Does this site, Salon Geek, need an update?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
One more thing though.....I always like to give people the benefit of the doubt and I don't think there is any malicious intent by the thread starter............but it does make me wonder if he goes about telling people their babies are ugly lol :eek:

From what I've heard, it was a typical case of a male putting his foot in it - apparently he's in serious hot water with the missus now!!!
Posted via Mobile Device

I love this site just as it is. When I want to listen to music when geeking I just switch on my ipod! Simples!

What this site has got and I don't think can be replicated on any other site is a wonderful community.

This site has literally changed my life, who I have trained with, what products I use etc., etc

Not to mention the many fantastic friends that I have met on here. :green:

Ok think I better chip in here, and lay down where Salontweet came from.

My younger sister is a laywer. She hates her job and she sees how much I love what I do. She joined Salongeek back in January and asked what she deemed a good question as in terms of education. (she never listens to me as we rarely see eye to eye). Anyway I think the question was something to do with a correspondance course or something and she got witch hunted off by those against this kind of thing - which in all fairness these courses are crap but a non therapist is not going to know this.

She even got a moderator say some nasty things to her and the post ultimatly closed. She never returned.

She set up a website (can't even remember its name) to allow people to go to find suppliers/training courses and get advise about starting in the industry and also supporting them with legal advice, business advise and such.

Anyway shes a little easily mislead and bounced about not doing anything with it, and when I learnt what she had done I tried to help her out, hence why the domain is in my name, my dad registered it and sorted it out for her as neither of my brothers or sisters have much knowledge about the computer world.

Even at first I did not realise it was my own sister as she kept it to herself and I signed up by an e-mail I received from the site. When she asked me about it a few days later I did believe she had a lot of things sussed. Although I agree some things I do not totally agree with but just because I am related to someone does not make me have the same opinions.

BTW I have 9 brothers and sisters and she is the 2nd to have been run off the site, because the other one (living with me at the time and working for me) got shoved off too.

As such I use it a lot, its very user friendly and it compliments Salongeek well. Jaymies intentions were never to cull salongeek and nor are mine.

Salongeek has a good community spirit once you get past your first 100 posts and providing you don't use those first few posts to say anything too dumb. However there is little forgiveness for the non therapist that stumbles on this site looking for a career change. Few understand or comprehend what deems as a good course or product etc from outside the industry.

I have been in the industry 14 years and even I got duped by paying thousands for CND training only to find out my certificates are useless. Something that knocked my confidence totally with nails and with Creative themselves. I am not the only nail technician conned by people falsely representing themselves as CND education centres neither so you can see why others get easily misled too.

On top of this I find out by someone on here these certs are not valid and who called the educater no end on a PM only to later in a further thread sing her praises - Slightly confusing for an old timer in the industry even more so for a non therapist. We should embrace all new therapists and show them the way which is the only way we are ever going to get training standards and therapists standards raised.

All forums have their flaws, but thats why there is so many to choose from. If facebook & myspace merged it would be super.

Salontweets event section is a good idea because people can find a course in there area which isn't something I have seen here and hopefully will help newbies find decent trainers and courses rather than ebay courses for a fiver. Hopefully your feedback on these trainers will give an oversight to the newbie about how good the training is and what the after care is like.

It also has more of a myspace feel to it with the information of the user and their activity all on one page, along with instant messenger etc.

Jaymie still owns the actual site, I am not interested in running it myself as I do not have the time or the need to feel a power trip by owning it, hence I keep my personal relationships to people to myself, Out of a family of business people good and bad I feel no way pressurised to be associated with them, and rather from my own merit.

My contribution here on Salongeek has always been varied, I do not hover the tanning questions like a vulture looking for work, but to assist others that are having problems, or who have suffered poor training, equipment or advice that stops them achieving their dreams.

