Does Nail Harmony test on animals?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My sister has recently turned vegetarian, she is now thinking of going vegan. At first it annoyed me as she posted photo's of animal testing, and giving me sermons on how my chicken was killed as I sit down to my Sunday lunch. I choose not to take any notice of her as for me it all comes down to money the choice is taken out of my hands. Her life is very expensive. I have invested in products that do animal test. Quite naively I bought it for what the product promised. It lives up to it's promise. I don't know if it does because of animal testing or if it's just a great product. But I am not going to bad mouth it or stop using it. I have to do what I have to do to survive and feed my kids simple!
The more research, books, nail magazines, spending more time with my sister and her friends, I am realizing that certain products are marketed towards veggie's/vegan and non-animal testing. This is a different type of client that I can hopefully start to market and I am now starting to take an interest in. I have read the thread everybody has a point of view. It's all a learning curve.xx

Found this on Facebook today and hope it puts people's mind at ease about nail harmony not testing on animals xx

Attachments

• ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1357663432.999458.jpg
    ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1357663432.999458.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 141
I also saw that on FB today, but it goes against the safety sheet that is still available on NH website, so I don't really understand the facebook post.

Is it me that has this wrong?

On there MSDS it says they tested on rats and mice, unless they've stopped?

Exactly. Why does it say that on the msds if its not true? Not good enough.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using SalonGeek

I've commented on the image asking about that.

Goes to say something when it has taken them this long to get documentation provided. Also the fact they don't test on animals not out of moral beliefs - but just because European law requires it.

Also the fact they don't test on animals not out of moral beliefs - but just because European law requires it.
Yeah not nice.

Every individual ingredient in all nail,products has been tested on animals at some point. That is how it gets approved as a cosmetic ingredient. It's just the finished product that isn't.

Every individual ingredient in all nail,products has been tested on animals at some point. That is how it gets approved as a cosmetic ingredient. It's just the finished product that isn't.

As has been said many times before, that is irrelevant. It's about whether or not they still test and their 2010 msds says they do.

I can see how you feel strongly about this, but, I don't see how singling out nail harmony is helping when clearly NONE of the gels etc would have been around if it were not for animal testing. Many would have been adapted from paint and varnish etc Anything for human use has to be safe for the purpose, companies get around it by using a list of ingredients previously tested.

Dog food is tested more rigorously than meat for human consumption just in case someone eats it!

Make an informed choice that feels right for you and your salon but I really think a client wanting gel or even a polish on her nails and all the products that go along with that...acetone, perfumes etc not to mention detergents in towels and bleaching agents in cotton wool, glues.......would be that worried? Yes painting a mouse is unnecessary and cruel. Do you tint? Wax? Tan? Lashes?

I think a completely cruelty free beauty industry is a long way off...not very many PETA bunnies in any salon I've seen.

I purely asked because I used to use Gelish and was upset to think that they tested. I stopped using it for this reason. I always use products that are not tested and check with the company beforehand. In this day and age, there is no valid reason that they need to.

In regards to the dog food and other things you mentioned.... I am vegetarian, never wear leather, and my dogs eat Burns (which is not tested and I believe is on PETA's list)
You can easily live a cruelty free life, but it just takes a bit more forward planning :)

As has been said many times before, that is irrelevant. It's about whether or not they still test and their 2010 msds says they do.

Now, why is that irrelevant?

Now, why is that irrelevant?

I think she meant irrelevant as everything used to be tested in the past at some point before it became widely unacceptable.
It is more the reason why they are still doing it today when there is no need :)

Hi all, I've not managed to read all the pages on this thread sorry!
But what I can say is that the new MSDS will be uploaded onto our website tomorrow. I hope you understand our position here in the UK, we do have to wait for answers sometimes as the suppliers are extremely busy. This time I asked for details and was sent the document posted here within 24hrs so that was lucky!
Anyway, if it were down to me, I too would not test on animals, but it isn't. Fortunately this is no longer done so I am happy, I hope you guys are too.

Much love

Georgie xx

I think she meant irrelevant as everything used to be tested in the past at some point before it became widely unacceptable.
It is more the reason why they are still doing it today when there is no need :)

Exactly what I meant.

Thank you for clarifying that. Maybe if gelish isn't tested anymore, they could be listed on PETA's list or similar so people were aware of it? I'm sure it would encourage people to use it, who before might not have :)

This was a very interesting read.

I also do not like the way Nail Harmony have been singled out. But maybe im just been protective of my preferred brand.

While I agree that animal testing is cruel, as said above you would need to use extreme measures to avoid it. For example...

I watched a program on BBC3 before about the way animals are killed for certain types of clothing, boots etc. Sheep to be precise. And something very interesting was brought up... How many of you use vaseline, lip balms, moisturisers? In most of these products you will find the ingredient 'Lanolin' It is actually in almost everything. Lanolin is a product which comes from an animals wool.
Now Lanolin can be obtained without cruelty but most of the time it is not. Many places use very inhumane ways of killing their animals for their wool meaning they are also inhumanely killed for Lanolin.

So yes while actual animal testing is horrific, animals that are killed for products can be left to die in the most disgusting ways.

Also how do you know these companies do not use animal testing? Has it actually been proven? I understand that some companys use the PETA bunny which is a form of proof but what about the ones that do not?
Its all very well them issuing a statement that states they dont use animal testing but how do you know for sure?

I am ready for the tirade of angry opinions but please bare in mind the above is just my opinion x

Reputable companies do not make untrue statements that can be dis-proven and their reputation left in tatters. It would be a crazy move and on such a high profile topic.

I'm interested by the fact no other popular company ...naming no names... has jumped into this thread in a 'use us, we don't test' manner? Many other product info threads normally sees a rep or spokesperson for a rival brand jump in.

Might be early days on search engines etc...or could it be as I suspect, most are 'economical' with their facts and maybe not as honest or naive as NH in disclosing info?

I don't believe one single nail product has been cleared for use without being tested somewhere, and every new colour will be tested again. Only a blatant copy of an existing product wouldn't need continual testing and remember European and US laws are completely different. A UK company rebranding something bought in from the US or China will happily say we don't test, cause they know the 'big boys' had to do it for them.

Latest posts

Back