Does Shellac ever go off or funny?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

anne1984

Reaction score
Hi, I was just wondering if you do not use a bottle of Shellac for a while (like an unpopular colour) does it go off/funny?

Or is it a matter of just keeping in room temp and out of sunlight?

Hi, I was just wondering if you do not use a bottle of Shellac for a while (like an unpopular colour) does it go off/funny?

Or is it a matter of just keeping in room temp and out of sunlight?

Certainly, as you say, Shellac should be tightly closed and kept in an ambient temperature and out of sunlight. If not used Shellac lasts a good long time.

I have a collection of Shellac colours here at home (in Spain) and I only ever use a few favourite colours on myself. I have had some for over 2 years! When I use them to demonstrate in a class they always behave normally and no funny ones yet! lol I do give any bottles I have not used in ages a shake for a greater than normal amount of time before using. Really I have used them for demos to see how well they have lasted .. not come across a problem so far. Still they wont last forever. The less Shellac in the bottle, the more the product will deteriorate if left standing because of evaporation into the void in the bottle.

On the contrary I have had coloured gels that when I have gone back to them after 7 months of non usage, I found the the brushes were frozen into a completely cured nearly full bottle of gel. Kept in the same cupboard as Shellac with lids tightly closed, but I think the 'peep hole' on the label does let enough light in to cure the product eventually if left for too long. Many others have told me they have had the same experience.

Thank you, I will go ahead and buy the rest of the colours then :D

I bought four racks and 48 colours when Shellac came out 2 years ago (wow I can't believe it's 2 years!)

I still have some of those original colours and they are perfect and I've never experienced any problems.

If you find you don't use certain colours, you can use them for nail art... that way you won't have to worry about not using them up. ;)

Latest posts

Back