I comment on all aspects of the site and try to remain as professional as possible. Although from a distributors point of view this site will remain loyal towards those that advertise frequently and therefore turn a blind eye to one distributor and slam another one down for it which is not fair, especially when that same company is putting others down.

I agree I have had my hands slapped a few times, like a lot of people on here, and thats mainly because I followed what other people were openly doing and getting away with and I was the one that got slammed for it.

As far as expelling distributors and trainers from any forum is cutting off a crucial line of help and advise, often unbiased to help the therapist in question. We were not all distributors for life, many of us have come from varied backgrounds and have various methods tried and tested we can put on the table and hopefully we form a valued part of the community.

I do feel some people here do try to bring the worst out in people and try to condesend other peoples comments to manipulate a topic to there way of thinking. There are also many unprofessional comments completly unrelated to the beauty industry which this forum is devoted for.

Obviously I am not going to back stab my sister, but I will ask her to address some of the comments on the other site as they are not necessery. hopefully both sites will work fine in harmony together.

Any professional and successful business person will say the key to business success in networking and having all day access to training, suppliers and industry updates. Hopefully all gaps have been filled by both sites.

As you see I am not a moderator over there - don't want to be, but I know Jaymie needs some to keep some people in line.

I have never hidden the association with salontweet when people have asked, nor have I or Jaymie used the PM system on here or private e-mails to spam for members. I have linked to my blogs there and recommended one person on here join - just the one - and no more than that - and not for underhand, back stabbing or other motives. It was so they could list courses on there that they would be holding.

And I know the e-mails on the PM system all get read and monitored from the last time I made a mistake, trying to do someone a favour and got me in trouble, so I wouldnt do it again! Also Jaymie does not use salon geek cause she got bullied off here so I doubt (and sincerly hope) that she does not spam on here.

I do not use this site as a cash cow. As my google ads advert comes up on here lots, and so technically I contribute to this site by paying salongeek for the privilage of all the adverts that pop up at £1 a click, I get my own form of advertising on here already. Although I am surprised that some geeks are against the adverts yet they are all over this site and have uncontrolled content. This site is a money spinner from the banner ads, google adwords and subscriptions, which other sites such as tanprofessionals (NOT OWNED BY ME), Healthypages.net (ALSO NOT OWNED BY ME), handbag.com (NOT OWNED BY ME), and main ones such as Facebook, Myspace etc are about.

Jaymie did not design the site to create a revenue stream from, she hasn't got that kind of business mentality. I personally would have, but then its great not seeing google adwords everywhere sometimes too.

If you wish me to meet Jaymie herself I am hoping to drag her to the beauty show on Sunday, where you can all blame her NOT me for the site. I am just the one who got my Dad to sort out some of it for her. Now I will no doubt be witch hunted for life!

Oh and it has a music player :green: lol!

One more thing though.....I always like to give people the benefit of the doubt and I don't think there is any malicious intent by the thread starter............but it does make me wonder if he goes about telling people their babies are ugly lol :eek:

:green: lol - Yes but the question remains why do people always go aahhhhh he/shes beautiful if the baby on question really is on the unfortunate looking side. My poor niece looks like my dad - bald, fat & wrinkly!

Ok think I better chip in here, and lay down where Salontweet came from.

My younger sister is a laywer. She hates her job and she sees how much I love what I do. She joined Salongeek back in January and asked what she deemed a good question as in terms of education. (she never listens to me as we rarely see eye to eye). Anyway I think the question was something to do with a correspondance course or something and she got witch hunted off by those against this kind of thing - which in all fairness these courses are crap but a non therapist is not going to know this.

She even got a moderator say some nasty things to her and the post ultimatly closed. She never returned.

She set up a website (can't even remember its name) to allow people to go to find suppliers/training courses and get advise about starting in the industry and also supporting them with legal advice, business advise and such.

Anyway shes a little easily mislead and bounced about not doing anything with it, and when I learnt what she had done I tried to help her out, hence why the domain is in my name, my dad registered it and sorted it out for her as neither of my brothers or sisters have much knowledge about the computer world.

