does the state of your nails affect your business?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nicky's nails

Reaction score
Now i'm not sure if this is posted in right place or not? i did contemplate posting in chit chat, because same thing could apply to skin or hair geeks, but seeing as this is about my nails, i decided to post it here, if its wrong moddies, please shove it over to right place xxx

the other thread about wearing 'false nails' really got me worried

as some of you may know, due to medical problem, my own natural nails are awful, flaky, splitting, stubby, re-occuring onycholysis and paper thin,

i have managed to wear enhancements 3 times in last 7/8 months and only once have i taken them off and nails have been semi ok, when i removed them a week ago (had them on for 3 days) one hand not too bad, still short and thin, but other hand now has 3 with onycholysis on again and then theres the one i caught (bloomin hubby lol) i posted pic of that and thats pretty much what my nails looks like on regular basis, now i am taking multitude of vits and tablets prescribed by doctor and they are getting minute bit better, but still look disgusting, awful, crap, manky, minging - you get the picture

now the first thing anyone does when you say your a nail tech is exmaine you hands, so im always saying " oh im training to be a nail tech, dont look at mine though i have a medical condition that affects mine" before they've got chance to look lol

now some of the replies on other thread, "i dont think id use a tech who didnt wear her own enhancements as it shows her skill" so i suppose its got me thinking i may have been right, is this gonna really hinder my business?

what im wondering is,
a) do you think it will affect business, do you all have pefectly formed nails, if not, do your clients, mind, comment, care?
b) any remedies or little miracles i can try (im desperate ill try nearly anything lol)

sorry for rambling- any thoughts geeky friends xxxxxxxxx

I don't wear enhancements. I have to keep my nails short now that I do beauty, and as I have strong natural nails I don't see the point in faffing about with overlaying them. However people always comment on how lovely my nails look, and as an ex nail biter I am really proud of them. They are however a good advert for my nail biters programme if people want help in giving up nail biting!

I would imagine most people would book over the phone so wont see your nails til their appt.....!! I wouldn't worry too much, with a medical condition you can at least explain why your nails look like they do - I have to explain the reason my natural nails look so manky is the very efficient but nail-wrecking removal system called Vetty's teeth......:o :smack:

hth's

Like Vetty says, most are phone bookings so they will be unaware of what your nails are like, and they will judge you on your work.

You certainly won't lose any regular clients, all they care about really is what their nails look like lol!

I suppose the only thing you may lost out on is just the odd person who happens to say, ooh I love your nails where did you have them done. But give your clients stacks of cards so when people admire theirs, they can pass the word along for you . . .

If you feel uncomfortable about your nails whilst doing a new client, I think if you explain there is a medical reason nobody will judge you. :hug:

Personally i think the job you do speaks volumes more about the way your own look.. very rarely do i get anyone booking an apt by looking at my nails.. most have been word of mouth.. Networking is the best way to get clients IMO!
Chin up mate, look after your health and dont stress about it.. your doing all the right things to get them back in shape and thats your main goal right now huh?
:green:

I'm sorry if you took my post to heart and if you found it offensive :o

I'm only speaking of personal experience. Many years ago, before I started doing my own, I went to see a tech. Her nails were in shoddy shape. She always blamed it on working on clients. And I was never 100% happy with mine and always went home to fix them.

Looking back now, I know that she just wasn't good. She was terrible in fact.

Now, a medical condition is certainly nothing to be ashamed of and doesn't speak of your skill at all, obviously. There are definately occasions/circumstances where the tech can't wear her own work. And that's ok. Perhaps I should have been more clear with my answer. Sorry, it was past my bedtime and I wasn't very alert or thoughtful. :o

BUT in all honesty, my own nails have brought me much business. Whenever they're fancy with art, people want my cards. I get asked by cashiers in stores, at the park with my kids, etc..
When my nails are 'boring', no one bats an eye.
While referrals are the bulk of my business presently, it was my own nails and advertising that brought me most of my clients in the beginning.
And they always say "you did that yourself? It must be hard to do your own? "

Sorry again if my post hurt your feelings.
:hug::hug:

I have to explain the reason my natural nails look so manky is the very efficient but nail-wrecking removal system called Vetty's teeth......:o :smack:

hth's

rofl vetty sorry but tat made me laugh lol, shame is ive never ever bitten my nails, not even as a child , i hate the sensation lol, its no fair pmsl:lol:

I suppose the only thing you may lost out on is just the odd person who happens to say, ooh I love your nails where did you have them done. But give your clients stacks of cards so when people admire theirs, they can pass the word along for you . . .

