Monday about this & she categorically stated that there was NO animal tested with Gelish.

It's interesting, I spoke to the NH Educator Chantal on Monday about this & she categorically stated that there was NO animal tested with Gelish.

Seriously? In that case I suggest you point them to the MSDS sheets on *their* website that clearly say the polish is painted onto mice.

I too was told this when I asked years ago, I am annoyed to now find out they do.

It seems that if people dont know they just say what you want to keep you happy, this is totally wrong!!!!!!

And most of them for food and then use all the rest of the animal for other things like leather. Not the same as squirting beauty products in live animals eyes!!!!

I am not a vegan or vegetearian but I do not agree with testing beauty products on animals and do not like being told that a company doesn't only to find out that they do!!!

Seriously? In that case I suggest you point them to the MSDS sheets on *their* website that clearly say the polish is painted onto mice.

I did. And was still told that certain chemicals through history have been tested on animals. Which at some point ALL pharmaceutical products have been tested. But when I questioned further re; msds sheet I was laughed at, told its rubbish.

Don't shoot me! I blatantly asked in front of the group.... This was the answer given by the educator. I love Gelish, but am against testing on any animals of any current products, as HISTORICALLY most of the chemicals, if not all, components have already been tested. The issue is these companies WON'T share their findings as it costs millions to research and they don't want other companies to know their mixture of ingredients!! It's all about money.....

*I am not a vegetarian or a vegan & I do wear leather shoes & eat meat*

Latest posts

Back