Even at first I did not realise it was my own sister as she kept it to herself and I signed up by an e-mail I received from the site. When she asked me about it a few days later I did believe she had a lot of things sussed. Although I agree some things I do not totally agree with but just because I am related to someone does not make me have the same opinions.

BTW I have 9 brothers and sisters and she is the 2nd to have been run off the site, because the other one (living with me at the time and working for me) got shoved off too.

As such I use it a lot, its very user friendly and it compliments Salongeek well. Jaymies intentions were never to cull salongeek and nor are mine.

Salongeek has a good community spirit once you get past your first 100 posts and providing you don't use those first few posts to say anything too dumb. However there is little forgiveness for the non therapist that stumbles on this site looking for a career change. Few understand or comprehend what deems as a good course or product etc from outside the industry.

I have been in the industry 14 years and even I got duped by paying thousands for CND training only to find out my certificates are useless. Something that knocked my confidence totally with nails and with Creative themselves. I am not the only nail technician conned by people falsely representing themselves as CND education centres neither so you can see why others get easily misled too.

On top of this I find out by someone on here these certs are not valid and who called the educater no end on a PM only to later in a further thread sing her praises - Slightly confusing for an old timer in the industry even more so for a non therapist. We should embrace all new therapists and show them the way which is the only way we are ever going to get training standards and therapists standards raised.

All forums have their flaws, but thats why there is so many to choose from. If facebook & myspace merged it would be super.

Salontweets event section is a good idea because people can find a course in there area which isn't something I have seen here and hopefully will help newbies find decent trainers and courses rather than ebay courses for a fiver. Hopefully your feedback on these trainers will give an oversight to the newbie about how good the training is and what the after care is like.

It also has more of a myspace feel to it with the information of the user and their activity all on one page, along with instant messenger etc.

Jaymie still owns the actual site, I am not interested in running it myself as I do not have the time or the need to feel a power trip by owning it, hence I keep my personal relationships to people to myself, Out of a family of business people good and bad I feel no way pressurised to be associated with them, and rather from my own merit.

My contribution here on Salongeek has always been varied, I do not hover the tanning questions like a vulture looking for work, but to assist others that are having problems, or who have suffered poor training, equipment or advice that stops them achieving their dreams.

I comment on all aspects of the site and try to remain as professional as possible. Although from a distributors point of view this site will remain loyal towards those that advertise frequently and therefore turn a blind eye to one distributor and slam another one down for it which is not fair, especially when that same company is putting others down.

I agree I have had my hands slapped a few times, like a lot of people on here, and thats mainly because I followed what other people were openly doing and getting away with and I was the one that got slammed for it.

As far as expelling distributors and trainers from any forum is cutting off a crucial line of help and advise, often unbiased to help the therapist in question. We were not all distributors for life, many of us have come from varied backgrounds and have various methods tried and tested we can put on the table and hopefully we form a valued part of the community.

I do feel some people here do try to bring the worst out in people and try to condesend other peoples comments to manipulate a topic to there way of thinking. There are also many unprofessional comments completly unrelated to the beauty industry which this forum is devoted for.

Obviously I am not going to back stab my sister, but I will ask her to address some of the comments on the other site as they are not necessery. hopefully both sites will work fine in harmony together.

Any professional and successful business person will say the key to business success in networking and having all day access to training, suppliers and industry updates. Hopefully all gaps have been filled by both sites.

As you see I am not a moderator over there - don't want to be, but I know Jaymie needs some to keep some people in line.

I have never hidden the association with salontweet when people have asked, nor have I or Jaymie used the PM system on here or private e-mails to spam for members. I have linked to my blogs there and recommended one person on here join - just the one - and no more than that - and not for underhand, back stabbing or other motives. It was so they could list courses on there that they would be holding.

