Does pre softening really work?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ellishairbeauty

Reaction score
I have always been taught to pre soften stubbourn white hairs. Apply liquid peroxide, appply heat for 10 mins, apply colour.

I understand it is a process of lifting the cuticle layer in order for a deeper/faster penetration of the tint.

My lady come yesterday she has the most corse white hair, i usually pre soften, well i forgot, whoops, but it took like it normally would? perfect 100% coverage? I then tried it again on another of my stubbourn white haired lady this morning and it did take perfect. Am i wasting my time pre softening?

Whats your views?
TIA

Kind Regards, Ellis :)

At the moment I dont have any clients that I presoften. But I find cool cover good for the ones with stubbon white.

I was always taught that pre softening is old fashioned. However I use Goldwell topchic, which have a different ratio we measure for stubborn grey/white which works fantastic

Pre softening should only ever be used as a last resort i feel, usually people aren't applying enough product and taking too thick a section so they aren't getting the coverage. When all else has failed, presoften.

I would only pre soften if I knew clients hair was stubborn previously

I was always taught that pre softening is old fashioned. However I use Goldwell topchic, which have a different ratio we measure for stubborn grey/white which works fantastic

What ratio? As in more tint then peroxide then usual? If so, you're doing it wrong- they don't recommend that and you can cause serious burns if someone reacts!

If you're talking about the ratio between N shade and fashion shade, then most colour houses have certain ratios for different %'s of grey in relation to the amount of base you add to your mixture.

I personally find out of all the colour houses I've used the most reliable grey coverage ever was goldwell!! Never ever had to pre-soften and the salon I use to be at which used goldwell was a much older clientele, so if we ever were going to have to do it, it would have been done!

I never presoft either. Whith my stubborn haired clients I use just a good amount of dye and really lay it on and let it sit for 35 minutes minimum. In L'oréal I like use ,0 shades which are for extra coverage but mix in 5g of 5,5 to get a chocolate hue :)

We were always given more colour than peroxide ratio i.e 25ml peroxide 40ml colour. This was taught by Goldwell colourists themselves that came to salons for our colour refresher days

To pre-soften is quite an 'old' method...nothing wrong in it, if that's what you do....however, I find with today's improved product's, ( I use L'oreal ), it shouldn't be necessary.

In reality most haircolourants are developed to work with "average" texture hair though extensive product testing. Pre-softening should only be reserved for clients with particularly resistant hair. Resistant hair will have more cuticle layers or more more tightly packed cuticles more often seen in fine hair which has a smaller surface area.

So in reality pro colours have modernised and coverage is 99% of the time good enough without pre softening.
There was just one lady who has a strong mallen (not sure if thats spelt correctly) streat through the frony of her hair who had some translucent whites peeping through but think from now on i will save 10 mins and take out pre softening (30 % ish of my clients have stubbourb strong white hairs)

Kind Regards, Ellis :)

H
Hey! What's the mix for stubborn grey hair in gold well colours? I would love to know. Thanks so much!!

A patch test isn't infallible.
It's only a guide to sensitivity as a client could be ok with the patch test as only a small volume of product will come into contact with the skin but they could still react badly following a global application of colour.

Also, we recommend on SG to always follow manufacturers instructions to ensure that you are covered by your insurance should a client suffer a reaction and want to make a claim against you.

If the manufacturer recommends a specific tint to developer ratio, you should be guided by that. I like to use electronic scales to ensure accuracy.

Hey! What's the mix for stubborn grey hair in gold well colours? I would love to know. Thanks so much!!
In Goldwell Topchic, if it's 100% grey the recommended mix is:
25ml NN to 15ml fashion colour with 40ml developer.

I was taught by goldwell to mix 25ml of developer! and 40ml colour! This was about 5 years ago! However This does work for really stubborn resistant greys! X otherwise it's 1.1 ratio x

I was taught by goldwell to mix 25ml of developer! and 40ml colour! This was about 5 years ago! However This does work for really stubborn resistant greys! X otherwise it's 1.1 ratio x
I do this with L'Oréal too x

your colour mix can't be diluted for grey hair

Latest posts

Back