Does sunscreen effect spray tans

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mixnmatch1

Reaction score
I was wondering,one of my clients is wanting a spray tan before she goes away and i wondered would her applying sunscreen on her hols effect the tan at all? :)

Using suncreen is a good idea as it will keep the skin moisturised. Please note that there are no SPF's in spray tan, so using sunscreen will not only aid the tan but keep the skin from burning. Hope this helps!

I advise my clients who are spray tanning to go on holidays to buy a ONCE a day type sunscreen.

There are quite a few brands that do these apply once a day sunscreens.

I reccomend Boots Soltan as it's affordable and comes in a range of SPF's.

I have factor 50 ready to go away in May :wink2:. The reason I say to use these once products (even though I would be applying once in the morning and then once just after lunch to ensure I don't burn my extreemly pale skin) is because of the oils in suncream.

We know that we say to avoid products with oils so I think a once sunscreen is the best way to go even if it was applied twice in the day it would still be less than a 'normal' sunscreen that needs reapplying every few hours.

**The small print on my Soltan ONCE is:

• One application will last for upto 6 hours of normal use.
  • Apply generously using approx 2 tablespoons of product for the entire body.
  • Rub in and allow 15 minutes before exposure to the sun.
  • One application allows for 40 minutes of water exposure in 6 hours.
  • Reapply if you spend more time in the water.
  • This product is designed for normal wear but should be reapplied after towelling dry or other abrasive contact.
  • Bathing or showering will remove the product.
I also checked that there is no DEET in there as that is known to cause issues with nail treatments (L&P, Gel, Minx etc..).

"Using suncreen is a good idea as it will keep the skin moisturised".... errrrr, NO!!??!

As Baggy says, oils strip a tan. Conventional sunscreen is like a spray tan's #1 enemy. I would strongly advise your client to buy oil-free sunscreen (it exists. We made one which was aloe-based. Not sure if we're bringing it out again this year).

I have been trying to do a lot of research the past few days on oil free moisturiser, body lotion and sun screen. The only 'well known' brand of sunscreen I have found is Piz Buin In Sun range. That actually stated that it is oil free :)

They do a once a day tan also, but it doesn't state oil free

I'm still struggling to find a completely oil free body lotion.....

Latest posts

Back