And I know the e-mails on the PM system all get read and monitored from the last time I made a mistake, trying to do someone a favour and got me in trouble, so I wouldnt do it again! Also Jaymie does not use salon geek cause she got bullied off here so I doubt (and sincerly hope) that she does not spam on here.

I do not use this site as a cash cow. As my google ads advert comes up on here lots, and so technically I contribute to this site by paying salongeek for the privilage of all the adverts that pop up at £1 a click, I get my own form of advertising on here already. Although I am surprised that some geeks are against the adverts yet they are all over this site and have uncontrolled content. This site is a money spinner from the banner ads, google adwords and subscriptions, which other sites such as tanprofessionals (NOT OWNED BY ME), Healthypages.net (ALSO NOT OWNED BY ME), handbag.com (NOT OWNED BY ME), and main ones such as Facebook, Myspace etc are about.

Jaymie did not design the site to create a revenue stream from, she hasn't got that kind of business mentality. I personally would have, but then its great not seeing google adwords everywhere sometimes too.

If you wish me to meet Jaymie herself I am hoping to drag her to the beauty show on Sunday, where you can all blame her NOT me for the site. I am just the one who got my Dad to sort out some of it for her. Now I will no doubt be witch hunted for life!

Oh and it has a music player :green: lol!

from the posts i have read on salon TWEET i thought you were Beauty Guru. . . .

I find it very odd that you feel the need to post and lay the "blame" at your sisters door for setting up salontweet. You seem a little too keen to distance yourself from it.

There is certainly plenty of room for both sites and Im sure everyone will learn to live with both, whether they use both or not.

You know, this is one of these threads where we're all screaming at the screen...

'FIR FFFF.....LIP SAKE, GET A LIFE! T**T'

but we're all professionals, so we dont actually type it!:lol::lol:

(well you know me, sorry:smack:)

Lordy I hate it when people multi quote replies like this, but I suppose I need to in order to my response on track. Ill just focus on the points that I think need to be addressed.

So far there have been few 'compliments'. Mainly a lot of ugliness and activity that is pretty embarrassing actually.

Getting conned in this industry unfortunately can happen (just like any industry). This I suppose is why so many people get so emotional over people coming on asking about correspondence courses or cheap 2 day courses. Because they care. Because of our policies and community here, I guarantee you wouldn't have gone on a fake CND course had you looked here first. I doubt that will be true of other sites that simply wouldn't know.

That would be hell. And be all the reason I would ever need not to return to Facebook :D

Its always great when its in theory or in incubation. But like many things in life, bad apples spoil the lot. Wait until it becomes the spam point these things generally do. It'll kind of suck if someone uses it to book onto a fake course like you did (at least I would think it sucks). Ideas are great, we got em by the bucket load. But past experience has taught us to measure twice and cut once.

Although from a distributors point of view this site will remain loyal toward those that advertise frequently and therefore turn a blind eye to one distributor and slam another one down for it which is not fair, especially when that same company is putting others down.

This is a complete load of tosh and shows very little understanding of the work that goes into managing this site. To be totally honest, I hate the advertising and its far more work to manage than the site ever earns from it.

As several advertisers will attest to... placing an ad here buys you zilch in any privilege what-so-ever. In fact, some of the 'strongest' discussions (if you can call them that) have been member advertisers.

Advertising is here (at a stupidly small price) as a service to the community as it allows distributors to legitimately communicate sales and event information without using manipulation to do it. Users can ignore ads easily and not have to wade through manipulated threads to get their information.

Sorry, I just had to comment that this is silly and sounds like something my son would say if he was grounded for doing something wrong "but he did it first!"

No one has 'cut off' any distributor. Hell, I am a distributor. Does being a distributor mean you cannot add value to the community unless you get a slae in return? What we don't allow is for the community to be used as cash cows. If that sucks for you, then it sucks for you. Sorry.

