Does this set of nails look good enough for a portfolio

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JulesT

Reaction score
I can handle negative feedback!:green:

Hi! It says error when I try to look at the pic so I can't view it? Maybe that's why no one has commented?? :)

I can see them fine and I personally think there gorgeous !!! I would be VERY happy ! X

How long have you been doing nails?

I'll assume they're acrylic. Unless you've already said what they are, in which case, I totally didn't see it.

They look good, however the filing along the free edge could be more smooth. I'm not a big fan of thick white with rounded free edges but I'm not the one wearing them :lol:

I'd like to see the corners of the white a little more sharp. All in all though, they're good.

Thank you, do you think it looks thick. This gal has very wide short nailbeds, and short hands +nails. Elongating the nails are dificult for me.

I know what you mean the ears are not as sharp as what they could be, your right

im alittle embarresed to say I have been doing nails for ten years but, you know I never took photos. And wow, it can sure help improve, I wish I would of done it earlier

Thank you, do you think it looks thick. This gal has very wide short nailbeds, and short hands +nails. Elongating the nails are dificult for me.

If this is how the client likes her whites then so be it but I will say it's not doing her any favors in the making her nails look nice department.
They don't look balanced at all a good rule is 2/3 pink and 1/3 white to get a balanced look.
Because she has wide nails, she is asking for the worst possible look in my opinion and doing herself no favors. It might look a bit better having a different shape maybe, like a square or squoval and not being so round but I doubt it.

As for your workmanship, from what I can see it looks fine. The only thing that I can really see is the F/E is a bit jaggered looking, as in not filed in a nice smooth line and some sidewalls could do with a bit more of a file in but that's all I can see from my quick look over.

I think you need to try and convince this client to try and let you elongate her nail beds by using an opaque cover powder and less of a white F/E and I think she would be converted.

Good luck in presenting your portfolio:)

thank you for your honest opinion, I do feel the same way. i dont know if I wont to include this, because of those reasons, I feel like it is going to get marked against me.

I agree with wooshka ... Not only are these nails not enhancing the look of the client's nails, they will not enhance your reputation as a nail tech.

The outline, the form, of the nail must be consistent.

I would find a person with nice hands and nails to showcase your work how you want it to be perceived by others.

I would not choose a person with short stumpy fingers and short stumpy nail plates who likes their nails to look out of balance, as my model if I were trying to impress. I would not use this photo.

I read what geeg and the other girl said. I think they said what I was trying to be nice about :smack:

I always find the slimmer and nicer the nails, the easier it is for the gal to wear oval enhancements. I personally have man hands (in size, not look), or so I like to tell myself, so I've always done longer, square gels on myself. I finally was able to get my mom to switch too, and she has noticed that not only do her fingers look slimmer, but they break less. Which is a huge plus to square or squoval nails.

As the other poster said, generally speaking, whites should never be larger than 1/3 of the natural nail. I'm all for doing what a client requests, however they will respect you as a tech more if you give them your professional opinion. And enhancements aren't generally cheap so if she's paying 40 pounds (I live in Canada sorry lol) then she would want something that looks great.

I'm sure you could find a girl with really nice long skinny fingers that you could put a set on and take some pictures.

Bit like models. Who really prefers the plus sized! Don't use old hands and stump fingers. Find someone with nice hands and Long nail beds and put a set on free in return for the use of her hands! And also create a nice background not a messy desk!

Thank ou for all your help, I think that confirms how I feel to. I appreciate it! I got to find myself a good model!!! I really appreciate it!

Hi Hun, I agree with all of the above posts, find yourself a great model and showcase your very best work, that in turn, will give you more confidence at the interview too. All the best, and fingers crosssed you get the job:hug: xx

I think if your smile lines were "smiling" these would improve the nails immensely

Hi hun,
like the other ladies said, you need someone with better nails to showcase your work. its not your work but i personally dont like the white/ pink ratio obviously difficult as client has short nails. You might be better finding someone and putting tips on if they have short stumpys, but they look nice and smooth good job xx

maybe stage your photos a bit better?

use a crisp new towel - i find a coloured one quite flattering or nice piece of fresh couch roll?

use the 'touch' up function on your picture editing and it will just fix up the quality of the picture for you

Thank you for the tips! Yeah I have had trouble with taking good photos! I think deeper smile line would have been better on this gal too.

Picture019.jpg picture by juliatester - Photobucket

Picture016.jpg picture by juliatester - Photobucket

Hopefully these links work!:rolleyes: I have never uploaded before..
I am supposed to bring in a photo/s of work that I have done. But I havn't taken photos of any of my work. The interviewer said to take some photos of clients that I did full sets on for the next couple days

Please comment. as a note this gal likes her white thicker, because she wants the white to last longer.

I think this would look great in a portfolio but with a before and after, so many nail biters a mislead by people who 'cant be botherd' to do thair nails, they come to us and tell us they have to have natural or just painted! :)

Latest posts

Back