If you feel uncomfortable about your nails whilst doing a new client, I think if you explain there is a medical reason nobody will judge you. :hug:

thanks hun, appreciate your input, i suppose your right, loads of cards is the way to go lol

Personally i think the job you do speaks volumes more about the way your own look.. very rarely do i get anyone booking an apt by looking at my nails.. most have been word of mouth.. Networking is the best way to get clients IMO!
Chin up mate, look after your health and dont stress about it.. your doing all the right things to get them back in shape and thats your main goal right now huh?
:green:

thanks hunny, comments much appreciated , will make sure i do good job, so word of mouth spreads xxxxxx

I'm sorry if you took my post to heart and if you found it offensive :o

I'm only speaking of personal experience. Many years ago, before I started doing my own, I went to see a tech. Her nails were in shoddy shape. She always blamed it on working on clients. And I was never 100% happy with mine and always went home to fix them.

Looking back now, I know that she just wasn't good. She was terrible in fact.

Now, a medical condition is certainly nothing to be ashamed of and doesn't speak of your skill at all, obviously. There are definately occasions/circumstances where the tech can't wear her own work. And that's ok. Perhaps I should have been more clear with my answer. Sorry, it was past my bedtime and I wasn't very alert or thoughtful. :o

BUT in all honesty, my own nails have brought me much business. Whenever they're fancy with art, people want my cards. I get asked by cashiers in stores, at the park with my kids, etc..
When my nails are 'boring', no one bats an eye.
While referrals are the bulk of my business presently, it was my own nails and advertising that brought me most of my clients in the beginning.
And they always say "you did that yourself? It must be hard to do your own? "

Sorry again if my post hurt your feelings.

hey victoria, no need to apologise hun, you didnt hurt my feelings, you just started me thinking, because it was already a,little seed in my brain, and it just grew and grew lol, just wondered what affect people thought it would have, and ive had some good ideas, about making sure i give happy clients lots of cards to spread about etc

so thanks again, for drawing this to my attention

xxxxxxxx

i dont wear nails a lot to be honest , 1 coz i do beauty and 2 i have a baby and even if i keep em short i always catch her with em and it makes me cringe :lol:
my natural nails arnt the best to be honest , i do bite a bit :eek:, but have only ever had 1 client give me grief over the fact i am a nail tec and dont wear nails ,
i think it does help your business if you wear em , (passing comments etc) but i dont think its so bad if you dont , :)
hth dee xx

I've known many a tech who don't wear " artificial nails"

some because of other reasons ie: file there own too much while working, bowling,garden ,children ect....

I think that no matter how ones nails look it should be the work that is looked upon.....

and since you have a great reputation I would not worry about it .......

I also think that once a client knows you also have a medical condition as well they will understand even more ..........

I have a techie friend who hates having to do infills as she is so busy, so has grown her own nails and just keeps them natural and well manicured. Why not just work on keeping your own nails as best as you can.

My nails are my best advert, but then i don't do beauty which i know means they would be in the way as i do have them long.

You just need to be confident in your ability and let your work speak for itself. Most people don't really take any notice of another techs nails, but at least if they are neat and tidy and you look neat and tidy i don't see a problem.

thanks girls feel better now, will keep working at them , and hope clients understand

xxxxxxx

I swear by folic acid for good strong nails, its good for hair and skin too,
I have a client in her 80`s who has fab nails and swears it is because she takes calci chews,
Check with your own Doctor though before taking anything else if he/she already has you on supplements

IMO my nails are my best form of advertisement.. they are like a walking billboard for what I am able to create... most of my off the street clients are cashers and ppl who say "Oh my Lovely nails".. they immediately get handed a card ;)

I swear by folic acid for good strong nails, its good for hair and skin too,
I have a client in her 80`s who has fab nails and swears it is because she takes calci chews,
Check with your own Doctor though before taking anything else if he/she already has you on supplements

oh god yes, before and when i was preggers i used to take folic acid all the time and my nails were fab, maybe its not all pregnancy hormons eh? might speak to health shop about it

thanks for idea hun xx

Latest posts

Back