I do feel some people here do try to bring the worst out in people and try to condescend other peoples comments to manipulate a topic to there way of thinking. There are also many unprofessional comments completely unrelated to the beauty industry which this forum is devoted for.

I'm not sure what you mean about people bringing out the worst in other people. If a post can easily turn you into Mrs. Hyde, I think there are other issues there. Sure, people can read into messages (and do all the time) which can get an emotional response, but the adult way of dealing with that is through the countless methods we have through the site of letting the mod team know there is a problem.

If the unprofessional comments thing is about the Chit-Chat forum, you're right. But that is part of a community (like minded people sharing like minded things). At least far more than a music player ;)

Obviously I am not going to back stab my sister, but I will ask her to address some of the comments on the other site as they are not necessary. hopefully both sites will work fine in harmony together.

It concerns me greatly that this has to actually be asked of someone.

Hopefully all gaps have been filled by both sites.

What gaps were those again? Gaps in common courtesy were all I noticed.

I am sorry to hear that considering the serious lack of activity there. If you are already having problems 'keeping people in line' this early in the game... well... best of luck ;)

And I know the e-mails on the PM system all get read and monitored from the last time I made a mistake, trying to do someone a favour and got me in trouble, so I wouldn't do it again! Also Jaymie does not use salon geek cause she got bullied off here so I doubt (and sincerely hope) that she does not spam on here.

Woah there tiger! We do not read and monitor PM's here. We do however have a handy 'Report PM' button that is there for users to notify the team of spam and such. Just another 'outdated' tool to enforce our stringent overbearing policies I suppose.

As to the 'Bullied off' comment... I can't really comment myself as I have no clue what you are talking about. However from your post, I can put 2 and 2 together to assume it went something like:
Jaymie: I want to do beauty. Can anyone recommend a correspondence course
Geeks: Thats crazy you need to do it in person.

I am sure both sides got heated over this discussion and you yourself said these course are crap.

Now, the sulky thing would be to go off and make you're own Geek site so that you can get the response you are after.

Or the adult thing would be to notify the team so we can send people to the naughty step for awhile.

Although I am surprised that some geeks are against the adverts yet they are all over this site and have uncontrolled content. This site is a money spinner from the banner ads, google adwords and subscriptions, which other sites such as tanprofessionals (NOT OWNED BY ME), Healthypages.net (ALSO NOT OWNED BY ME), handbag.com (NOT OWNED BY ME), and main ones such as Facebook, Myspace etc are about.

I snipped some of the rambling out of this above quote for brevity. But must say I have no clue what you're on about. Uncontrolled content? If you mean the Google ads, then thats controlled by Google (though I can ensure certain ads do not appear). As far as a money spinner, you're right. I could live on baked beans for the rest of my life on what we pull in here.

I am sure I could really work at turning it into a 'money spinner' (i.e. sell off email addresses, list rent, etc...) but I would think if anyone who spent 2 minutes on this site could gather... it clearly isn't something I would do.

Now, if I were just using the $10 a month shared hosting option that you can get with many *hrm* some sites... that would be great. But sadly I invest in arguably the best dedicated, managed servers to host this site. The activity in 10 minutes would crush a shared hosting provider.

So. Here we are. End of the dreaded post dissection (did I mention I hate it when people do that?).

Thanks for the clarity but I have to be honest here. I've been pretty afronted from the start of this whole drama. Unprofessional content posted 'there' that would have instantly been dealt with here, the nonsense postings and this stupid thread (well, at least some stupid posts in this thread) have all left a pretty rancid taste in my mouth regarding 'the other' site.

So, please do not try to pass off as a compliment to SalonGeek as so far its been pretty much an insult. Its a site set up by a disgruntled non professional that didn't get the response she was looking for here.

Best of luck to you over there. From my experience so far and from what you've typed above, you're going to need as much as you can get.

Ta-ra!

I have to confess I do tend to agree with you Isabel and to feel that the original poster meant no malice in his posting and that the intent was genuine..all be it perhaps in insights rather silly and most certainly not helped by his subsequent comments im sure the poor guy is regretting the typing of each and every letter of it right now...am I right Steve?.

There is not one peep on this forum that hasn't at one time posted something wrongly....... one of the more endearing aspects of the human character is one of being able and willing to forgive and forget :hug:

Maybe this is one such time that this enduring characteristic comes to the forefront.....even the law asks the jury to considers "intent" as a major factor in any guilty or not guilty decision they may make.

Having looked at the rival site I note that there are more new sign ups today than the site has ever had as a whole...could it be that the only real winner from all this is the competing site which yet again has driven a further benifit from this very one :eek:

I think poor Steve has suffered enough and indeed if Dawn is that annoyed with his posting im sure that he will duly be made to suffer more wroth than is bearable for any bloke when his soup bowl is served up to him at the dinner table empty or filled with stinging nettles and that he has to sleep on the sofa for the next year.

The real issue here seems to now be one that is beginning to materialize with the more recent postings.....is it right to use one medium to attract others...morally not but there is no doubt that the sign ups today on the new site are at an all time high as a result of this whole thread.....

Now that ain't right...is it :hug:

Well, in what appears to be a rather underhanded way, the thread starter and forum owner have certainly got their wish!!!!

5 pages of talking!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Yes a lot about this site but in essence, the other site.

Samuel does far more than he should do in his spare time working on this site (I know that for a fact!) and this is just giving him so much more work by answering it all.

IF YOU DON'T LIKE THIS SITE THEN GO TO ANOTHER ONE! (yes I am shouting and that is very rare for me!)

For goodness sake stop talking about the other site because it is just what is wanted!

Keep posting and talking and you are falling into the trap!

Having looked at the rival site I note that there are more new sign ups today than the site has ever had as a whole...could it be that the only real winner from all this is the competing site which yet again has driven a further benifit from this very one :eek:

I guess that no publicity is bad publicity lol...
Posted via Mobile Device

Rubbish - if people listen to sound advice they will be supported all the way. We were all newbies once and most of us never forget it. If a new member wades in, shouts the odds and then complains when no-one agrees with them they will get short shrift.

I have been in the industry 14 years and even I got duped by paying thousands for CND training only to find out my certificates are useless. Something that knocked my confidence totally with nails and with Creative themselves.

Why should that knock your confidence with CND? How are they at fault in this instance?

And who is the controller of what courses are being held where? Who knows if they are good courses or not? Do you not think that if it were that easy someone would be doing it already?

Also Jaymie does not use salon geek cause she got bullied off here so I doubt (and sincerly hope) that she does not spam on here.

In the 5 years I have been an active member on here I have never seen 'bullying'. People not agreeing with you is not bullying.

Your post is a sad case of trying to justify your actions. If Salongeek.com doesn't work for you then don't log onto the site.

I guess that no publicity is bad publicity lol...
Posted via Mobile Device

Unfortunately Ruth that isn't the point I was trying to make ...your possibly right though but bad publicity is...well erm ..bad publicity :hug:

I honestly wish this topic would be closed. That said, referring to number1kitty's point about being a part of the community, I didn't need 100 posts to feel part of the community and boy did I say, with hindsight, some pretty dumb things. Maybe it can sometimes come down to how a poster takes the comments given in reply to their questions and how the way they then go on to answer? :hug:

Ye, suppose we can pull the lock and key out for this one.

I guess knew this would generate more registrants for them but couldn't help myself ;) . But I suppose the registrations are less about people wanting to join, rather I suspect that the registrations are because thats the only way you can see any content.

Anyhoo. Hope it worked for them.

Thanks for everyone for your support of SalonGeek.com without it I would have to install a music player (Hah! I knew I could get that in at least once more!)

nJoy and Geek On :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back